Men - Would Jim Penders leave UConn? Nah… “It’s a Family” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men Would Jim Penders leave UConn? Nah… “It’s a Family”

Reaction Score
God this is lazy. Not only did Manuel not hire Penders, but UConn also most certainly did not make a Super Regional while Warde was here. UConn went to the supers in 2011 and Manuel came to UConn in Feb. 2012. Warde also seemed pretty content to have UConn baseball play in a glorified HS stadium before AD David Benedict came in and immediately stressed (this was from before he even started the job for example) the need to build facilities that would turn the program into a national power -- then got a stadium built that turned UConn baseball into a national power.

Look, maybe there's some reason we don't know about that Penders would consider another job two years after the school he's called the only place he ever wants to coach over and over built him an absolutely perfect stadium to get him even closer to the one goal he's ever stated for this program -- but it's sure as heck not going to be because Warde Manuel happened to have an office in the same zip code when UConn went to the Blacksburg Regional.
His latest interview with Fanta and the recent article about the team make me really doubtful that he leaves

Reaction Score
Agree with biz that there is a number, but I doubt Michigan offers it. Personally, I would be, more concerned if it was a southern location. Maybe a future retirement site, for example. Plus the why freeze your butt off in Michigan early season? I doubt weather is much better in Anne Arbor than Storrs. Only reason is The UMaine Presque Isle job wasn’t open, I guess.

Reaction Score
Not quite sure I agree with that at all...

View attachment 76946
Yeah I’m not saying it’s truly a lateral, just that it’s not enough of a step forward. I can see how I might not have been clear enough initially though. Looking recently though it’s mostly just the one runner up year that pushes Michigan ahead

Reaction Score
God this is lazy. Not only did Manuel not hire Penders, but UConn also most certainly did not make a Super Regional while Warde was here. UConn went to the supers in 2011 and Manuel came to UConn in Feb. 2012. Warde also seemed pretty content to have UConn baseball play in a glorified HS stadium before AD David Benedict came in and immediately stressed (this was from before he even started the job for example) the need to build facilities that would turn the program into a national power -- then got a stadium built that turned UConn baseball into a national power.

Look, maybe there's some reason we don't know about that Penders would consider another job two years after the school he's called the only place he ever wants to coach over and over built him an absolutely perfect stadium to get him even closer to the one goal he's ever stated for this program -- but it's sure as heck not going to be because Warde Manuel happened to have an office in the same zip code when UConn went to the Blacksburg Regional.
This

DGB

Reaction Score
If UConn decides to give him $750k plus he'll never leave. He won't go to a southern school and I'm not sure any southern school would want him since his geographic recruiting grounds and connections aren't well...southern. Florida State and that ilk are not going to start recruiting New England, NYC, Pennsylvania, and northern California. Southern schools aren't a concern.

However, Michigan 100% should be a concern while he's making $280k or whatever. As should Rutgers, BC, Penn State, Ohio State, Maryland, West Virginia, ND, or any other relatively northeastern team that can afford to throw a million dollars a year at him and $200k at his coaches. It's silly to think he wouldn't leave for that kind of money if someone decides to offer it.

My guess is UConn sees this and he gets a raise this year, which actually may be why we are reading about this in the college baseball news to begin with...

Reaction Score
If UConn decides to give him $750k plus he'll never leave. He won't go to a southern school and I'm not sure any southern school would want him since his geographic recruiting grounds and connections aren't well...southern. Florida State and that ilk are not going to start recruiting New England, NYC, Pennsylvania, and northern California. Southern schools aren't a concern.

However, Michigan 100% should be a concern while he's making $280k or whatever. As should Rutgers, BC, Penn State, Ohio State, Maryland, West Virginia, ND, or any other relatively northeastern team that can afford to throw a million dollars a year at him and $200k at his coaches. It's silly to think he wouldn't leave for that kind of money if someone decides to offer it.

My guess is UConn sees this and he gets a raise this year, which actually may be why we are reading about this in the college baseball news to begin with...
That is an interesting list. But here’s the thing about college baseball. It has a pretty limited audience. So a Rutgers or Maryland both have pretty successful programs. So does Norte Dame. While I suppose any of those could have an opening, they don’t currently and aren’t expected to. Then there are schools who don’t really care that much. BC was considering dropping the baseball program a few years ago and replacing it with Lacrosse. Their run to a super regional kind of put an end to that, They just opened Pelligrini Field, but still, I’m not sure they care that much to shell out big money for a coach. I don’t really know much about WVU other than they had a few solid teams recently.

There is also a thing in college sports about fit. Partly it is recruiting, partly it is culture. I know it applies in football and basketball. I suspect it does in baseball too.

Reaction Score
That is an interesting list. But here’s the thing about college baseball. It has a pretty limited audience. So a Rutgers or Maryland both have pretty successful programs. So does Norte Dame. While I suppose any of those could have an opening, they don’t currently and aren’t expected to. Then there are schools who don’t really care that much. BC was considering dropping the baseball program a few years ago and replacing it with Lacrosse. Their run to a super regional kind of put an end to that, They just opened Pelligrini Field, but still, I’m not sure they care that much to shell out big money for a coach. I don’t really know much about WVU other than they had a few solid teams recently.

There is also a thing in college sports about fit. Partly it is recruiting, partly it is culture. I know it applies in football and basketball. I suspect it does in baseball too.
Notre Dame's opening is imminent. Link Jarrett is heading to FSU as soon as their season ends. Out of all the schools DGB listed, only Notre Dame would be a job Jim would even consider.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Solution: AD David Benedict give Penders a raise ... and all this speculation goes away... He deserves it anyways...
Solution: AD David Benedict can give back some oh his recently gifted salary to Coach JP and his entire staff. In my opinion JP is not a greedy person but of all the major UConn athletics he Is probably the low person on the salary totem pole - he deserves more ASAP. Coach JP bleeds UConn blue and white and would most likely not move but give the baseball staff more money. They do great work on the field and are proven top notch recruiters which is tough in New England.

Reaction Score
No mention of Penders:

-> Bakich’s new deal at Clemson comes with a hefty raise. He signed at six-year contract worth $6.25 million in salary, plus a $400,000 signing bonus. He was making just over $600,000 in total compensation on his last contract at Michigan, which was set to expire in June 2024.<-

* my # in a post above was base salary - not total comp.*

Reaction Score
And now it is deleted right after it is disputed
God bless screenshots :p

77F76104-7A72-4BFC-8A84-8444D8CA61C5.jpeg

Reaction Score
I certainly don't want to see Coach Penders leave UConn, but there is another aspect of this concerns me if Penders leaves who in my mind is the perfect fit for UConn baseball.

My other concern is what happens with Chris Jones if Penders were to leave UConn. He is just so tied in to Penders, and is a great information source for all things UConn baseball. Would Chris Jones still be able to do radio/streaming broadcasts of UConn baseball if Coach Penders were to leave and a new coach were come in?

Reaction Score
I could definitely seeing Penders taking calls (just like Coach Cav in hockey) to get that pay raise (which he deserves, as did Coach Cav). I would be SHOCKED if he left. If Coach Cav didn't leave for BC, no chance Penders leaves for a Michigan.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

-> A source with knowledge of the situation told Hearst Connecticut Media that the information was “not true,” and the tweet was soon taken down by Justice. It appears possible, according to another source, that Penders may have had a phone conversation regarding the job, but to characterize it as an “interview” was an overreach.<-

-> Penders signed a five-year contract extension in June 2018 that expires on May 31, 2023. He is due to be paid $280,000 this year, a small bump from his pay last year and fairly low compared to what schools like Michigan and other Power Five programs can offer. <-

Reaction Score
He's reposted and reworded the tweet:

“Hey Jim - Warde here. Nice season. As you know I have an opening and you are on my short list - do you have any interest in the being the head coach for Michigan?”

“Hey David, Jim here. I had an interesting phone call today. Got a minute to discuss?”

Reaction Score
FSU- signing Notre Dame Coach he used to play at FSU. They paying him big $$$$& to come . They just waiting for him to finish. If he finishes #1 expect a change of plans. $$$$$$$$$

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom