World Series thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

World Series thread

Reaction Score
Real good point and makes a ton of sense. Keep Roberts managing awful baseball or at least 2nd guessing himself and these God awful weak lineups. Is that the way the Sox are going tonight?
No indication yet for Game 4. It’s Eovaldi for now but Cora has said if the Sox have the lead late and can go up 3-0, he will use Eovaldi again out of the pen.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
No indication yet for Game 4. It’s Eovaldi for now but Cora has said if the Sox have the lead late and can go up 3-0, he will use Eovaldi again out of the pen.

Makes sense. But if the Sox have a large lead late (4+) , then I would not use Nate.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What has surprised me is that Roberts leaves himself with no bench after the 7th inning. I only watch Sox games so I have no idea what goes on in the NL, but that seems odd to me.

With a DH, that's an even more egregious error.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That ability to switch out almost ever position on the field helps them with double switches. But I think there is a reason this team underperformed whatheir run differential suggests.

But having a DH in the first two games, means Roberts needed that option less. So late inning bench shouldn't have been a problem.

Meanwhile, Cora announced that Mookie is not playing 2B tonight. I expect Martinez in left and Benintendi has been as good as anybody for Boston, so I am not sure who sits. I'd sit JBJ or play Mookie at 2B and sit Kinsler.

Especially with the pitcher hitting. Sox offense has been winning them playoff games. Don't subtract two bats from the lineup by keeping Kinsler in there.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

And he should. 3-0 basically closes the book on the series. Worry about game 4 later.

Reaction Score
Just so we're clear, Mookie is 1 million percent playing. Hell, this kid decided to go feed the poor at 1am after that 2nd World Series win! No joke. Can you imagine? We don't deserve him.

He meant play Betts at 2B so JD can start and play in the OF with Benintendi and Bradley.

I know they said they probably wouldn't start Mookie at 2B, but I don't think you can sit Benintendi or Martinez right now and you definitely want Bradley in CF with Martinez in RF.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He meant play Betts at 2B so JD can start and play in the OF with Benintendi and Bradley.

I know, I was just joking there. It was an excuse to get that Mookie feeding the homeless thing in there. Still mind boggling to me.

And just so we're clear, JD is 1 million percent starting.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Since the JBJ thread has devolved into a discussion about cities I’m starting this. I thoroughly enjoyed being at Game 1, one of the best nights of my life.

There is nothing quite like the atmosphere of a home playoff/championship game. The only thing that rivaled WS G2 in 2004 for me was the '03 AFC Championship Game. Never been, but I'd also think playoff hockey is pretty special. The tension oozes through the telecast as it is.

The Big East tourney came close on a few occasions, but those are technically not home contests. The Sweet 16 in 2014 was awesome, and I can't imagine the Elite Eight atmosphere from Chicago Sams, but there is something more to the comradery of like-teamed fans than that which grows between a UConn and Virginia fan vs Michigan State.

Reaction Score
I was fortunate to be at game 2 the other night. Not great seats, section 2 in the right field grandstand, but a full view of the field without craning my neck. We saw an excellent performance by the Sox pitching staff. And that 3-run, 2-out rally was magic.

There were more than a few puzzling moves by Roberts as the game got late. First, Madsen not Baez to squelch the rally? Then he bats Muncy against Kelly. The big scoreboard gives their head to head stats - 3 plate appearances, 3 K's. After that at-bat it's 4 for 4. Then he takes out Freese for Pederson. Freese has been hitting everyone, their best performer in the playoffs. I think I'd let him get a shot only down 2 runs. I know he loves the left-right matchup thing, but his bench isn't that deep, and the Sox do have a couple of lefties in the bullpen to counter that after he's spent his ammo.

In any event, a great experience. Based on what I am seeing, that's likely the last Fenway game this year.

Was also at Game 2....and as a long time LA fan, Robert's continued fixation on matchups drives me crazy.. A guy will hit 2 HR's in a game and sits the next... Not playing Freese on a consistent basis in the playoffs is also head scratching. The only right decision he's made is to sit Grandal who has been god-awful...

Husky25

Reaction Score

I know they said they probably wouldn't start Mookie at 2B, but I don't think you can sit Benintendi or Martinez right now and you definitely want Bradley in CF with Martinez in RF.
Martinez is hurt. 50/50 he starts tonight.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
But having a Dan Hurley in the first two games, means Roberts needed that option less. So late inning bench shouldn't have been a problem.

Especially with the pitcher hitting. Sox offense has been winning them playoff games. Don't subtract two bats from the lineup by keeping Kinsler in there.

Sox pitching gave up a total of 3 hits in game 2. I don't think the offense won them that game. They scored the most runs in MLB I believe, but the pitching has really stepped up in the post season. Now that Kimbrel's pitch tipping has been resolved, he's back to being lights out in the 9th as he was before. Price and Porcello have won recent Cy Youngs and Sale has repeatedly been close. Eovaldi is throwing 100 with accuracy, which he never did before being hurt. E-Rod doesn't stink now that he is healthy.

I'm curious to see how it goes tonight. The big field theoretically benefits the higher average hitters Boston has over the HR focused Dodgers...assuming they get Martinez in the lineup.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Sox pitching gave up a total of 3 hits in game 2. I don't think the offense won them that game. They scored the most runs in MLB I believe, but the pitching has really stepped up in the post season. Now that Kimbrel's pitch tipping has been resolved, he's back to being lights out in the 9th as he was before. Price and Porcello have won recent Cy Youngs and Sale has repeatedly been close. Eovaldi is throwing 100 with accuracy, which he never did before being hurt. E-Rod doesn't stink now that he is healthy.

I'm curious to see how it goes tonight. The big field theoretically benefits the higher average hitters Boston has over the HR focused Dodgers...assuming they get Martinez in the lineup.

Agreed. And lost in the shuffle is that Joe Kelly doesn't stink anymore, either. He's been pretty much lights out impressive. I didn't want him on the playoff roster but Cora proving he was right again.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agreed. And lost in the shuffle is that Joe Kelly doesn't stink anymore, either. He's been pretty much lights out impressive. I didn't want him on the playoff roster but Cora proving he was right again.

When he doesn't walk people, he's great. I recall when we traded for him, thinking immediately that he was a set up man, even though we tried to let him start for two years. He's always thrown 100+, he just has to have more control.

And of course, our UConn guy Barnes is solid.

Reaction Score

That pitch tipping thing is a joke. They said the same thing about Severino, he just sucked. Kimbrell list command and was walking people you don’t need to be tipping pitches to throw balls. He faced a crappy LA lineup you can tip pitches to them and they wouldn’t hit him.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I was talking the whole playoffs. They've been raking most games.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That pitch tipping thing is a joke. They said the same thing about Severino, he just sucked. Kimbrell list command and was walking people you don’t need to be tipping pitches to throw balls. He faced a crappy LA lineup you can tip pitches to them and they wouldn’t hit him.

I don't agree with the latter statement, but agree on the being wild thing. If you give up walks as a reliever, you're screwed.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Martinez is hurt. 50/50 he starts tonight.

He'll play. Unless he can't walk, you don't subtract the most dangerous bat in baseball in game 3 of the WS.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Look at Kimbrel's set position up through ALCS game 4 compared to Game 5 and Games 1 & 2 of the World Series. Kimbrel's woes wasn't only a lose of command. Both the Astros and Yankees were laying off pitches just off the black and sitting on the heat. He was showing professional hitters something.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That pitch tipping thing is a joke. They said the same thing about Severino, ....He faced a crappy LA lineup you can tip pitches to them and they wouldn’t hit him.
What a shame didn't get the chance to see how Luis' tipped pitches would have fared in the WS...NOT!

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
True. Kimbrell's location with his fastball has been dramatically better in the WS, for what reason I have no idea. Plus, he's actually thrown the deuce for strikes more, which means they can't sit on the fastball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
True. Kimbrell's location with his fastball has been dramatically better in the WS, for what reason I have no idea.

Confidence. He's confident he's not tipping his pitches. And overthrowing less.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I don't know if it's Dave Roberts or Andrew Friedman but somebody is overthinking things with these lineups. That being said - and I know as a Sox fan that as soon as I say this they'll lose 4 straight - it really feels like the two best teams just played in the ALCS. I have a feeling LA is going to light up Porcello tomorrow night but Boston is just a better squad.

Happy for Price too. Hard to feel bad for a guy with one of the biggest tickets in professional sports, but it's nice to see him get that post-season monkey off his back.
Red Sox played in a division with a 100 win and a 90 win team and won 108 games. They went 5 and 0 away against the Yanks (100 wins) and Astros (103 wins) in the post season so far. I would feel confident too. Then again today I shot a 39 on the front nine for my best 9 ever on my home course and then laid a 10 on number 10, so confidence can be quite fleeting!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Facing 2 righties is a gift to the dodgers lineup, plus nl rules, jds awful d when completely healthy (forget with a bum ankle...) and the kershaw game in game 5, the dodgers are in about as good of a position as you can be in down 2-0.

My guess is price closes it out in Fenway in game 6 to get the final ultimate proverbial monkey off his back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom