Worst UConn team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Worst UConn team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
?Who is worst?

All our NIT teams and the 17-14 2007 team at least played in a strong conference.

This team is losing their games to AAC teams.

Either they don't give a you know what or they are awful. Or both.

Exactly. And not only good AAC teams but also horrible winless ones like Houston.....and we also lost to Yale.

It's the worst team I can remember.

Reaction Score
I keep harping on this, but when dh grows up, uconn will look so much better. Imagine rp or oc as the #3 and ab as #4.

Uunfortunately, DH may not be ready this year.

Reaction Score
No players. Nolan touches ball instant= double team. Facey touches ball= instant double. Brimah touches ball= instant double. They can't pass or dribble or shoot. Why not? Purvis is useless. Calhoun apparently is done. Dham and Boat need to take every shot except lob to Brimah.
News Flash! Boat already take all of the shots, you guys on this board are delusional. RB is a shooting guard not a pg and he has done nothing but disrupted the team offense and chemistry this season. You guys think he is the savior because he scores a ton of points. When your pg is shooting 26 shots and averaging 2 assist you will not beat a rec team. Hopefully for the sake of the team he will stay at shooting guard position because that is exactly what he is. I would rather have a respectable stat line and win than score 30 and lose.

Reaction Score
This team's senior class would have had Drummond and Daniels if they stayed. Also, recruiting was hampered by the APR scandal, Calhoun retirement, conference realignment. We will get it back.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Exactly. And not only good AAC teams but also horrible winless ones like Houston.....and we also lost to Yale.

It's the worst team I can remember.

Go home. Have a glass of warm milk. Skip the Kahlua, and go to sleep.

Reaction Score
I will say we can--and should blame the coach for some of their struggles. Ollie's good at a lot of things, but there are things he's still improving. It's probably not a surprise that he's 2-6 against Pitino, Brown, Izzo, and K.

On the other hand, he's 5-0 against Wright-Calipari-Donovan. None of these guys are great X-and-O kind of guys, and I think Ollie does the kind of things they do, often better (recruiting, though...not close yet).

You're right about some of the blame. He's the head coach. In his 3rd year replacing a legend in a conference we have no business of being in. And you are so right about his still improving. He's a very young coach. He's not JC, he needs time to keep developing as a great x's and o's guy. That's why he deserves a little slack. We didn't replace JC with Coach K, we replaced him with a young and up and coming coach. One who helped deliver a 4th title. If he has a few struggles, so be it. I'm extremely pleased with the job he has done thus far. Now, if we can get into a better conference........

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I will say we can--and should blame the coach for some of their struggles. Ollie's good at a lot of things, but there are things he's still improving. It's probably not a surprise that he's 2-6 against Pitino, Brown, Izzo, and K.

On the other hand, he's 5-0 against Wright-Calipari-Donovan. None of these guys are great X-and-O kind of guys, and I think Ollie does the kind of things they do, often better (recruiting, though...not close yet).
Speaking of recruiting, someone on the women's board said a while ago that the conference is killing our recruiting efforts. That after a NC win, we should be landing kids left and right.

Someone else pointed out the 2 guys we landed are good, but he countered saying both were essentially local kids. I know we're doomed and all that, but is there a feeling that the recruiting is being severely hampered by the AAC? Frankly I disagreed with the guy but I'm wondering if folks here who know more than I have some better insight...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If we're in the ACC, I think we're sitting on a top 5 class.

We don't get thumped by the likes of Florida State, VCU, UNLV, etc.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Caron's first year. I think we lost to Detroit in the 1st rd of the NIT at Gampel. That team jumped immediately to my mind.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
See, here's where the optimist in me comes out: if Boat is going to go nuts and start carrying this team, defenses will go all out to stop him. This will create opportunities for other players and I have to believe that out DHam, Purvis, Omar, et al someone else is going to get confidence, get red hot and the whole team gets rolling. Confidence is so huge with a young team and if they can start to draw their confidence from Boat this thing can turn around pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
I am really disappointed too, this team is very frustrating. But let's watch the whole game before we throw the team in the trash at halftime!
It's about watching the whole season, one pretty good half against a horrible team doesn't change how bad we are this season.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
When you look at the schedule, I think "Hey this team can win out." But then they put up games like Houston and you're just like :eek:

Reaction Score
I'm a football guy for the most part. So take these comments for what they're worth. First time in years at Gampel and here are my thoughts.

- The tiles. Holy hell.
- We have 4 Natl Championship banners hanging. Can we take down the NCAA appearances stuff?
- Jalen Adams better be the real deal next year.
- Purvis looks like he's going through the "Omar Calhoun Stretch" from last year. Looks timid, doesn't want to shoot. When he doesn't have to think (late game with the shot clock winding down) his stroke is pure. Open shots it looks like he's trying not to miss as opposed to just shooting.
- I don't follow recruiting that closely but we could REALLY use that Stone kid next year.

Overall thoughts - we simply don't have the talent we've had in the past. The APR ban and the coaching change really hurt our recruiting and we're paying for it now. Can we rebound? In this conference? That worries me.

Reaction Score

I remember a game when siva was the point guard that Louisville ran us off the court and that was JC's team. It as a terrible game from our point. Pitino had JC's number also.

Reaction Score
Our problems that we have are the AAC and the APR ban. Recruits have a much better choice than to get stuck in this weak conference. The best we can hope for now is that somehow the conference gets stronger with coaching players up. The APR slowed our progress losing players and players that would have come here changed there minds knowing there was no NCAA possibility. It doesn't affect the women's program because they are just good and can get any player they want. they just blow through the AAc rivals and then can do the same in the NCAA tournament. A great coach will do that for you. the men's program is a different animal. there are too many great teams in better conferences to fight over 4 and 5 star recruits and they always get them. we have to get 3 star recruits and coach them up. thats just the way it is. I see no chance right now in going to the big that some have mentioned. It will take some decent teams from the football program to accomplish that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

1st - he's 2-0 vs Izzo
2nd he beat Donovan twice last year - Donovan had a team that lost what 3 games? He is a great X and O guy
3rd he beat a master at XandO - Hoiberg of Iowa State
4th Pitino had a team that UConn could never match up with

Reaction Score
It's about watching the whole season, one pretty good half against a horrible team doesn't change how bad we are this season.

It's a fair point but still, the timing is obvious. And I'm not blaming you sj, I have had to stay in the recliner and not head to the office in order not to say something I may regret, it's a frustrating year with awful first half patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom