Would you transfer? | The Boneyard

Would you transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was just rewatching part of the NC game. I noticed Eckmark celebrating and seeming to enjoy her teammates. As we know, she later chose to transfer. I imagine most of us believe that she was looking for more playing time.
What would you have done? Would you continue in a top program with the best coaches, knowing you will likely only get mop up minutes? Or if you were an end-of-the-bench player before last year when UConn was such a heavy favorite - stay or go?

For myself, I think I would likely transfer. Certainly if I hadn't gotten meaningful minutes after my Junior year(and maybe after Sophomore), I would want to go where I could live out my dream of actually playing D1 BB in games. Just being on the NC team wouldn't be enough if I wasn't contributing in games. Others feel that contributing during practice and as a teammate on a great team would be enough. What about you?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was just rewatching part of the NC game. I noticed Eckmark celebrating and seeming to enjoy her teammates. As we know, she later chose to transfer. I imagine most of us believe that she was looking for more playing time.
What would you have done? Would you continue in a top program with the best coaches, knowing you will likely only get mop up minutes? Or if you were an end-of-the-bench player before last year when UConn was such a heavy favorite - stay or go?

For myself, I think I would likely transfer. Certainly if I hadn't gotten meaningful minutes after my Junior year(and maybe after Sophomore), I would want to go where I could live out my dream of actually playing D1 BB in games. Just being on the NC team wouldn't be enough if I wasn't contributing in games. Others feel that contributing during practice and as a teammate on a great team would be enough. What about you?
I think this is such an intensely personal choice that has so many layers to it outside of simply the basketball aspect that any comment is sort of meaningless. I feel the same way about recruits choices of initial school and athletes who are starters choosing to transfer.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's hard to answer that question without feeling like I'm passing judgement on people who chose to transfer. Growing up I was an athlete until a knee disease derailed me from 6th to 8th grade so I went from being among the best for my age group to being 2.5 years behind everyone.

When I took up sports again, I was no longer good enough to be a starter, but rather a reserve player. I became comfortable coming off the bench or subbing for other starters. For those reasons, I would have been fine with being a reserve at UCONN and only playing the last 4-5 minutes of blowouts. Especially, for me, given the UCONN experience often includes at least 1 visit to the White House (for Stewie, Morgan and Moria, 4 visits), I would have been happy to stay.

However, look at kids like Michala or Brianna who went to other schools and were starters and for the most part, stars on their teams. I can see where that would be appealing to many kids...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Courtney made what surely was a difficult decision, but the right one for her. Ditto Brianna, Michala, Lauren, Sadie, Samarie, Kia et al. Who am I to judge them, especially negatively. I wished them well when they left and harbor no ill will to Courtney or any others.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I would never pass judgement on a player who chooses to transfer. There are too many factors that play into the decision for any of us to really know why they transfer. We can only speculate.

Courtney is a great kid and obviously a very fine basketball player. I believe she made the right choice herself. I wish her all the best.

Same way I believe Camara and Stevens made the right choice for themselves.

Reaction Score
I understand and would probably transfer as well. My only question is why your senior year? I will never understand transferring in your final year.

Reaction Score
I think this is such an intensely personal choice that has so many layers to it outside of simply the basketball aspect that any comment is sort of meaningless. I feel the same way about recruits choices of initial school and athletes who are starters choosing to transfer.
I agree completely UcMiami. It may be about a lot things: once she realized she wasn't an essential member of the team (in that transferring would let her teammates down) it could be personal relations, distance from home, a particular academic program, weather (!), etc. A lot of non-athletes feel the need to try out a different school just for the sake of trying something different. Some kids transfer because they're unhappy and want something better. Other kids transfer precisely because they are happy and believe they'll be a as happy somewhere different.

Reaction Score
I understand and would probably transfer as well. My only question is why your senior year? I will never understand transferring in your final year.
She has 3 years of UCONN coaching and culture on her resume - the "UCONN Way." Now maybe [?] she can star for a top 25 program and actually get some exposure...?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Depends on many different things. I struggle to think of any one single thing that would cause me to pack my bags.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
The thing most fans do not know is how hard the members of the team work. It appears that the NCAA is allowing more and more practice time.... year round. I would think it would be difficult to put in the work with no light at the end of the tunnel.

However, if you leave after a semester because you think you are god's gift to basketball and deserve more playing time. Then you are an immature wimp.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is UCONN they are ALL god's gift to basketball. :D

Reaction Score
She has 3 years of UCONN coaching and culture on her resume - the "UCONN Way." Now maybe [?] she can star for a top 25 program and actually get some exposure...?
Just curious..... exposure for what?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I was just rewatching part of the NC game. I noticed Eckmark celebrating and seeming to enjoy her teammates. As we know, she later chose to transfer. I imagine most of us believe that she was looking for more playing time. What would you have done? Would you continue in a top program with the best coaches, knowing you will likely only get mop up minutes? Or if you were an end-of-the-bench player before last year when UConn was such a heavy favorite - stay or go?... What about you?

I would have thought this a better question had it been more generic, as opposed to referring to a known player. Almost any basketball-related comment about our former Husky would risk going where many tend not to go. Like everyone else, I hope Ek does well at ASU.

The larger, more generic question is what would make someone, anyone, want to leave such a good program? It may be much simpler than it appears. What am I putting in? What am I getting out? Or, said another way, does the return justify the investment? Think about it. Nobody voluntarily leaves a good program if their needs (be they personal, athletic, emotional, or other) are being met.

All I can really do with any authority is to speak for myself here. I spent 40 years as part of a well-known organization, but I was never very happy. In fact, the more I participated, the worse I felt. Finally, the little light clicked on. "Goodness of fit" isn't solely a term for job interviews; it applies to much more. I politely took my leave, haven't looked back, and have felt quite happy with the decision.

Reaction Score
I'd rather be a starter at Harvard, Princeton or Stanford if they accept me than sitting on the bench cheering for my teammates to win a championship at UConn.

Since I am on the bench the chance of a pro career is highly unlikely. At best I can be a coach or a sportscaster in the field that I did not excel. Instead, I can enjoy the game I love for the 2 transferred years and have a great career in my chosen profession.

I would not transfer to another basketball powerhouse ND, Duke , etc included.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Although this isnt about a UConn transfer it is a very good perspective by Nicole Kornet on "Just Because I Transferred, Doesnt Mean You Should Too"
It is from a blog Ms Kornet has done. She left Oklahoma and is eligible to play this year for UCLA(she sat out last year).
Good reading.

This Is A Story Of A Girl: Just Because I Transferred Doesn't Mean You Should Too

Thanks ochoopsfan, A very interesting and insightful blog. Needless to say, every basketball recruit in high school (every year) should ad this BEFORE they sign that LOI.

She made some extremely truthful and accurate observations in her blog. Dynamics that occur on most teams. Remember the large number of transfers we've seen in the last two years? All of those ladies would have been better served by reading this blog before they signed.

As Kornet said: "Most coaches will say whatever they have to get you to sign that National Letter of Intent. And once you're there, don't expect all those empty promises to magically come true. You have to earn your spot now". How many recruits are wooed to a program with false promises with no substance, only to find out that what they were told is not quite the way it is? :eek:

Coaches of top 10 programs are expected to bring in a certain number of top 25 blue chip recruits every year. If they don't their bosses want to know why they haven't. You've got to keep replenishing/restocking the roster, or your program will fall from grace. Recruiting is a cut throat business for the coaches of the major programs, as they all recruit the same players.

Reaction Score
Yeah, sorry that I referenced a player. I was really thinking about different attitudes toward transfers who hadn't got playing time. Some comments indicated that they couldn't imagine leaving the program while others felt that they would have done the same. Obviously a personal choice for those actually facing it. But I had my idea of how I might react (great point about other factors-I was imagining no other pressing reasons) and I wondered about other posters.
OK, maybe it's a silly hypothetical , but it's off season!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
A more interesting question for each of us might be how accurate is the path we THINK we would/will take in life and the actual path we wind up taking.

AL Pacino in Scent of a Woman said..."Now I have come to the crossroads in my life. I always knew what the right path was. Without exception, I knew. But I never took it. You know why? It was too damn hard."

Probably safer/easier to talk about others.

Reaction Score

Because it is the last chance that virtually all of these kids have to compete and play a game they love.

Reaction Score
If you worked your whole childhood and teen years to be the best you can be at something, and know you are good enough to compete then you leave it's pretty simple. I get the "on the bench for THE winning program, great campus friends etc etc" but it means nothing if the fire inside of you know needs to be turned into a flame. I mean sitting the bench? No way no how. The urge to play and compete is too large to accept anything less than being on the court with your team. She tried to get PT at UConn it wasn't in the cards but she's obviously skilled enough to get time at another program, good for her and the right decision for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom