Wouldn’t be surprised if Geno retires | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wouldn’t be surprised if Geno retires

Reaction Score
Next season will be an opportunity for one of Geno's BEST Years of COACHING. He will have to find new ways to reach the kind of success he and we all want for his team. Next year will be one where he will run away with all the Coaching Awards and most deservedly so!..

Reaction Score
Geno is going to have a fun year next season, it is a lot more fun to not have high expectations of a NC before the season starts. Geno and staff will do every thing they can to work their magic with the girls. I am expecting a very exciting season next year. Got to love our Huskies.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Most of the winners I knew, wanted to go out as a Winner!

Reaction Score
Geno is going to have a fun year next season, it is a lot more fun to not have high expectations of a NC before the season starts. Geno and staff will do every thing they can to work their magic with the girls. I am expecting a very exciting season next year. Got to love our Huskies.[/QUOTE
Excellent post. Little or no pressure at least to begin with. Probably a few losses along the way to OOC teams. Maybe the team can sneak up on people and jell tournament time.

Reaction Score
Why would Geno retire? Probably for the same reason that Wooden retired. The landscape and players changed. They both were systems coaches who's players bought into their system. When too many players come out of high school wanting to do it their way then coaching ceases to be fun anymore. The women's players are starting to mirror the attitude of the men's players. The thing that made coaching women as opposed to men desirable to some coaches is gradually disappearing. I believe Geno has mentioned that very sentiment before. The pool of players who are old school seems to be diminishing. Uconn has had their pick of that group but as it diminishes more so also does the pool of Uconn's type of player.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Ugh. My cat needs attention. First things first.

Reaction Score
I think that we may be closer to the post-HCGA era than we think. Some coaches need to be around it. Some are so attached to what they do that they don't know what they will do when they retire. HCGA is not like that. He has his podcast already. I can see him getting into broadcasting, as well. He loves to travel. He loves his wine. He loves his family. He will be fine when he decides it is time to go. As for the changing landscape of women's college hoops, I think that there may be something to that, as well. The players come in and expect to be on the floor for major minutes as soon as they get their sneakers laced. They are increasingly happier being a stud at a T0p 40 program than being a solid contributor on a Top 5 program. Miss Espinosa-Hunter was getting the second most minutes out of all of this year's freshmen. She decided to transfer.

I don't think the day is coming tomorrow. I think it may be coming sooner than we want.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom