Wouldn’t be surprised if Geno retires | The Boneyard

Wouldn’t be surprised if Geno retires

Reaction Score
Why would Geno come back? Obviously, I hope he does but I just don’t see why he would.
All of his comments made in the tournament sounded like his love for the game is dwindling.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
sarcastic or serious.jpg

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Oh, I don't know: a couple million dollars a year, to fulfill his contract, to pass Pat Summit as the all time winningest coach in a little over 2 seasons, to honor commitments he made to recruits, or maybe, just maybe that he loves coaching basketball.
Good point. He doesn't strike me as the kind of person that would sign a five-year extension and then quit a year or so later.

This thought is not original with me, but part of him might feel like he doesn't want what he's built to deteriorate.

Reaction Score
Why would Geno come back? Obviously, I hope he does but I just don’t see why he would.
All of his comments made in the tournament sounded like his love for the game is dwindling.

If his love for the game is dwindling maybe it’s because he’s been reading some of the more “enlightening” comments made in this forum after the ND loss.

Reaction Score
Geno is a proud man. IMO, he wants to go out on top, not after two seasons in a row where his teams just missed making it to the championship game. He'll be back and hungry to win his next NC. I'm sure he feels worse for the team than he does for himself. He is already a legend.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The way GA coached the last two semi's Hope he retire"s and runs his restaurants He's getting senile. GA needs to back up his sarcastic remarks with results
Yea, cause winning 11 NC's, having the highest winning percentage, the most FF appearances, having the 3 longest winning streaks don't really count as "results".

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The way GA coached the last two semi's Hope he retire"s and runs his restaurants He's getting senile. GA needs to back up his sarcastic remarks with results
Good lawd - some of these comments...

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Frankly, Geno has no reason to retire except to lie back on a beach and look at the sights. And, that is not him. Do you really think a man that is that competitive would just step down? Look, Geno is not . Although many think that he walks on water, he a man that pursues excellence more than most. He has many successes and he makes a few mistakes. But if you consider his losses versus wins, he is one of a kind.

There are a lot of things that folks have expressed that they like what he does and conversely, there are things that some folks do not approve of. So what is new. What is consistent, is that he has very good people to work with and personnel on his team that many other coaches wish they would have.

After Sue Bird, Swin Cash, et. al. left, he was left with Taurasi, the team members and a few new recruits. Somehow, he managed to win 2 National Championships in a row. I for one would like to see him recruit this Sveta 6 10" prospect from Russia by the name Olga Stepallovaya. That would make me very warm and fuzzy knowing that we had someone only 3 feet away from the basket and whose hands touch the rims without jumping.

Reaction Score
Just as an aside, I’m curious to know how he coached differently in the two semifinal overtime losses than he did in the 72 wins over the same time frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion that GA would thrive in an environment where so much is now a bit unknown. The lower expectations by the so called prognosticators will give next years team an edge that they haven't had in awhile - being the underdog that no one expects much from. Should be a fun year to watch.

Reaction Score
I for one would like to see him recruit this Sveta 6 10" prospect from Russia by the name Olga Stepallovaya. That would make me very warm and fuzzy knowing that we had someone only 3 feet away from the basket and whose hands touch the rims without jumping.
I think he swore off trying to recruit Russian athletes after the debacle with Ivana Jumpovaya.

Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion that GA would thrive in an environment where so much is now a bit unknown. The lower expectations by the so called prognosticators will give next years team an edge that they haven't had in awhile - being the underdog that no one expects much from. Should be a fun year to watch.
That “underdog” status will only last through about the first weekend or so, after we’ve mutilated one lower-ranked OOC opponent and whacked the first top 5 team we play by 25 or so. Then it’s back to business-as-usual, setting up a big #1 vs. #2 ESPN event with ND. Seriously, I don’t get all the angst about next year’s roster. Who wouldn’t be happy with 3 returning starters including 2 senior All Amercans, 2 additional HS #1’s including one with a year of UConn experience, plus ONO, Batouly & more - geez...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom