Would college basketball be better if they banned the dunk? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would college basketball be better if they banned the dunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They should ban the dunk in women's basketball for sure. Much rather they continue to show that they play the game the way it should be played.
How about banning Women's Basketball and other non-athletic sports such as NASCAR and baseball? Then there would be a lot more room on TV for real sports like NCAA football, NFL , NBA. NCAA men's basketball and some hunting shows sprinkled in. That would be a utopia.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Kinda like the old school girls 6-on-6 rules, where they had to pass the ball after two dribbles? Yeah, that was fun to watch.

Every watch girls netball? New Zealand/Aussie game. phenomenal.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I understand why people like the dunk. It is a much more "look at me" society now.

That's one of the most banal sociological observations I've ever heard. The popularity of dunking is related to a culture of selfies and social media? Really? Other than sounding like something an old curmudgeon might write in an op-ed column, is there anything to back that up?

Ah yes, the good old days when lay ups were king.
Bowers+(4).jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is this Bill Simmons being racist? Trying to even the playing field ?

Reaction Score
So dunking the ball is the reason big men are less skilled today than 20 or 30 years ago? Is that also the reason we see a lot less 7 foot power players in todays game?

Reaction Score
Devland, wtf are you talking about in this thread? You're embarassing yourself.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
You guys are a funny bunch. Some of you are extremely simple minded.

Reaction Score
When the dunk was banned in the past , Players took a lot more work at developing moves around the basket. Kareem's would have never developed the sky hook if dunking was allowed. So in some ways yes players would be more skilled. I understand why people like the dunk. It is a much more "look at me" society now. I would like to see more technical fouls for hanging onto the rim though.

That Kareem example would be a great point...if it was true.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Polycom we're not simple minded. This is like saying to your wife, "I think we should ban sex."

Its anarchy. I won't allow it.

Dunking is far from the best part of basketball....this is like saying to your wife "We should ban HJs" with the idea in mind that it'll improve the sex.

Just need to look at it from a different light.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
In relation to UConn however I think it would be excellent for Amida to learn how to play in the post if he couldn't just catch the alley all day.

While we're at it, let's ban Gibbs from shooting the three. Make him learn how to play in the post by only counting dunks. Players in different positions have different strengths and the ability to get in position for dunks is not an inferior skill.

The alley oops aren't stopping Brimah from developing as a more well-rounded offensive player. There's nothing preventing him from posting opponents up or shooting from 15 feet (which he demonstrated more last season). Banning dunks would just lead to less excitement and more anticlimactic finishes.

Reaction Score
I'll go modern era for you guys. Larry Bird was not allowed to dunk in high school and the beginning of his college career is there anyone in today's game that has the moves around the basket he did? Bob Lanier? Bob McAdoo? on the college level Tony Hanson? Toby Kimball? Look I'm not against the dunk. That was a boneyard reading comprehension issue (surprise). The original poster just asked a question and I responded with my opinion. I said "So in some ways yes players would be more skilled". Not that I dislike the dunk. I have enjoyed UConn games before and after the dunk rule. So should I erase all my pre-dunk UConn memories? Some of those games were as exciting as the more recent games. Except for the Perno era, UConn Basketball wasn't as bad as some people here think. And I liked Perno as a player. I actually feel bad for him. He was a hero as a player and coaching didn't work out for him so he caught some guff from the fans. I admit that caused me concern when Ollie was hired. I'm glad history didn't repeat itself.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
When the dunk was banned in the past , Players took a lot more work at developing moves around the basket. Kareem's would have never developed the sky hook if dunking was allowed. So in some ways yes players would be more skilled. I understand why people like the dunk. It is a much more "look at me" society now. I would like to see more technical fouls for hanging onto the rim though.

Were you watching UConn yet when we had one Jerome Dyson?

Reaction Score
I'll go modern era for you guys. Larry Bird was not allowed to dunk in high school and the beginning of his college career is there anyone in today's game that has the moves around the basket he did? Bob Lanier? Bob McAdoo? on the college level Tony Hanson? Toby Kimball? Look I'm not against the dunk. That was a boneyard reading comprehension issue (surprise). The original poster just asked a question and I responded with my opinion. I said "So in some ways yes players would be more skilled". Not that I dislike the dunk. I have enjoyed UConn games before and after the dunk rule. So should I erase all my pre-dunk UConn memories? Some of those games were as exciting as the more recent games. Except for the Perno era, UConn Basketball wasn't as bad as some people here think. And I liked Perno as a player. I actually feel bad for him. He was a hero as a player and coaching didn't work out for him so he caught some guff from the fans. I admit that caused me concern when Ollie was hired. I'm glad history didn't repeat itself.
Yes, I've seen better people around the the basket than Bird. Lanier and McAdoo were before my time but I'm pretty sure there are guys that have been better around the rim than them. Were you serious about Tony Hanson and Toby Kimball?

Reaction Score
Seems like a decent idea for practice maybe. By the way, what was the rationale for not allowing dunking?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm not for banning the dunk. But there certainly is a bit of the "look at me" to it. I don't particularly notice players thumping their own chests or mugging for the camera after making a lay up.

What makes the Hamilton to Brimah type play fun to watch is as much the overall execution. What is really amazing to watch is the unexpected dunk, usually by a forward or guard who suddenly explode to the rim in traffic, like Purvis's incredible move last year, against whom I don't remember but I think it was #1 on Sports Centers top 10.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The popularity of dunking is related to a culture of selfies and social media? Really? Other than sounding like something an old curmudgeon might write in an op-ed column, is there anything to back that up?

Bowers+(4).jpg

As an offical old curmudgeon, I take offense to that statement. Well, as a curmudgeon, I take offense to most everything, but aside from that, this statement really torques me off! I love the game played above the rim.

Don't lump all us old curmudgeons together, dammit!

Now get the duck_K off my GD lawn!

Reaction Score
Listening to Bill Simmons podcast today, him and Chuck Klosterman brought up the idea of making big men better if they couldn't dunk in college. As a fan of basketball this would be wonderful, it would expose the athletes who can't shoot and it would force big men to actually learn how to play. It also may make the NBA better...

In relation to UConn however I think it would be excellent for Amida to learn how to play in the post if he couldn't just catch the alley all day.

Thoughts?
Been done before. Didn't help then. See Alcindor, Lew.

Reaction Score
They banned the dunk. It made the game less exciting. If your goal is to make it more boring, banning the dunk helps.

If you don't like dunking, there is a league for you, the WNBA.

Reaction Score
There's nothing stopping the bigs from learning these skills as the rules stand. They don't have to dunk if it doesn't make their team better, and many bigs have learned other ways to score than dunking as it is.
Dunks are more exciting, and if a player has an opportunity to dunk, it's way less exciting to watch them drop the ball in.

Reaction Score
Where did I say I didn't like dunks? I just said players were a lot more talented around the basket when there was no dunking. You can be athletic and have great moves around the basket without dunking. See Shabazz Napier
Hairs split. This thread is still ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom