Men - Would Jim Penders leave UConn? Nah… “It’s a Family” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Men Would Jim Penders leave UConn? Nah… “It’s a Family”

Reaction Score
Things that make it likely he'll stay. Surrounded by family and friends in a comfortable and stable environment. Has the program at a level that makes future success pretty much assured. Decent money and more will come. He is lord and master of all he surveys with little pressure on him professionally.

Things that make it likely he'll go. Double his salary perhaps even more.

Reaction Score
There is an old saying, “Never take a job just for the money.” OTOH we will never keep a guy if we get 8th a bidding war with a P5. Other things need to be in play.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I stand by my earlier post that it won't be only money to lure Penders. I do believe Michigan may check enough boxes for us to be concerned.

I think this will shake out similar to the Cav-BC situation but I am a little worried.

Reaction Score
UConn, pay the man. What he's done is amazing. Comparable to JC's and Geno's jobs building the hoops programs. Just when we get on the cusp of amazing things, you can't let him go. Him leaving would be like Edsall 1.0 leaving after the Fiesta Bowl.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
UConn, pay the man. What he's done is amazing. Comparable to JC's and Geno's jobs building the hoops programs. Just when we get on the cusp of amazing things, you can't let him go. Him leaving would be like Edsall 1.0 leaving after the Fiesta Bowl.
Largely agree. We need to decide who we are and what we are going to be. If Dave Benedict wants to be a successful mid major that gets rated every time their coaches are successful, then by all means, let Michigan take someone who is acknowledged as one of the best in baseball.

If on the other hand, Dave Benedict wants to continue to have stores Connecticut be a coaching destination not a coaching waystation, if he intends to have an athletic department with a commitment to excellence and competing at the highest level, then, sit down with Penders and find out what it will take to keep him. For what it’s worth, I think he already knows.

All eyes are on you now Dave.

DGB

Reaction Score
Largely agree. We need to decide who we are and what we are going to be. If Dave Benedict wants to be a successful mid major that gets rated every time their coaches are successful, then by all means, let Michigan take someone who is acknowledged as one of the best in baseball.

If on the other hand, Dave Benedict wants to continue to have stores Connecticut be a coaching destination not a coaching waystation, if he intends to have an athletic department with a commitment to excellence and competing at the highest level, then, sit down with Penders and find out what it will take to keep him. For what it’s worth, I think he already knows.

All eyes are on you now Dave.
May not be the board for this, but unfortunately, for as long as football is bad/independent UConn will be a mid-major that is vulnerable to having every successful coach poached by a major conference school. This includes basketball. If the Big East is the destination for UConn without some plan for better conference affiliation, that vulnerability will become an inevitability. The financial disparity is becoming too great.

Reaction Score
With this being a hot topic for almost a week now, why are we hearing crickets from the baseball office? A denial would be nice.

CL82

Reaction Score
May not be the board for this, but unfortunately, for as long as football is bad/independent UConn will be a mid-major that is vulnerable to having every successful coach poached by a major conference school. This includes basketball. If the Big East is the destination for UConn without some plan for better conference affiliation, that vulnerability will become an inevitability. The financial disparity is becoming too great.
Agree, but we should be able to find a way to get Penders the money he needs to stay.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
God this is lazy. Not only did Manuel not hire Penders, but UConn also most certainly did not make a Super Regional while Warde was here. UConn went to the supers in 2011 and Manuel came to UConn in Feb. 2012. Warde also seemed pretty content to have UConn baseball play in a glorified HS stadium before AD David Benedict came in and immediately stressed (this was from before he even started the job for example) the need to build facilities that would turn the program into a national power -- then got a stadium built that turned UConn baseball into a national power.

Look, maybe there's some reason we don't know about that Penders would consider another job two years after the school he's called the only place he ever wants to coach over and over built him an absolutely perfect stadium to get him even closer to the one goal he's ever stated for this program -- but it's sure as heck not going to be because Warde Manuel happened to have an office in the same zip code when UConn went to the Blacksburg Regional.
A stadium didn’t turn UConn baseball into a national power. That’s crazy
But I do agree with you that the reporting is lazy

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m interested to hear if they made any commitment to him. I’d like this not to be an ongoing postseason worry in the future.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
If on the other hand, Dave Benedict wants to continue to have stores Connecticut...
Stores Connecticut? I suppose the Germans also bombed Pearl Harbor. :p

Reaction Score
I’m interested to hear if they made any commitment to him. I’d like this not to be an ongoing postseason worry in the future.
There's going to be speculation every season going forward as long as the going rate for P5 jobs keeps increasing and Penders continues to win. If we can get somehow get into the P5, then were all good.

Not for nothing, but the BIG EAST needs to get more serious about baseball. It's an absolute joke that a game between Butler and UConn couldn't be broadcast on a Saturday afternoon because Butler didn't have enough staff. And, what's more, having UConn and Creighton play doubleheaders over Easter weekend while the rest of the conference didn't was also not that well received.

Reaction Score

Commitment made… kudos to AD Dave!

-> There was a report last week connecting Penders with the opening at Michigan, and he was contacted Saturday, but by then talks with UConn were nearly complete and it went no further. The new contract runs until July 2027 and will pay Penders a $350,000 base salary per year with bonus clauses. Also, Penders’ staff, coaches Jeff Hourigan and Josh MacDonald, got raises. Along with volunteer assistant Chris Podeswa, it’s the longest-tenured staff in NCAA Division I.

“Jim leads the longest-tenured coaching staff in the sport through hard work, dedication, and class,” Benedict said. “And I look forward to Jim, Jeff, Josh and Chris continuing to serve as outstanding role models for the young men who don the ‘Hook C’ for many years to come. The 2022 UConn baseball season was exciting and the future is even brighter with Jim and his staff continuing to lead the program.” <-

Reaction Score
F—king love this man. And I love how that quote wasn’t only about getting to Omaha, it’s about winning the whole damn thing. If Penders says it, he believes he can do it, and I trust him to do everything in his power to make it happen.

Reaction Score

Access to article through side door here <<

-> “You never want to take advantage of his loyalty to the university,” Benedict noted. “Sometimes, the squeaky wheels do get oiled, but Jim’s just not that way. You feel great to reward someone like him that is as committed and loyal to this program, and has achieved a great deal of success.” <-

-> “We wanted to be in a situation where he knew that we wanted to keep him, and we’d do everything we could do to try to retain he and his staff,” Benedict said. “But his value on the open market is probably 2 or 3 (times) what UConn can afford to pay.” <-

-> “Jim never asks for anything, he never makes any excuses for anything,” Benedict said. “He just goes about continuing to try to build and advance his program. If you’re waiting for Jim to ask for something, you’re going to be waiting a long time, because that’s just not his style. He’s driven by wanting to get our baseball program back to the College World Series. Of course people like to be compensated fairly, so that’s what we’re trying to do. I’ve enjoyed every moment of working with Coach and doing anything I can to support he and his staff.” <-

Reaction Score
Looks like his salary about a 20% increase for Penders.

I honestly believe he’s the best college baseball coach in the country.

We are stealing that guy for $350k. Top coaches are getting about $1m +

Thanks for your commitment coach!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom