WOW! Respect for The American! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WOW! Respect for The American!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
This is related to the excellent football season put in this season.
Television needs programming. The AAC has large cities and the league is gaining respect.
The AAC should get a much better contract if it stays together.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
A 7 may be high but I am not sure you will find a bracket projection with them lower than 10.

The point is, the idea that AAC got screwed is ludicrous and completely unsupported.

I'm not arguing it's a screw job for the league, (since Tulsa shouldn't be in the field at all) but I think we- UConn- got hosed a seed or two after seeing the placements of Oregon St. and Cuse specifically. We got shown less respect, and we are in the American. So in a roundabout way, through us, the conference was shown a little disrespect. I probably shouldn't have mentioned Temple. Anyway, normally a 9 for our resume is probably right on, but after seeing the rest of the seedings, I think the committee did a poor job.

We played teams out of conference. It's not our fault OSU and Georgetown sucked. We beat Texas in Texas. We won our conference tourney and have 24 wins. A 9 is too low when OSU got a 7. I'm sorry, to me that's just crap.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Huh? Please elaborate. Not sure how 9s, 10s, and 11s should be matched up so they don't meet the top teams...
8/9 Colorado v. UConn. This is a tough 8/9 game, winner gets the #1 overall seed Kansas. I have no problem with the

8/9 St. Joe's v. Cincinnati. This is the one I don't get. We beat them in the AAC Quarters, (I know we go 0-2 in regular season), and they get blessed with the A10 Tourney Champ. Winner gets Oregon. I feel like Oregon is a much better draw than Kansas. Seems like the committee placed more of an emphasis on the regular season.

7/10 Iowa vs. Temple. Have a good night Temple Iowa is about 2-3 seed lines underseeded. Then you get Villanova who sucks in the first weekend. I feel like UConn or Cincinnati could have been in this spot.

11/11 Michigan v. Tulsa. How. This is and the Temple game are the best draws here. They get to go to Brooklyn and play Notre Dame in the 1st round. If we lost to Memphis maybe we landed here?

I don't know. The best two teams in the conference got the worst draws. Tulsa gets embarrassed by Memphis in a must-win situation and then gets rewarded with a dynamite draw. Odd.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think this is true. St. Bonnaventure left out with RPI #30!

Committee seemed inconsistent, didn't rely on advanced OR RPI. Which to me means they actually used their eyes and/or discussion, which is great.

In other words, make it up as they go along.

St. Bonaventure deserved to be in the field. After that, no one can really complain, and Tulsa and Syracuse owe committee members some lap dances.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Don't let this fact color your opinion
The committee allowing 4 ACC teams in was to playoff the crap they took last year and felt very safe doing so because SMU was not playing and they see no danger in the rest of the league
This was their best chance to "payback" while still not doing any real favors
If you call giving the league tournament champion a #9 seed with a date in the second game with the #1 overall team as any form of respect - you need to rethink that statement

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I'm not arguing it's a screw job for the league, (since Tulsa shouldn't be in the field at all) but I think we- UConn- got hosed a seed or two after seeing the placements of Oregon St. and Cuse specifically. We got shown less respect, and we are in the American. So in a roundabout way, through us, the conference was shown a little disrespect. I probably shouldn't have mentioned Temple. Anyway, normally a 9 for our resume is probably right on, but after seeing the rest of the seedings, I think the committee did a poor job.

We played teams out of conference. It's not our fault OSU and Georgetown sucked. We beat Texas in Texas. We won our conference tourney and have 24 wins. A 9 is too low when OSU got a 7. I'm sorry, to me that's just crap.
Oregon State had a better RPI, more top 25 wins, more top 50 wins, more top 100 and a MUCH better NCOOC, but hey lets not let facts get in the way!

Wanting credit for the bolded is laughable.

If you think we got hosed by a seed who cares, we play basically the same team and play a 1 in 2nd round. It makes no difference.

Reaction Score
8/9 Colorado v. UConn. This is a tough 8/9 game, winner gets the #1 overall seed Kansas. I have no problem with the

8/9 St. Joe's v. Cincinnati. This is the one I don't get. We beat them in the AAC Quarters, (I know we go 0-2 in regular season), and they get blessed with the A10 Tourney Champ. Winner gets Oregon. I feel like Oregon is a much better draw than Kansas. Seems like the committee placed more of an emphasis on the regular season.

7/10 Iowa vs. Temple. Have a good night Temple Iowa is about 2-3 seed lines underseeded. Then you get Villanova who sucks in the first weekend. I feel like UConn or Cincinnati could have been in this spot.

11/11 Michigan v. Tulsa. How. This is and the Temple game are the best draws here. They get to go to Brooklyn and play Notre Dame in the 1st round. If we lost to Memphis maybe we landed here?

I don't know. The best two teams in the conference got the worst draws. Tulsa gets embarrassed by Memphis in a must-win situation and then gets rewarded with a dynamite draw. Odd.
There is stretching to make a point and then there is this. Tulsa, a team who has to play a play in game has a better draw? Come on.

UConn got the seed they deserved, wanting a "easy draw" is laughable. This is the NCAA tournament. You have to beat good teams.

Reaction Score
Then you have no clue what you are talking about.

No one had Oregon state on the bubble.
To be fair, I thought--and still think!--they are a fraud and their resume is a joke. But actual bracketologists disagreed.

Reaction Score
To be fair, I thought--and still think!--they are a fraud and their resume is a joke. But actual bracketologists disagreed.
They may stink, their advanced metrics are not good, but with their RPI numbers they were 100% making it with a somewhat decent seed

Reaction Score

St. Bonaventure deserved to be in the field. After that, no one can really complain, and Tulsa and Syracuse owe committee members some lap dances.
St. Bonaventure had no right to be in the tournament, and the committee nailed that.

Reaction Score
I don't like our seed. Thought we should get around a 7. A potential 2nd rd matchup with KU is interesting if we beat Colorado.

I liked Temple's chances. Tulsa is a head scratcher but so is Cuse.

Reaction Score
Oregon State had a better RPI, more top 25 wins, more top 50 wins, more top 100 and a MUCH better NCOOC, but hey lets not let facts get in the way!

Wanting credit for the bolded is laughable.

If you think we got hosed by a seed who cares, we play basically the same team and play a 1 in 2nd round. It makes no difference.
Their best RPI win was Tulsa. Not impressed.

That said, I'm just quibbling. I agree with your points here.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We were likely not in the tournament. How much advancement did anyone expect from beating 2 other bubble teams and Memphis?
The only ranked team in our conference isn't in the tourney. Our conference's best attribute is how many bubble-type teams we had. Five counting Houston.
But there is no conspiracy.Our teams are in that 30-42 range

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
St. Bonaventure had no right to be in the tournament, and the committee nailed that.

Other than overall record, RPI, record vs. Top 50, and record vs. Top 100, you make a great point.

Reaction Score
Other than overall record, RPI, record vs. Top 50, and record vs. Top 100, you make a great point.
Regale me again with their wins over Buffalo and Ohio, Davidson and George Washington.

In all seriousness, these were their Top 50 wins:

20 @Dayton
23 St. Joe's
23 @St. Joe's

Notice the lack of OOC wins...

Even their losses:

20 Dayton
33 @VCU

Now, to their 51-100 wins:

59 Davidson
65 George Washingon
80 Ohio
91 Buffalo

That's not an NCAA tournament team...but maybe I would concede if they didn't also have these losses:

101 @Siena
158 Dusquesne
232 La Salle

Or if their advanced metrics weren't:

KenPom: 79
Sagarin: 79
BPI: 75

So, yeah. I'm going to say I'm unimpressed. At least Syracuse beat Duke on the road....

Reaction Score
That Oregon state team is absolutely horrible. 7 seed with 19 wins? Uhhhhh
Even if the NCAA only uses the RPI to group wins, they look pretty good because the PAC had such a ridiculously inflated RPI.

Reaction Score
Even if the NCAA only uses the RPI to group wins, they look pretty good because the PAC had such a ridiculously inflated RPI.
It's ridiculous. One of the most effed up brackets I remember. Can't even wrap my head around filling one out right now. Not just cause I'm drunk.

Reaction Score
UConn got the seed they deserved, wanting a "easy draw" is laughable. This is the NCAA tournament. You have to beat good teams.
To win championships. Most here (including myself) just want a Sweet Sixteen. That would be a huge turnaround and success for this season.

There are certainly teams that have easier routes to that round.

Reaction Score
If Memphis beat UConn they would have knocked Tulsa out.

Reaction Score

What's the point of a committee if you don't want them making decisions about who they think is good? Otherwise just use a computer ranking like the RPI. They clearly pulled from different sources and made judgments.

I wish they'd put less emphasis on certain metrics (top X RPI wins for sure), but I like them going against the grain and not just getting pulled into the groupthink.

Reaction Score
We were likely not in the tournament. How much advancement did anyone expect from beating 2 other bubble teams and Memphis?
The only ranked team in our conference isn't in the tourney. Our conference's best attribute is how many bubble-type teams we had. Five counting Houston.
But there is no conspiracy.Our teams are in that 30-42 range
I disagree 100%. I think UConn was in before the AAC started. After they beat Cincy, it was already determined that Cincy was a 9 as was the winner of the UConn/Temple game. The loser was a 10. Sadly, being in the 10 would have been a better draw.

Reaction Score
You are not alone:
Two Double Digit Seeds favored by Vegas:
#11 Gonzaga -2.5 over #6 Seton Hall
#10 VCU -3 over #7 Oregon State

Reaction Score
I disagree 100%. I think UConn was in before the AAC started. After they beat Cincy, it was already determined that Cincy was a 9 as was the winner of the UConn/Temple game. The loser was a 10. Sadly, being in the 10 would have been a better draw.
I think this is pretty spot on.

With KU being the #1 overall seed that means we are the #1 9 seed, that is 13 spots from being out. I do not think we jumped 13 spots this weekend, we were in before the Cincy game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom