Would you transfer? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would you transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Unquestionably the right call for her. Got the rings and the memories. Now, go finish it out trying for something more personal.
Kinda my thought too. She already experienced winning NC's. Why not experience possibly being one of the main cogs in a program. Maybe the "go to player". Play close to home.

Made sense to me.

As for whether I'd transfer or not? No idea, what I'd do. I'd have to be in that actual situation. I don't know what I'd feel.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Although this isnt about a UConn transfer it is a very good perspective by Nicole Kornet on "Just Because I Transferred, Doesnt Mean You Should Too"
It is from a blog Ms Kornet has done. She left Oklahoma and is eligible to play this year for UCLA(she sat out last year).
Good reading.

This Is A Story Of A Girl: Just Because I Transferred Doesn't Mean You Should Too
Hmmm kind of a shot at Coale.

Also I don't think this applies at UCONN.

Your teammates will be different than you.

Hate to break it to ya kid, but it's hiiiiiiiighly likely you wouldn't be friends with half of your teammates if it weren't for that round rubber ball.
This next sentence may shock you.
You don't even have to be friends with them.

I believe UCONN goes out of there way in the recruiting process to get kids who like each other and/or are able to have a lot in common and be friends. And the coaches work on team dynamics (off the court) constantly. Team building stuff. I think most of the kids really like each other and spend lots of their off time with each other.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Ek went back home to AZ (?) where she'll have a chance to be more than a mop-up player. A player wants to play (yeah, I've said that before) and playing near home should be a win-win for her. Good choice IMO.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Really? Have you ever spent four years on a last place team? Scholarship or no scholarship, I can't imagine anything being less fulfilling then that!!!!!
I'm well past my prime but in my prime I would have gladly sat on the last place Ivy League team for 4 years. 6 years if they would allow it.

Reaction Score
Really? Have you ever spent four years on a last place team? Scholarship or no scholarship, I can't imagine anything being less fulfilling then that!!!!!
Yes. No. Sitting on a bench for four years and contributing little if anything to a Championship team!!! I would get no personal gratification out of that. I have always joined a team to play, not ride the pine. I get my fulfillment from playing the sport with my team and not as much out of winning. That may sound crazy to some, just like riding the bench for four years sounds crazy to me.

Reaction Score
You are a state champion in high school. Best player on your team, in your state for multiple years. You maybe have a dream of playing professional basketball. You are hurt as a freshman which slows your progress. As a sophmore, you get only a few minutes more per game than the walk ons. The players at your position are the same age or younger. The dream is slipping away.

I'm not surprised Courtney transfered. I hope she is successful at ASU and her dreams come true.

Reaction Score
I'm well past my prime but in my prime I would have gladly sat on the last place Ivy League team for 4 years. 6 years if they would allow it.
I'm sure you're serious CocoHusky and I don't know if this would change your thinking on it but........... During most of the '90s that last place WBB team in the Ivies was Columbia. My wife and I accompanied my daughter on a OV there one weekend. The team itself would've struggled to be a top 5 HS team in most states including NE and at the Saturday night game we attended, the massive crowd was 13( Thirteen)!!! Columbia got blown out by 40 and there were a couple kids who only played 3-4 minutes at the end. I couldn't imagine what they must have felt like and because of no Ivy League scholarships, they were paying in the neighborhood of 35K a year to sit there. I'm sure their parents could afford it but there's no way I could have done it.

Reaction Score
Yes. No. Sitting on a bench for four years and contributing little if anything to a Championship team!!! I would get no personal gratification out of that. I have always joined a team to play, not ride the pine. I get my fulfillment from playing the sport with my team and not as much out of winning. That may sound crazy to some, just like riding the bench for four years sounds crazy to me.
I have to agree. I'm the same way. UConn is an exception with their handling of their non-rotation bench players but I doubt that it's like that at the majority of the top 30-40 highly competitive schools. WBB coaches are every bit as cut throat as the men.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Unquestionably the right call for her. Got the rings and the memories. Now, go finish it out trying for something more personal.
I'd be interested in hearing from her down the road. A few of the men's transfers came to appreciate their time at UConn after they left.

In the end it is tough life decision, for a young kid. I wish Courtney all the best.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hmmm kind of a shot at Coale.
Shot at all coaches really. "
"All college coaches are slightly nuts.
All of them. Every single one."

If: "my heart was never fully invested in Oklahoma's program" then don't expect the program to invest in you.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Pretty much every player to come to Uconn on scholarship was the best player on their HS team, and most played for state championships. But some who are not part of the main rotation choose to stay and some choose to leave.
I wonder if we broke the responses here don by gender if we would see a trend, because most coaches have commented on a significant difference in attitude between men and women athletes, which gets to one of the reasons I like the women's game so much. Women are much more interested in the group success over personal glory and take pride in setting picks and making good passes as much or more than scoring the basket.

And comments about the reasons why players obviously want to transfer, in a backhand kind of way, denigrate those who choose to stay by implying they don't have the same kind of fire. You watch the fire and pride of the walk ons at Uconn, who could clearly have played at some college program, and it is inspiring.

In every walk of life where you have world class activity, you find on the periphery of that group people who take enormous pride and ownership in the results of the group and their personal contribution however minor.

Reaction Score

Like an earlier poster said, if I could do it at an Ivy League school it might be worth it but loosing records never sat well with me all the way thru college............four years of it under normal circumstances would have a serious effect on my psyche but that's just me!!!

Reaction Score
Pretty much every player to come to Uconn on scholarship was the best player on their HS team, and most played for state championships. But some who are not part of the main rotation choose to stay and some choose to leave.
I wonder if we broke the responses here don by gender if we would see a trend, because most coaches have commented on a significant difference in attitude between men and women athletes, which gets to one of the reasons I like the women's game so much. Women are much more interested in the group success over personal glory and take pride in setting picks and making good passes as much or more than scoring the basket.

And comments about the reasons why players obviously want to transfer, in a backhand kind of way, denigrate those who choose to stay by implying they don't have the same kind of fire. You watch the fire and pride of the walk ons at Uconn, who could clearly have played at some college program, and it is inspiring.

In every walk of life where you have world class activity, you find on the periphery of that group people who take enormous pride and ownership in the results of the group and their personal contribution however minor.

As a walk on, your expectations are much lower. You were never recruited and you made the best team in WCBB. You might even get a scholarship. You didn't come to UConn to play basketball. You better be proud to be sitting on the bench.

On the other hand, as the best player on your HS team or even in your home state, your mentality is quite different. You expect to make a difference and you are on the bench waiting for the last couple of minutes so you can get to play the game you love. No, not even close.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm sure you're serious CocoHusky and I don't know if this would change your thinking on it but...... During most of the '90s that last place WBB team in the Ivies was Columbia. My wife and I accompanied my daughter on a OV there one weekend. The team itself would've struggled to be a top 5 HS team in most states including NE and at the Saturday night game we attended, the massive crowd was 13( Thirteen)!!! Columbia got blown out by 40 and there were a couple kids who only played 3-4 minutes at the end. I couldn't imagine what they must have felt like and because of no Ivy League scholarships, they were paying in the neighborhood of 35K a year to sit there. I'm sure their parents could afford it but there's no way I could have done it.
Columbia was not much better WCBB team in 2008 timeframe when my Daughter made an official visit. I told this story here before my daughter decide Columbia was not for her within 5 minutes for reasons other than basketball. In my flirtation with the Ivies something Courtney Banghart explain to us is that hardly anyone pays the full advertised price of Ivies and never anyone good enough to be an NCAA athlete. It might not be called a "scholarship" but for the most part your not going to cutting a check for anywhere near the advertised price unless $35-40K would hardly make a dent in your wallet. So yes I would gladly pay to let my daughter sit on an ivy league bench even if I had to strap her to the bench. Somewhere along the line I would explain to her that her being on that bench had nothing to do with basketball. I was blessed, my daughters had basketball and education in the proper perspective so this conversation would not have been necessary and they would not have been sitting on the bench at any Ivy league school.

Reaction Score
Courtney made what surely was a difficult decision, but the right one for her. Ditto Brianna, Michala, Lauren, Sadie, Samarie, Kia et al. Who am I to judge them, especially negatively. I wished them well when they left and harbor no ill will to Courtney or any others.

I think the rationale for most of those kids was pretty simple: they realized they wouldn't get playing time at UConn. Samarie Walker was an odd one. Not sure what was really going on with her.

But most of these kids to reasonably well on decent, but not great, teams, and get the playing time they sought.

Just sad for Courtney, because I think she regressed from her junior year in high school to her time at UConn. Just didn't see the brilliance that made her into a top All American in high school.

But perhaps she'll shine again in Arizona. We all wish her the best.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Although this isnt about a UConn transfer it is a very good perspective by Nicole Kornet on "Just Because I Transferred, Doesnt Mean You Should Too"
It is from a blog Ms Kornet has done. She left Oklahoma and is eligible to play this year for UCLA(she sat out last year).
Good reading.

This Is A Story Of A Girl: Just Because I Transferred Doesn't Mean You Should Too
Thanks for posting that - and by the way, it is well worth going back and reading the August blog that takes you to the beginning with HS recruitment and explains some of what went wrong at OU which had nothing to do with OU or the coaching staff or the team.
It is solidly written and is a very good read for all scholarship athletes whether they are happy or not, because it may help them relate to teammates who are struggling a bit or a lot.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As a walk on, your expectations are much lower. You were never recruited and you made the best team in WCBB. You might even get a scholarship. You didn't come to UConn to play basketball. You better be proud to be sitting on the bench.

On the other hand, as the best player on your HS team or even in your home state, your mentality is quite different. You expect to make a difference and you are on the bench waiting for the last couple of minutes so you can get to play the game you love. No, not even close.
Actually, some of the walk-ons at Uconn were recruited at lower level schools. And Gardler for example knew coming in on scholarship that her chance of starting at Uconn was pretty minimal, and her friends were telling her she was crazy and should be going elsewhere to play.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Columbia was not much better WCBB team in 2008 timeframe when my Daughter made an official visit. I told this story here before my daughter decide Columbia was not for her within 5 minutes for reasons other than basketball. In my flirtation with the Ivies something Courtney Banghart explain to us is that hardly anyone pays the full advertised price of Ivies and never anyone good enough to be an NCAA athlete. It might not be called a "scholarship" but for the most part your not going to cutting a check for anywhere near the advertised price unless $35-40K would hardly make a dent in your wallet. So yes I would gladly pay to let my daughter sit on an ivy league bench even if I had to strap her to the bench. Somewhere along the line I would explain to her that her being on that bench had nothing to do with basketball. I was blessed, my daughters had basketball and education in the proper perspective so this conversation would not have been necessary and they would not have been sitting on the bench at any Ivy league school.

I paid full Ivy fare, and the amount paid was based solely on the financial aid form results. My son was All Ivy in baseball. Not sure where you get "never" from. In any case, I wrote the checks.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I paid full Ivy fare, and the amount paid was based solely on the financial aid form results. My son was All Ivy in baseball. Not sure where you get "never" from. In any case, I wrote the checks.
I should have never said "never" " NCAA Athlete", or implied all Ivies for that matter , I got my information from Courtney Banghart and we were talking about Princeton & WCBB specifically. I did have similar conversations with the coaches at Brown, Dartmouth & Penn about WCBB.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I should have never said "never" " NCAA Athlete", or implied all Ivies for that matter , I got my information from Courtney Banghart and we were talking about Princeton & WCBB specifically. I did have similar conversations with the coaches at Brown, Dartmouth & Penn about WCBB.
My freshman year roommate was on a hockey scholarship at Notre Dame and he said that he had a full ride offer at Harvard that he had turned it down. While not allowed to offer athletic scholarships, Ivy's can provide plenty of other assistance which can fully offset the costs of attendance. I cannot speak to how widespread this practice is.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
My freshman year roommate was on a hockey scholarship at Notre Dame and he said that he had a full ride offer at Harvard that he had turned it down. While not allowed to offer athletic scholarships, Ivy's can provide plenty of other assistance which can fully offset the costs of attendance. I cannot speak to how widespread this practice is.

Not widespread enough to pay my bills. As for "other assistance" at Ivies , it is all need based. Period.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

I don't think that's what we are discussing here. Kelly Faris didn't score many points at UConn, but I know she felt she contributed greatly to the team's success. Setting picks and making good passes are just as valuable as scoring and rebounding. But Courtney was not getting the opportunity to set picks or make passes until the game was effectively over. Playing mop-up minutes is a completely different scenario than starting and contributing in other ways than scoring.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Shot at all coaches really. "
"All college coaches are slightly nuts.
All of them. Every single one."

If: "my heart was never fully invested in Oklahoma's program" then don't expect the program to invest in you.
I was thinking more of these lines she wrote.

That's why it's so important to pick a coach who doesn't falsely recruit you.

CAUTION: Don't fall for one-liners.

"You'll start right away."

"You will be the face of our program."
"Those other schools don't have what we have here."
Most will say whatever they can to get you to sign that National Letter of Intent. And once you're there, don't expect all those empty promises to magically come true.

Her experience was with Coale.

Reaction Score
Good reading.

Wow, what a well expressed and insightful set of reflections. Put it in the (non-existent to my knowledge) "Recruited athletes' handbook."

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Not widespread enough to pay my bills. As for "other assistance" at Ivies , it is all need based. Period.
My best friend attended Princeton and received a fair amount of aid, but he had to take out significant loans as well. He had 2 older sisters attending Ivy League schools at the time and 4 younger siblings (Catholic family) being supported by a high school teacher and a homemaker. My freshman roommate had more resources and fewer siblings and he claimed he had a full ride. I guess my roommate could have lied, but I'm not sure why he would have done that. I know that my best friend is telling the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom