World Series thread | Page 23 | The Boneyard

World Series thread

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have been a Red Sox fan sine the 70's. After seeing all the disappointment of coming up short and horrible luck in Bucky Dent's Home Run, Billy Buckner and 2003 who would have thunk we would win 4 in 15 years. I'm so glad to be a Red Sox fan and World Series Champion once again! Love my Red Sox and hopefully my UCONN Huskies can follow suit and win another NCAA Tourney!
I tell my kids that they have no idea what normal fandom is like. Between the UConn MBB and WBB, the Sox, and the Pats (and the Celts though we aren't big NBA fans), life has been coming up roses for them. Add to that that my son's sports team won or were in the hunt pretty much every year growing up and that is just their worldview.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
My dad and I have been to 4 postseason games together and our teams have won the game and the championship every year we've gone.

2011 - Uconn (Vs. Bucknell and Cinci)
2013 - Red Sox ALDS Game 1
2014 - Uconn vs Michigan State
2018 - Red Sox ALCS Game 2

I'll be starting a gofundme to pay for my future tickets if you'd like to donate to the cause.

Any interest in maybe next year taking a little tour with me and pops?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I tell my kids that they have no idea what normal fandom is like. Between the UConn MBB and WBB, the Sox, and the Pats (and the Celts though we aren't big NBA fans), life has been coming up roses for them. Add to that that my son's sports team won or were in the hunt pretty much every year growing up and that is just their worldview.

Boston has truly been absurd (esp if you're a UCONN fan) the past 2 decades.

Once we turn the corner and start losing (not UCONN) it's gonna be painful. This might sound a bit fair-weather, but my professional sports fandom will probably wain. A lot of that is a function of lack of time, but pro sports has been turned into 'if they don't win a championship, it's a busted season' for me. Totally unrealistic, but it is what it is.

Ultimate first-world-problem here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Boston has truly been absurd (esp if you're a UCONN fan) the past 2 decades.

Once we turn the corner and start losing (not UCONN) it's gonna be painful. This might sound a bit fair-weather, but my professional sports fandom will probably wain. A lot of that is a function of lack of time, but pro sports has been turned into 'if they don't win a championship, it's a busted season' for me. Totally unrealistic, but it is what it is.

Ultimate first-world-problem here.

When is that happening exactly? Red Sox, best team in baseball and young. Celtics, best team in the east and young. Bruins, one of the best teams in the NHL and young. Patriots are the Patriots.

Since the start of the 20th century, the 1990's were the only decade without a title by a Boston team in any of the four major sports.

Reaction Score
Once we turn the corner and start losing (not UCONN) it's gonna be painful.
I don't expect that to happen anytime soon because I think a large part of being a consistent winner is having ownership that makes good decisions and want to win. I think the Patriots, Red Sox and Celtics all have this. Bruins, not as much but not terrible.

For example, at some point Brady and Belichick will be gone and there will be an adjustment period but they will get back to being very good again because I think the Krafts are good owners.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For example, at some point Brady and Belichick will be gone and there will be an adjustment period but they will get back to being very good again because I think the Krafts are good owners.

We'll see. They made one good hire. It's not the Patriot Way, it's the Belichick Way. And it doesn't seem to transfer.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
When is that happening exactly? Red Sox, best team in baseball and young. Celtics, best team in the east and young. Bruins, one of the best teams in the NHL and young. Patriots are the Patriots.

Since the start of the 20th century, the 1990's were the only decade without a title by a Boston team in any of the four major sports.

When Brady/Belichick retire, that'll be a significant change. Celts and Sox are set up very well. I'm not as into the Bruins (will watch the playoffs), as I'm a former Whalers fan.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

The Pats are likely first on tap to fall back. And while they'll still end up being good, it's not going to be remotely the same. There are other good well run organizations out there, and they can't come close to replicating the Pats results. It is both unique and special and very, very rare.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Alex Cora deserves so much credit for the Redsox success. I mean the players absolutely love him, and they performed, and it was full team effort to win it all. I'm hoping the UConn players will feel the same about Hurley. I have a feeling they will.

You're not kidding.

Even players' parents have been thanking him for the relationship he's developed with their sons. Pretty cool. Not all that normal either.

Sunday breakfast on the best day of Alex Cora's professional life was about what you'd expect: swanky Los Angeles hotel ballroom, eager servants, exotic proteins. The room was filled with Cora's ballplayers and their families: children, wives, parents, the random cousin, a favored niece or nephew. There was anticipation in the room as well, this being the morning of the day they all expected to end with a win over the Dodgers in Game 5 and a World Series championship for the Red Sox. And one by one, perhaps sensing it was their last chance, the parents approached Cora, the fathers' hands extended, the mothers angling in for a hug. They came bearing some version of the same message: "Thank you for the way you've treated our son."

'He has a way of making you believe': How Alex Cora built a championship culture

Reaction Score
The Pats are likely first on tap to fall back. And while they'll still end up being good, it's not going to be remotely the same. There are other good well run organizations out there, and they can't come close to replicating the Pats results. It is both unique and special and very, very rare.

I’d like to hear what @TitleTown has to say first. His predictions are stellar.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I’d like to hear what @TitleTown has to say first. His predictions are stellar.

Hopefully he says they'll be dogshite, so I can bet the farm on the Pats every year, enjoy the wins, and make a truckload of loot on top of that.

Reaction Score
And Machado falls to his knees looking silly on a strikeout to end it. Fitting ending to an amazing year.

Reaction Score
Great video on plane. Brock holt deff had a few. Love this team

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I have been a Red Sox fan sine the 70's. After seeing all the disappointment of coming up short and horrible luck in Bucky Dent's Home Run, Billy Buckner and 2003 who would have thunk we would win 4 in 15 years. I'm so glad to be a Red Sox fan and World Series Champion once again! Love my Red Sox and hopefully my UCONN Huskies can follow suit and win another NCAA Tourney!
Go back well before this. Yaz, Tony C., Rico, Lonborg, Stange, and company is one of my favorite Red Sox teams.

I followed the Pats for a long time and never thought they’d win a Super Bowl after getting crushed by the Bears.

I followed UConn men’s bb since the 60’s but made a determination to watch or listen to every game at the beginning of the1989 season. Perfect timing. Started following the women’s team 1991.

My son became a Philadelphia fan (Phillies and Eagles) around 2002 and wife and I began to root for them as well. 2017 I’m rooting like crazy for the Pats against the Falcons. 2018 I couldn’t lose and yet after so many years of Pats following and rooting I wanted the Eagles to win it all. It was a crazy feeling.

Never thought I would experience any championships. I feel really sports blessed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom