Men - Would Jim Penders leave UConn? Nah… “It’s a Family” | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Men Would Jim Penders leave UConn? Nah… “It’s a Family”

Reaction Score
Terrific news about Coach Penders, no question about it. No question in my mind that he is a terrific fit for UConn baseball. Hard to imagine UConn baseball at this point without Penders, that's for sure. His ideals have really sunk in and become the center core to the ideals of the baseball program.

One other thing. UConn has a great tradition of some of its ex coaches turning into amazing ambassadors and spokesmen for the school. Dee Rowe and Andy Baylock are prime examples of this. I can certainly see Coach Penders turning into a Dee Rowe role as well after he retires. Of course, to a certain extent he has already become something of a Husky ambassador while he is still active in his UConn coaching career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very proud of the program and athletic department today. Good people all around. In an age of mercenaries, great to see that loyalty runs both ways. The kids win by having continuity and top-notch people teaching them the game.

Reaction Score
This had to be resolved quickly, otherwise there could have been an impact on recruiting and possible transfers in and out of the program. After all, after the conclusion of the season, the recruiting season for college baseball really kicks into high gear during the summer.

Reaction Score
This had to be resolved quickly, otherwise there could have been an impact on recruiting and possible transfers in and out of the program. After all, after the conclusion of the season, the recruiting season for college baseball really kicks into high gear during the summer.
… and transfer portal deadline of July 1 looming.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Probably grasping at straws but does the Penders extension have anything to do with a potential conference upgrade?

Reaction Score
I know they’ve been working on it for a while but so have conferences
His previous 5 year contract was expiring next year… he would have been a candidate for a number of jobs that were open/becoming open - smart move by UConn to get it done now.

Tying it to conference realignment is a stretch in my mind.

Reaction Score
Probably grasping at straws but does the Penders extension have anything to do with a potential conference upgrade?
His previous 5 year contract was expiring next year… he would have been a candidate for a number of jobs that were open/becoming open - smart move by UConn to get it done now.

Tying it to conference realignment is a stretch in my mind.

I totally agree with @huskymedic on this. I would say the new Penders contract is more due to the amazing success he has had at a northeastern school over the last 10+ years, which led to the interest that other schools such as Michigan were and are starting to show in him. If you don't upgrade his contract, there is a decent chance Coach Penders could have disappeared from UConn. Just don't see how it really ties into conference realignment. If you want to keep a quality coach, you have always needed to do things like this. You need to pay the piper, so to speak.

Reaction Score
Jim signed the extension with the expectation UConn will be in the BIG EAST for the duration of the contract. But, it would be an added bonus if UConn got into the ACC.

What’s more, I’ve been told that as a result of this new contract for him and his staff, there are now less than a handful of schools Penders would seriously consider leaving UConn for (not going to name them but they are Southern schools; in other words, if Michigan and ND were to come open again next year, you won’t see Penders emerge as a serious candidate like this year). But if UConn goes to the ACC and they can compensate him fairly (not looking to be highest paid coach but the $500k-$600k range), I think he’s a lifer.

If things stay status quo for UConn conference wise, Penders continues to win, and one of those jobs come open and the AD determines Penders is his/her guy, he/she isn’t going to let him say no. I mean who would turn down double their salary?

Lastly, from everything I’m hearing - not thru the Boneyard but from people affiliated with the university - any talk about changing conferences is purely speculation at this point. While we may not have a President, the Board of Trustees is not sitting on their hands this time around, but there are so many dominoes still to fall that if anything were to happen conference wise, it likely wouldn’t be before the new Penders contract is up (not saying UConn wouldn’t get an invite prior to ‘26-27, they just might not leave the BIG EAST until then).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom