OT: - Worst roommate stories | The Boneyard

OT: Worst roommate stories

Reaction Score
I think we have all been there at some point or another, just an awful roommate.

Some worse than others. I think my worst stories are not nearly as bad as some of the stories you guys have.

My wife and I have a house and we rented out a room once and the roommate started giving rent later and later until, one month, it was a month late. My wife confronted her about three weeks into this and she had the audacity to get mad and stormed off. A week later, at the end of the month, she paid half of the rent in coins only. She is a vet but she does not even feed her animals half the time and they prefer to spend all of their time with my wife and me, go figure. My wife walked into her bathroom to get something one day and realized it had not been cleaned in 4 months and, overall, she is a huge slob, you know the type, does not do dishes, does not clean up after the animals if they make a mess, takes our food, etc. I avoided her for, like, two months but she continued to bad mouth me to my wife, really nasty stuff. Asking her stuff like "Why do you spend all of your time with "him" and not me" apparently baffled that husband and wife duos spend time together.

Moral of this story: Don't rent out a room to an (old) friend/don't do business with "friends", some of them will take advantage big time.

Bad, but surely some of you have a heck of a lot worse, so start talking! ;)

Reaction Score
I knew a guy who farted so much his covers hovered 12" above the bed. Had to sleep w windows wide open - quite a feat in winter.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
My worst roommate story:

I remember I got my roommate assignment for freshman year at UConn so I called the guy a few weeks before school. A woman answered. I said who I was and asked for my roommate. She said “he doesn’t live here.” I said oh I’m sorry, I must have the wrong number. She said “you do but he’s my brother. His phone number is...” So first impression: the kid doesn’t know his own home phone number. Okkkkk.

I call the number she gave me. Voicemail. I leave a message. He calls me back a few days later. I’m like “so what do you think you’ll be bringing for the room? I don’t wanna bring two of everything.” He says he will bring “some clothes and an alarm clock.” Okkkk. How about a tv? “No.” A microwave? “No.” Fridge? “No.” How about an area rug? “No.” Okkkk. How about if I bring any or all of those things? “I’d rather you not. I’m there to study.”

I brought every single one of those items.

A few weeks into school, he still hadn’t said a word to me. Not one. The only thing he had said to anyone on our floor was he told a kid he didn’t want to play intramural soccer on the kid’s team because he “knew better players” than this kid he just met for the first time. Totally weird dude. Whatever, I thought, I’ve met a bunch of other kids on my floor. No big deal.

Finally, he comes home one night. I’m already home, shytfaced. I said hi. He says hello. He said he just came home from a party and is blitzed. We got to talking. He’s been my best friend since. That was over 16 years ago.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
My worst roommate story:

I remember I got my roommate assignment for freshman year at UConn so I called the guy a few weeks before school. A woman answered. I said who I was and asked for my roommate. She said “he doesn’t live here.” I said oh I’m sorry, I must have the wrong number. She said “you do but he’s my brother. His phone number is...” So first impression: the kid doesn’t know his own home phone number. Okkkkk.

I call the number she gave me. Voicemail. I leave a message. He calls me back a few days later. I’m like “so what do you think you’ll be bringing for the room? I don’t wanna bring two of everything.” He says he will bring “some clothes and an alarm clock.” Okkkk. How about a tv? “No.” A microwave? “No.” Fridge? “No.” How about an area rug? “No.” Okkkk. How about if I bring any or all of those things? “I’d rather you not. I’m there to study.”

A few weeks into school, he still hadn’t said a word to me. Not one. The only thing he had said to anyone on our floor was he told a kid he didn’t want to play intramural soccer on the kid’s team because he “knew better players” than this kid he just met for the first time. Totally weird dude. Whatever, I thought, I’ve met a bunch of other kids on my floor. No big deal.

Finally, he comes home one night. I’m already home, shytfaced. I said hi. He says hello. He said he just came home from a party and is blitzed. We got to talking. He’s been my best friend since. That was over 16 years ago.

“From the Jungle, With Love”

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
While living in Celeron I was matched up with a kid who sold coke and steroids on the side.

It was wall-to-wall obnoxious frat boys and roid-raging football players for a whole semester.

And he stole my propane grill when he left. And my Pearl Jam "10" CD.

Reaction Score
While living in Celeron I was matched up with a kid who sold coke and steroids on the side.

It was wall-to-wall obnoxious frat boys and roid-raging football players for a whole semester.

And he stole my propane grill when he left. And my Pearl Jam "10" CD.
@jimmyserrano

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I lived in San Francisco for a year after college in ‘89 - ‘90. Shared a nice, big apartment with two good friends. A few months in we met and befriended a good guy around our ages who was in need of a place to stay, so we let him live in the living room for a few months with a promise to pay a certain amount for rent and utilities. The guy prided himself on being a man of his word above all else.

He slacked on paying and then copped an attitude when we confronted him about it, and he left in a huff when I delivered a parting shot. He reached out to me a week or so later saying he wanted to meet with us to clear the air. It was during the NCAAs and we decided to meet at a neighborhood bar (Pat O’Shea’s Mad Hatter) so we could watch the UConn-Clemson game.

Before the meeting I was “elected” by my roommates as the spokesperson to lay out the case of why he owed us the money, and to convince him to pay us. He got there early in the second half and we exchanged niceties for a while and then things got a bit heated and I had to go to work on him. I knew he was a trustifarian so I was relentless, and UConn had a comfortable lead, so I was relaxed.

But as the confrontation got more heated, UConn began to blow the lead. I was trying to keep focused on both missions, but now I was clearly pissed off that he was screwing up the mojo so I got more intense. I excoriated the guy repeatedly with his own words and finally beat him into submission and he paid us on the spot. Then Tate hit The Shot.

I still resent the guy for making me miss so much of the second half.

Reaction Score
My worst roommate story:

Your best friend sounds like Dahmer.

Reaction Score
For two years when I lived in Celeron, I had two beautiful female blonde roommates with lots of drunk friends. ❤ It was the “worst”

Reaction Score
I was blessed with good roommates.

On a similar point, and somewhat related, me and my roommates in Carraige House borrowed power from neighborly girls through a 30 foot orange extension cord to power frivolous things like cd players and televisions. We needed no lights. They eventually pulled the plug - literally - on us and I studied for summer session classes by candelight in the evenings.

Ahh, the memories. :cool:

Reaction Score
Not exactly a my roomate story but...Many years ago I lived in my brother's apartment in Manhattan for a few months. He took on another roomate earlier in the year. He seemed like a nice enough guy from Long Island. He came into a bunch of money, like maybe 200k. It quickly became apparent he had a weakness for hookers and cocaine. Like doing it all the time. He said at one point things were going really great for him because he was dating one of the hooker's and she charged him less. My brother told me he went through all that money and had to move back in with his parents.

I had a roomate in college who I shared a room with and he would masturbate in his bed when he thought I was asleep across the room. Kind of awkward when I yelled at him.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
My freshmen year my first roomate and I parted ways mutually after one semester. Another guy on the same floor had his roomate transfer out, so we decided to room together.

It was great for about a month. Then one day he was just gone. Turns out he had forged all kinds of paperwork stating that he was getting some kind of full scholarship. I guess the university finally called whoever he said was supplying the cash and the jig was up. He had lied to his parents and girlfriend about the whole thing too.

Here's the best part. Evidently he had terrorized his first roommate. The kid would wake up and find nasty notes slipped under the door. One night the RA spent the night outside the door, and when a note appeared that morning, they had their man. But he just got sent to university counseling and didn't get booted. I guess nobody thought about letting me know all this when he moved in with me. Times have changed in 40 years.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sorry in advance.

"Roommate" is one of those words I take very literally. Housemates, suitemates, apartment mates, girlfriends, and wife don't count as roommates. Because I had my own bedroom growing up, I've only had one roommate ever, and he was great.

A rare and horrible form of brain cancer turned the final 14 months of his life into a very sad story that closed this past May.

As such, what's worst is the story and not the roommate.

Reaction Score
Shared a condo with 2 other guys for a couple years. The bathtub drain got so clogged at one point that there was always a 6-8 inch pool of grey water/sludge in there. No one wanted to be the one to suck it up and clean the drain out so.....

1) You either showered at the gym or,
2) Spongebathed yourself standing outside of / hovering over the bathtub as fast as you could.

Oh yeah, there were also mushrooms growing on the tiles underneath the toilet. Needless to say, we didn't get our security deposit back.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Roomed with a kid who would close the window, crank up the heat and paint shirtless in our room. Also walked in on him and g/f using my bed for coitus.

Reaction Score
Personally I havent had a roomate thats been too too bad, but I have a friend that had an awful one. She was the poster child of a slob, never cleaned up, never cleaned out her cats litter box, and one time crapped her pants, and left it in the shared bathroom trashcan.

Reaction Score
Suite mate was dealing weed out of our apartment, would have friends over blasting music in the bathroom connecting the suites until 3/4 am constantly during the middle of the week, bought samurai swords and hacked up all the dorm furniture, threatened the rest of us and then finally got hauled out by the UConn cops and spent a year or two in prison. He was a special kind of stupid.

Reaction Score
Funny stuff. There were some bad ones when I lived with 3 buddies in a beautiful 2 floor apartment in Meriden across the street from the Diablo's CT HQs (not even exaggerating, also Fortes Cafe across the street for those who knew Meriden :eek: ) Anyway we had a mixed crew, me and my buddy were still very much into baseball and basketball on many teams but obviously at 24-25 partying a lot. The other 2 were, well partying and trying to manage a "business" of which is now legal in MA lol. So the stories can go on and on but onceI was out with a GF and I came home latish, 1-2AM and walked up the stairs to which Ihad to walk through the living room to get to my corner bedroom. On the couch with their hairdresser are the 2 business men no one has anything on. Now mind you I was never an angel but this wasn't at all the prettiest sight you've ever seen or one that would make you want to write to Penthouse forum. I get the wave from the hairdresser to join in LOL:confused: and went right to my room as any smart soul would've considering. My other buddy saw the same thing an hour or so later and woke me up.

Let's put it this way our monthly bill got bigger for the 2 of us as the 2 entrepreneurs were asked to leave the next day, not all because they were enjoying themselves we just felt we were in jeopardy of the late knock on the door with a bunch of guys with badges there. We enjoyed the same things but didn't want the business to run through the door, and the hairdresser was downright ghastly.:D

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was very lucky with roommates. But I did have one episode I didn't appreciate.

I had a convertible couch during my 2 years in So. Campus. I typically just slept with the thing closed when sleeping on my own, but when I'd have "guests" over, would launch the bed.

My penultimate roomie wanted to entertain his prey one night and asked if he could use the bed. I said OK and went out for the night. I come back to the room in the wee hours, see that he's left the bed open, so rather than folding the thing up in my inebriated state, I just flopped down in it to go to sleep.

Giant wet spot. Ewwwww.

I got back at him a couple years later. He ended up marrying the girl, and while on their honeymoon, offered me the opportunity to stay at their apartment for a couple nights with my gf at the time. I think by the time we were done, those sheets were so crusty they could've stood in a corner on their own.

Otherwise, we left the place spotless. Even laundered the towels.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22