Worst telecast ever? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Worst telecast ever?

Reaction Score
Two things;
1. People tuned in to watch Uconn and Temple play
2. People tuned in to watch an AAC game.
Anything other than these 2 topics over-talked about is basically disrespectful and disinteresting to many viewers.
...o yea,...Pony up NESN man, and tell us why you really hate Don O... Everyone besides you loved him in the broadcast booth...What a bonehead move that was...He's beloved wherever he goes...you, not so much..aw! SNAP!

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
The view too, has been terrible.

ESPN has no clue how to televise a game and seems to think for the most part that the entire court must be in view at all times. It's always like watching from the peanut gallery. They should watch a Big 10, SEC, or SNY game on TV to learn how it's supposed to be done. This continues to be one of my biggest complaints, especially during a WCBB game.

Reaction Score
2 teams with a combined 4 top 100 wins in 50+ games would be considered bad by Doris

Please define what a bad AAC game is. I watched a game yesterday that wasn't decided until the second of play. Pretty entertaining to my mind. Temple and UCONN are not BAD basketball teams.

Reaction Score
I did not read everyone here, but that was just mind-boggling. My wife and I were watching the game and not only was it bad that they were not announcing the game in front of them, but it became such a distraction listening to BS that we did not care about and was not related to us or the game. We should have muted, but I was getting just so pissed I wanted to see how long it went on. Talk about no respect.... just awful

Reaction Score
Yea people dont really get this. Notice how there are almost zero Monday games. Monday is the CBB as Sunday is the NFL football.

Used this example before. Just because you're new show on CBS gets the same time slot as "The Big Bang Theory" same time but most desirable day of the week, doesnt mean you have equal exposure. One time slot has inherently more viewers available to watch the program, as well as lets not forget the quality, people aren't setting their alarm clocks for reminders for the UConn-Temple unranked vs unranked game.

No it's not, with games being played every day of the week the NFL comparison doesn't work to begin with but the biggest day of the week is clearly Saturday. Look at all the "gameday" stuff ESPN does and the hype around the primetime game for that day. Plus CBS and Fox(not FS1) usually have big matchups during the day.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Had to watch on DVR so I just finished it (what a win) but I was going to check on here to see if anyone else thought that broadcast was pathetic.

Besides talking about ACC and how great it is, the damn score and clock were off for a few minutes.

It's like the UConn game was secondary to Wake Forests tourney resume.

Reaction Score
I was just about to mute it and put on WTIC radio but then I realized I was not watching live (started late). Shut up about all that crap! Call the game! I thought it was just me getting super annoyed.

C

chiller99.5

For me its more of an indictment on how far espn has lowered its own standards.When you become a shill for your own product and promote a conference other than the one who is playing you reek of self importance.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Anyone else watch Miami/Virginia last night?
It was a lot of the same
Doris was decent but they kept calling in Joe Lunardi - bothersome
BUT Joe did say that he is all for any P5 team needing at least a .500 conference record to be invited to the dance
Has a Clemson team that is 4-11 in ACC as near the bubble!!!!

Reaction Score
Yeah this has been embarrassing. And ESPN wonder why it's trending downward.
In 2016 ESPN had its most profitable year in the history of the company, but they are trending downwards?

Viewership may be down, but it is down industry wide due to people moving away from cable in droves. ESPN still dominates sports rating and is doing just fine.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Are you honestly trying to say the ACC does not play on Tue/Thur/Sunday?

Is that Cuse Lville game next Sunday on a Sunday because they relegated those schools to the AAC? Or that UVA/Nova game a couple Sundays ago?

Apparently you missed the word "early" as it relates to Sunday.

The Sunday night ACC games are part of a prime-time package that goes back 20 years in ACC-country.

Tuesday nights are a reminder that Big Monday is a bigger deal. Thursdays are irrelevant in college basketball.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'll say it again so you can hear it clearly: the vast majority of P5s play only a handful on these channels. UConn plays 12-16 times a year on these channels. Only a few schools in the nation do better.

More homes in the Southeast have the RSN's that the ACC gets its games on than have ESPNU or CBS Sports Network. Those games are also distributed nationwide on major RSN's like NESN, Altitude, Sun Sports, MSG, YES, etc. Those channels are major in their individual markets.

If you think UConn has a huge advantage because its easier for someone in Idaho to watch their games, great, do you. But to act like UConn has some huge advantage over NC State is laughable.

Reaction Score

The Sunday night ACC games are part of a prime-time package that goes back 20 years in ACC-country.

Tuesday nights are a reminder that Big Monday is a bigger deal. Thursdays are irrelevant in college basketball.

If Thursdays are so irrelevant why was UNC vs Duke, the biggest rivalry in CBB, played on a Thursday just a couple of weeks ago?

Reaction Score

Apparently you failed to look at the schedule. Cuse Lville play at 2pm on Sunday. Nova UVA played at 1pm on Sunday. Is that early?

ACC, Big 10, New Big East all play "big games" on Sunday and have for decades. UConn has played some massive Sunday games when they were in the BE.

Your point makes no sense and is not supported by facts.

Reaction Score
Sunday games after football season ends is fine. Sunday games going against NFL playoff games is not. I do miss the predictability of scheduling in the Big East. Now the game times, days and channels seems so random, I guess I still haven't adjusted.

Reaction Score
More homes in the Southeast have the RSN's that the ACC gets its games on than have ESPNU or CBS Sports Network. Those games are also distributed nationwide on major RSN's like NESN, Altitude, Sun Sports, MSG, YES, etc. Those channels are major in their individual markets.

If you think UConn has a huge advantage because its easier for someone in Idaho to watch their games, great, do you. But to act like UConn has some huge advantage over NC State is laughable.

Uh, you do realize I hope that I'm not counting CBSSN and ESPNU here. I am only counting the major network games, ESPN, CBS, Fox.

ESPNU and CBSSN have nothing to do with it.

But go ahead thinking that 5 games on ESPN is just as good as what UConn has.

Reaction Score
Remy needs the $$ for his son's legal bills and lawsuits

Orsillo was very good, but O'Brien was going to leave and he was their guy

Red Sox canned the wrong guy. It was time for Remy to retire, but Orsillo was excellent.

Reaction Score
If Thursdays are so irrelevant why was UNC vs Duke, the biggest rivalry in CBB, played on a Thursday just a couple of weeks ago?

The whole Wed. over Thursday thing is so arbitrary and nonsensical.

If anything, as college kids, they are better off playing Thursday nights because many kids don't have classes on Friday.

Reaction Score
First ESPN game of the year and they can't get either the game or shot clock to work in screen. So instead of game updates they spend 5 minutes talking about potential 1 seeds. Seriously, wtf.

I'm watching the game and screaming that this is the worst basketball game I've ever watched on TV. My wife asked what's wrong. I said the announcers don't have a clue and I can't tell what the score is. The game lacked flow to begin with but the announcers made it worse! Sure glad to hear that I wasn't alone in thinking this.

Reaction Score
The whole Wed. over Thursday thing is so arbitrary and nonsensical.

If anything, as college kids, they are better off playing Thursday nights because many kids don't have classes on Friday.
I don't know for sure, but it has always been my assumption that they stay away from Thursdays because Thursday is a big NBA telecast night on TNT. I'm pretty sure decisions on what night the games are on is more of a television decision than it is for the convenience of the kids.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom