Worst sports judgments of your life | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Worst sports judgments of your life

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A number have been mentioned.

-2nded the Kyrie trade. I thought Kyrie wasn't elite and the pick was going to be transformational.

-I thought Danny Ainge blew it by trading the 1st pick and taking Tatum. Turns out he would have won straight up, even without the Laker's pick.

-I thought Belichick was going to unlock all the potential of Albert Haynesworth. Turns out fat and lazy is just fat and lazy. Who knew?

Reaction Score
Thinking Diaco was going to be a good coach
Not wanting to resign Daniel Murphy to the Mets
Kaz Matsui next great Japanese ball player
Thought Harvey was the next Roger Clemens

I'll brainstorm some more and add on later

Reaction Score

-2nded the Kyrie trade. I thought Kyrie wasn't elite and the pick was going to be transformational.

-I thought Danny Ainge blew it by trading the 1st pick and taking Tatum. Turns out he would have won straight up, even without the Laker's pick.

-I thought Belichick was going to unlock all the potential of Albert Haynesworth. Turns out fat and lazy is just fat and lazy. Who knew?
Not elite? He completely took over the 2016 NBA Finals, hitting clutch shot after clutch shot.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not elite? He completely took over the 2016 NBA Finals, hitting clutch shot after clutch shot.

Yes, but I needed to see it all year. I was confident he was clutch, but not a Top-10 type player. Had no idea if he could carry a team all by himself.

Reaction Score
"Joba Rules" deserves more than just inclusion among two other failed aces in a list of 9 other missed predictions.

They printed shirts (multiple versions, IIRC) for crying out loud. More hilarious is that people bought them!

His deserves his own post, at the very least.

Think the discussion on Joba could include the Yanks and Cashman though. After being lights out from the pen wasn’t the unsuccessful attempt at making him a starter potentially the ruination of him? Maybe, maybe not but it needs to be thrown out there.

Reaction Score
Think the discussion on Joba could include the Yanks and Cashman though. After being lights out from the pen wasn’t the unsuccessful attempt at making him a starter potentially the ruination of him? Maybe, maybe not but it needs to be thrown out there.

He never seemed like the same pitcher after the midge game in Cleveland

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The plan was for him to eventually be used as a starter, but the timing of when that was going to happen was apparently not Cashman's call. Hank Stienbrenner ordered him to the rotation and he wasn't stretched out properly.

The funny part about the Joba Rules is I think they were initially instituted to protect him from Torre turning him into another Proctor/Quantrill.

Reaction Score

joba-and-the-boston-red-sox-bug.jpg

Reaction Score
That’s funny but it’s true. He was practically unhittable until that moment. Then he was moved to starter, had Tommy John and was never the same again. I really think he was on PEDs for that one year because he was pudgy and not nearly as dominant in college, then all of the sudden he was nasty.

Reaction Score
Thinking that having retractable roofs in all stadiums was a bad idea, I'm not a fan of domed stadiums but not having Yankee baseball essentially 4 days in a row just sucks well the pen is sure well rested now.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

You were still halfright about the Kyrie trade. Although if the Cavs get Porter to fall to them, you could still be 100% right.

the Q

Reaction Score
Redskins and Titans fans.

In his defense, Haynesworth shoudl've had at least 1 DPOY award while with Tenn. Giving on to Bob Sanders was an embarrassment to the award.

Husky25

Reaction Score
In his defense...
No skin off my nose, but why would you feel compelled to defend Haynesworth?

the Q

Reaction Score
No skin off my nose, but why would you feel compelled to defend Haynesworth?

I'm comfortable with truth. He was a monster for a few years.

the Q

Reaction Score
I didn't think the NFL or NBA would rig a Super Bowl or a Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

I was wrong on both accounts.

- For a while I thought Blue Chips was just a movie....

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm comfortable with truth. He was a monster for a few years.
Me too and @intlzncster had it right.

Haynesworth turned his Titans tenure to a $100 million contract and proceeded to become a fat and lazy Redskin. Belichick had no chance.

the Q

Reaction Score
Me too and @intlzncster had it right.

Haynesworth turned his Titans tenure to a $100 million contract and proceeded to become a fat and lazy Redskin. Belichick had no chance.

Most big guys don't last that long anyway. I wonder if he was ever going to have a chance.

No question Shannahan did not handle him properly in Wash, but he also got hurt alot.

But let's not pretend that these 300 pound dudes are in the best cardiovascular shape to begin with.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Most big guys don't last that long anyway. I wonder if he was ever going to have a chance.

No question Shannahan did not handle him properly in Wash, but he also got hurt alot.

But let's not pretend that these 300 pound dudes are in the best cardiovascular shape to begin with.
I don't think him being hurt can totally be laid at the foot of Shannahan, other than being played out of position. The Redskins wanted him to play nose tackle, and he knew they played 3-4 base going in. He thought he could will a change to 4-3, like he played in Tennessee. You say yourself that 300 pounders aren't exactly the best selection to run marathons.

I remember a play against the Eagles were he allowed himself to get blocked into the ground and just laid on his stomach for the duration of the play even after the Philly lineman quit engaging him. That is the exact moment I lost hope for him. Blame it on the end of a blowout if you choose, but there is no defense for that.

Reaction Score
Joba's hard slider was one of the best I've ever seen. Well at least until they made him a starter.

Reaction Score
Down 28 to 3 the pats were doomed.

That gstate up 3 to 1 were the champs.

That Ollie would have a long list of pros in the NBA very quickly (as of 2018).

That brasil was going out in the knock out stages in Russia, darn it Serbia.

That the pacers and Celtics had a chance in game 7 vs the cavs in 2018, ugh.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
When the Vikings traded for Herschel Walker, I thought, “Well, we just won the Super Bowl.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom