Worse game ever?

I've been thinking the last time i saw a Uconn team play this poorly and I don't recall.....it's very depressing..For 35 minutes the other night they fought till they ran out of gas and were beaten by a better team..to have not 1 but 2 number 1 ranked high school players and another ranked number 2 and play like that last night is atrocious! They should be ashamed..y ou can have all the talent in the world but to not play hard..there is no excuse..Molly albeit with a lot less talent is the only one that showed any hustle at all..Do they have to have an AA on the team to show them how to play?The shots nay not fall and they can get phantom calls against them sometimes but as long as they play hard and hustle what more can you ask for..this does not even resemble any Uconn team I've been rooting for since Rebecca Lobo.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
OMG - there are many other awful games.
  • Diana & Co at Providence. Geno benched the starters and put the walk-ons in in the first half
  • The Dream Team (DT, Sue, Swin, Tamika, Asjha) at VA Tech - the phantom flagrant foul game
  • Svet, Shea & team vs Iowa State in the Sweet 16
  • No Carolina kicking Charde’s team’s butts in the Civic Center
  • A hideous double digit loss to Michigan State. I think that was in Hartford too
I’ve made myself forget any others but there are others

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Nah, not at all.

Offensively they weren't clicking. But they did shoot 46% overall. Which isn't horrible. Not up to the 50% we'd like to see. 32% on 3pt which is also below avg. but again not horrible. 13 T/Os isn't too bad. 13 Assists isn't too good.

Defensively, really not that bad. Only gave up 56 pts. 33%/30% isn't bad at all defensively. We out rebounded them. Gave up a lot of FT's though, that wasn't good. That's probably what kept the game closer.

Overall it was just a slow, slug it out type game. Not pretty. But there have been other games were we looked/played worse.

Those of us who are scientists or engineers appreciate how if in a complex system a few components are a little off, the system overall can malfunction by quite a bit. 95% to the power of 5 makes the overall system 25% off peak performance. A team that should be scoring in the mid 80's underperforms by 20 points.

There is still time to get this machine back to peak performance. So no doom and gloom!

oldude

bamboo lover
Those of us who are scientists or engineers appreciate how if in a complex system a few components are a little off, the system overall can malfunction by quite a bit. 95% to the power of 5 makes the overall system 25% off peak performance. A team that should be scoring in the mid 80's underperforms by 20 points.

There is still time to get this machine back to peak performance. So no doom and gloom!
:confused:

Maine fan

golfnut
Give them some credit. Ugly? Yes! My wife will attest to the fact that I was very vocal and ranted at the TV, trying to help them "get it together". Bottom line, they had an off night all the way around. However, when it was nearing end of game and Memphis looked to threaten, our ladies made critical shots AND foul shots! My advice to players and coaches, don't forget this one but move on.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
A top-ranked UConn team lost to lowly St. Johns at home in 2012 I believe. It broke their 99 home game losing streak - thats why I remember. The 2nd half was abysmal. UConn couldnt make a shot to save their lives and lost on a last-second 3-pointer. That was pretty bad...
Was that the BEast final?

that reminds me - the loss to Villanova in the BEast final at Rutgers was damn fugly, too. Didn’t stop the Huskies from a national championship though

The St. Johns game was bad--we almost never lose to teams outside the top 25. But St. Johns was not lowly that year. They ended up in the top 20 and did well in the NCAA tournament. But a loss is a horrible outcome and we were really good that year and it was at home. Massey thought we should have won that game by 22. So it was probably our worst game of the decade--only loss to a team outside the top 10 that was at home. Our other losses to similarly ranked teams, like Stanford in December 2014, were away.

cferraro04

Sensei
I will just say...watching all those 3 pointers double rim and out...makes me think you drop a few of those..play defense in the first half like they did in the second half and UConn wins by 30 and Memphis has trouble breaking 50. I'm just sayin'

OMG - there are many other awful games.
  • Diana & Co at Providence. Geno benched the starters and put the walk-ons in in the first half
  • The Dream Team (DT, Sue, Swin, Tamika, Asjha) at VA Tech - the phantom flagrant foul game
  • Svet, Shea & team vs Iowa State in the Sweet 16
  • No Carolina kicking Charde’s team’s butts in the Civic Center
  • A hideous double digit loss to Michigan State. I think that was in Hartford too
I’ve made myself forget any others but there are others
All true..made myslf forget them i guess...i was even at that Providence game

You have to take the team that was involved into account. The current team is fair-to-middlin' at best. I remember other teams with more really good players who stunk up the joint for extended periods of time. That St. John's game, to be sure. A Rutgers game at Rutgers one year during the glory years and at the end of the first half UConn had something like 20 points. They pulled out the win, but OMG it was awful. A game that a good UConn team played against Stanford that was a similar struggle, again with UConn pulling it out at the end. IMHO,both those games were worse because the uConn teams were better. This year's team is capable of playing below its maximum at almost any time.