Worst telecast ever? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Worst telecast ever?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The problem is the losing. The games get switched from ESPN to ESPN2. They aren't assigned prior to the season. These are in-season decisions.
I'm saying no matter what the scheduling, our games will always be during off days and the coverage of our games on ESPN will still largely be for pimping out ESPN's bigger properties, namely the ACC. This isn't changing.

Reaction Score
I'm saying no matter what the scheduling, our games will always be during off days and the coverage of our games on ESPN will still largely be for pimping out ESPN's bigger properties, namely the ACC. This isn't changing.

???

Have you looked at the schedule?

Here are the big games and when they were played:

Wed. ESPN2, 7PM
Mon. ESPN, 7PM
Fri., ESPN2, 2:30pm (off-schedule, but it was XMas Holidays)
Wed., ESPN2, 3PM (ditto)
Thurs., ESPN2, 7PM
Sat., FOX, Noon
Thurs., ESPN2, 7PM
Sat., ESPN2, 4PM
Thurs., ESPN2, 9PM
Sun, ESPN, 4PM (call this off-schedule if you like but I don't see the big deal)
Sat, CBS, Noon
Sun, CBS, Noon

12 games on the big network channels. How does this constitute "always on the off days"? The only games that were off scheduling wise were the two Xmas games against Auburn and Houston. Otherwise, weekday night games and Saturday games, along with 2 Sunday games.

Compare this to schools in the P5. Compare to say, NC State.

Here's what they have:

Sun, ESPN, 1PM
Mon, ESPN, 7PM
Wed, ESPN2, 7PM
Wed, ESPN2, 7PM
Sat, ESPN, Noon

5 games all year. As opposed to UConn's 12. And UConn is down this year from 15 and 16 the previous year.

Reaction Score
As a Red Sox fan I have come to detest Dave O'Brien...

He's awful in both the Sox (Johnny Most baseball wise pitiful) and basketball, doesn't know

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
it didn't have Dook Vitale, hence it can't be the worse

how would you like to some guy talking about K & Squid all day?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
He's awful in both the Sox (Johnny Most baseball wise pitiful) and basketball, doesn't know

He just repeats the same inane point over and over.. Or just rephrases a point Jerry made. It's awful... And he was billed supposedly as an upgrade over Orsillo in terms of baseball knowledge but I haven't seen it. I usually mute half the game.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
12 games on the big network channels. How does this constitute "always on the off days"? The only games that were off scheduling wise were the two Xmas games against Auburn and Houston. Otherwise, weekday night games and Saturday games, along with 2 Sunday games.

Its.
About.
The.
Days.
Of.
The.
Games.

Sure UConn has more than NC State...they're willing to play on days of the week that the ACC teams rarely do (Tuesday, Thursday, early Sundays).

There is a huge difference between being scheduled Mon/Wed/Sat than Tues/Thurs/Sun. Huge. Ask the coaches, the players and the administrators.

Its like saying Kent State has a better TV deal than Virginia because they have more games televised...yeah, because #MACtion plays every night of the week. Its not really much of an accomplishment.

Reaction Score
Its.
About.
The.
Days.
Of.
The.
Games.

Sure UConn has more than NC State...they're willing to play on days of the week that the ACC teams rarely do (Tuesday, Thursday, early Sundays).

There is a huge difference between being scheduled Mon/Wed/Sat than Tues/Thurs/Sun. Huge. Ask the coaches, the players and the administrators.

Its like saying Kent State has a better TV deal than Virginia because they have more games televised...yeah, because #MACtion plays every night of the week. Its not really much of an accomplishment.

First, I'd love to know the difference between a Thursday and a Wednesday.

As someone who keeps a university schedule, and has to travel occasionally, I always prefer a Thursday over a Wednesday.

That being said, UConn has played on the ESPNs 3 times this year on Thursday. Remove those from the equation, and they've still played 2x as many games as NC State.

UConn has played games on Monday and Friday and Wednesday as well on ESPN. 3 games on Thursday.

Still love to hear from you what the difference is.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Its.
About.
The.
Days.
Of.
The.
Games.

Yea people dont really get this. Notice how there are almost zero Monday games. Monday is the CBB as Sunday is the NFL football.

Used this example before. Just because you're new show on CBS gets the same time slot as "The Big Bang Theory" same time but most desirable day of the week, doesnt mean you have equal exposure. One time slot has inherently more viewers available to watch the program, as well as lets not forget the quality, people aren't setting their alarm clocks for reminders for the UConn-Temple unranked vs unranked game.

Reaction Score
Its.
About.
The.
Days.
Of.
The.
Games.

Are you honestly trying to say the ACC does not play on Tue/Thur/Sunday?

Is that Cuse Lville game next Sunday on a Sunday because they relegated those schools to the AAC? Or that UVA/Nova game a couple Sundays ago?

Reaction Score
Like someone else said, it could have been worse with Vital and Patrick calling the game while giving each other handjobs under the table and looking at a picture of Ratface.

Reaction Score
Was one of the poorest game telecasts I've ever watched by far. It was sickening listening to them drone on about the ACC while not even paying attention to the game on the court. There is was no real play by play. Doris is a grating train wreck and OBrien has no clue. ESPN Bush league.

Reaction Score
I was only able to watch around the first 10 minutes of the game but I thought it was pretty disrespectful to UConn, Temple and the viewers. I have no idea why they gave Lunardi so much time during a game between two teams that aren't even on the bubble and I can't ever remember a game when half of the first half was ignored by the announcers. If its a 25 point blowout late in the second half then fine, talk about whatever you want, who cares, but you can't pull that crap a minute into the game. They also lost the score and time and shot clocks and none of them seemed to notice.

Reaction Score
He just repeats the same inane point over and over.. Or just rephrases a point Jerry made. It's awful... And he was billed supposedly as an upgrade over Orsillo in terms of baseball knowledge but I haven't seen it. I usually mute half the game.

Orsillo was so much better overall and certainly with Jerry a pretty funny duo at times.

Reaction Score
I don't get all the venom out there for Dave and Doris when we're dealing with the limited pool of possible announcing crews for a Sunday afternoon game between two teams barely over 500. I like the fact they announce a lot of our WBB games and are very familiar with UConn. I heard them praise the program, talk up Jim Calhoun, and call us the poster child of how athletics can change the entire perception of an institution. They also talked about our players (and our season's woes) with a high degree of insight.
Bottom line, with the nderstanding that no A listers are announcing that game I'd much rather listen to them than the other B listers who don't know much about our program and our history.

Reaction Score
Doris is good but she had to be like how did I get stuck doing a bad AAC game on a Sunday afternoon

At least give me a good game if you're going to make me work on a Sunday

Was one of the poorest game telecasts I've ever watched by far. It was sickening listening to them drone on about the ACC while not even paying attention to the game on the court. There is was no real play by play. Doris is a grating train wreck and OBrien has no clue. ESPN Bush league.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Seriously how could they not understand that Temple and UConn fans would kill to be in the ACC and we could not want to hear about the 11 teams going to the tourney any less

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Seriously how could they not understand that Temple and UConn fans would kill to be in the ACC and we could not want to hear about the 11 teams going to the tourney any less
I did have the first half on mute. But I periodically turned up the volume to see if they went back to the game. I did hear how the OBE held the record for 11 teams with UConn number 11 and how they won the championship that year and that no conference accomplished that before or since. And then when they started talking about the ACC, I went back to mute. I love selective hearing.

But it was just dumb of them to focus away from the game. Two fan bases had to be turned off and in a world of sports flux, it is foolish to alienate costomers.

Reaction Score
I don't get all the venom out there for Dave and Doris when we're dealing with the limited pool of possible announcing crews for a Sunday afternoon game between two teams barely over 500. I like the fact they announce a lot of our WBB games and are very familiar with UConn. I heard them praise the program, talk up Jim Calhoun, and call us the poster child of how athletics can change the entire perception of an institution. They also talked about our players (and our season's woes) with a high degree of insight.
Bottom line, with the nderstanding that no A listers are announcing that game I'd much rather listen to them than the other B listers who don't know much about our program and our history.

Doris is fine but she tries to hard to prove that to everyone in the men's game. Nonetheless I have no issues with her, Davey on the other hand seems to be lost in the speed of the mens game he brings absolutely nothing to the telecast minus a couple of facts thrown in his screen to read. Maybe he's better doing the women's games, could be just that? But he was dreadful yesterday.

Reaction Score
First, I'd love to know the difference between a Thursday and a Wednesday.

As someone who keeps a university schedule, and has to travel occasionally, I always prefer a Thursday over a Wednesday.

That being said, UConn has played on the ESPNs 3 times this year on Thursday. Remove those from the equation, and they've still played 2x as many games as NC State.

UConn has played games on Monday and Friday and Wednesday as well on ESPN. 3 games on Thursday.

Still love to hear from you what the difference is.

Big Monday, Super Tuesday. Remember those days? We used to play every Monday/Tuesday on ESPN. This was and still is the "college basketball nights" in the country. All the big games are played on these nights, save Saturdays as well. Front and center going against, Nova, Cuse, GTown, Ville...hell even Marquette! 7 PM. Following us would be Kansas, or Duke or another Blue Blood. We were considered a team and a conference that people wanted to watch on college basketball nights. If we played a St. Johns or a Providence, it would be ESPN2.

NC State? We are not NC State. Lol. We used to compete with the big dogs in ratings, Big Monday/Super Tuesday appearances, GameDay hosting etc......

Now we don't. Simple.

Reaction Score
Big Monday, Super Tuesday. Remember those days? We used to play every Monday/Tuesday on ESPN. This was and still is the "college basketball nights" in the country. All the big games are played on these nights, save Saturdays as well. Front and center going against, Nova, Cuse, GTown, Ville...hell even Marquette! 7 PM. Following us would be Kansas, or Duke or another Blue Blood. We were considered a team and a conference that people wanted to watch on college basketball nights. If we played a St. Johns or a Providence, it would be ESPN2.

NC State? We are not NC State. Lol. We used to compete with the big dogs in ratings, Big Monday/Super Tuesday appearances, GameDay hosting etc.

Now we don't. Simple.

So you're saying that Duke and North Carolina are debasing themselves by playing so many Wed. nights?

I'll say it again so you can hear it clearly: the vast majority of P5s play only a handful on these channels. UConn plays 12-16 times a year on these channels. Only a few schools in the nation do better.

And when people talk about off schedule hours, they need to explain themselves because Thurs. vs. Wed. doesn't sound off schedule to me. Besides, UConn only has 3 Thurs. night games, and 3 Monday-Wed. games.

There are only 5-8 schools that are shown more than UConn.

Reaction Score
Doris is good but she had to be like how did I get stuck doing a bad AAC game on a Sunday afternoon

At least give me a good game if you're going to make me work on a Sunday

Please define what a bad AAC game is. I watched a game yesterday that wasn't decided until the second of play. Pretty entertaining to my mind. Temple and UCONN are not BAD basketball teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom