OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sorry, dude, but even after giving you all benefit of any doubt, what you wrote is offensive.

Who the cussing cuss are the “half born here”?

He's complaining that the half of the fans who root for Mexico over the USA despite born in the USA are troubling. I think that's completely fair. I would hold fans of Portugal (many near me in RI), Spain, England or Germany to the same standard. Any native born American, regardless of ancestry should put team USA first (even if they have a strong second favorite).

As for the match, I saw the second half. Complete dominance by Germany and they couldn't score. It's one of the things that I find troubling about Soccer.

Reaction Score
He's complaining that the half of the fans who root for Mexico over the USA despite born in the USA are troubling. I think that's completely fair.

As for the match, I saw the second half. Complete dominance by Germany and they couldn't score. It's one of the things that I find troubling about Soccer.
Hypersentitive PC-types aside, we agree @AZHuskiePop referenced "their fans" (mexico's) "born here" supporting mexico in Arizona. (Gracias Señor Gadsden for our purchase.) Even worse, U.S. born and raised ex-US player, Landon Donovan, is cheering for our arch rivals in exchange for advertising dinero.

As for the match, I saw the entire game. As much as Germany controlled most of the second half, el tri absolutely deserves a fair dose of credit for aggressively taking it to the Deutschlanders in the first half, counterattacking often, taking the lead and easily could have gone up by a few more goals. Then, los mexicanos built a pretty effective wall.
Head bang

m9ptag.jpg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Beautiful Goal by England early on against Tunisia. Quite a lot of young talent on that squad, if they can put it together for a change. Maybe this is finally the year. I'll be pulling for them.

Reaction Score
I hate Mexican soccer.Landon Donavan is dead to me . For the casual fan the’re our ( USA’s ) arch Enemy. We hate them with a passion as they hate us.

Unfortunately, this happens at every stadium in the US sans Columbus. We've had cups of urine and batteries thrown at us from upper decks in NJ. We've seen women harassed and abused in the concourse in Philly. We've seen riots in the parking lot. We've seen our rental destroyed by mexican supporters in the rose bowl parking lot. It's ridiculous what they get away with.

If you support the USMNT/WNT, you don't support Mexico.

Unless Wells Fargo pays you to, then I guess you $ellout. Shame.

Any AO members here? The Hartford Chapter President, Tom, is a huge UConn fan & visits the Yard. I’ve been considering joining if I can commit some time. They have their own clubhouse for watch parties.

Hi. Think it's time to stop considering and get on board, we have a lot to do before 2026 :) Free beer on me for anyone who comes to an AO event at Tavern. You won't regret it!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Beautiful Goal by England early on against Tunisia. Quite a lot of young talent on that squad, if they can put it together for a change. Maybe this is finally the year. I'll be pulling for them.

And then the self inflicted idiot move gives Tunisia a penalty. Plus they whiffed on 3 open looks in one sequence.

Reaction Score

England should be up at least 3-0 and instead, it's tied 1-1. They've got some work to do to put it together.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, this happens at every stadium in the US sans Columbus. We've had cups of urine and batteries thrown at us from upper decks in NJ. We've seen women harassed and abused in the concourse in Philly. We've seen riots in the parking lot. We've seen our rental destroyed by mexican supporters in the rose bowl parking lot. It's ridiculous what they get away with.

If you support the USMNT/WNT, you don't support Mexico.

Unless Wells Fargo pays you to, then I guess you $ellout. Shame.

Hi. Think it's time to stop considering and get on board, we have a lot to do before 2026 :) Free beer on me for anyone who comes to an AO event at Tavern. You won't regret it!

Two points to add. 1. If you are a natural born citizen and support some other national team over your own, you are scumbag. Period. 2. I don't feel the same about Costa Rica as a rival, and would like to see the Ticos do well and advance.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
England should be up at least 3-0 and instead, it's tied 1-1. They've got some work to do to put it together.

And they blew another chance in the two minutes since you typed this. Still, they look dominant in every phase except the score. The goals will come. ....and there is another blown chance.

Reaction Score
Two points to add. 1. If you are a natural born citizen and support some other national team over your own, you are scumbag. Period. 2. I don't feel the same about Costa Rica as a rival, and would like to see the Ticos do well and advance.
I don't think that's necessarily true at all. I'm an ardent supporter of the Ukrainian National Team despite never having visited nor even speaking much of the language. I root for both very hard, but gun to my head, they're 1A and USMNT are 1B, as I did when Ukraine beat them 2-0 in a 2014 friendly. There's just too much history of subjugation and repression for me NOT to root for that team to succeed, it's been ingrained in me by my family. And I seriously resent you considering me a "scumbag" for that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't think that's necessarily true at all. I'm an ardent supporter of the Ukrainian National Team despite never having visited nor even speaking much of the language. I root for both very hard, but gun to my head, they're 1A and USMNT are 1B, as I did when Ukraine beat them 2-0 in a 2014 friendly. There's just too much history of subjugation and repression for me NOT to root for that team to succeed, it's been ingrained in me by my family. And I seriously resent you considering me a "scumbag" for that.

Priorities. You live here. USA first. Anybody else you want second. Even a close second. I have first generation friends from Portugal and other countries and I'd say the same to them. But there aren't enough Ukraine fans here to present the same issues that fans of Mexico do. Our team should never have to play the equivalent of a road game on U.S. soil.

Reaction Score

"Scumbag" for supporting your own heritage??? This is so sad.

In the 1940's, my parents escaped the Soviets in Lithuania as kids. I had relatives deported to Siberia simply because they were teachers. I worked as a volunteer on boards of directors for groups working to raise awareness of Lithuania's plight at the hands of the USSR.
When Lithuania became the first country to declare independence from the USSR in 1990, I celebrated like there was no tomorrow.
And when the 2004 Olympics came around and Lithuania beat the US Pro's in hoops. You bet this "scumbag" rooted for Lithuania.

"Born and raised in America with Lithuanian roots."

Reaction Score
Priorities. You live here. USA first. Anybody else you want second. Even a close second. I have first generation friends from Portugal and other countries and I'd say the same to them. But there aren't enough Ukraine fans here to present the same issues that fans of Mexico do. Our team should never have to play the equivalent of a road game on U.S. soil.
So you don't think you're generalizing maybe just a bit by calling someone who would civilly root for one other country against the US a scumbag and equal to the Mexican fans you've described (a point which, for the record, I wholeheartedly agree with)?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So you don't think you're generalizing maybe just a bit by calling someone who would civilly root for one other country against the US a scumbag and equal to the Mexican fans you've described (a point which, for the record, I wholeheartedly agree with)?
"Scumbag" for supporting your own heritage??? This is so sad.

In the 1940's, my parents escaped the Soviets in Lithuania as kids. I had relatives deported to Siberia simply because they were teachers. I worked as a volunteer on boards of directors for groups working to raise awareness of Lithuania's plight at the hands of the USSR.
When Lithuania became the first country to declare independence from the USSR in 1990, I celebrated like there was no tomorrow.
And when the 2004 Olympics came around and Lithuania beat the US Pro's in hoops. You bet this "scumbag" rooted for Lithuania.

"Born and raised in America with Lithuanian roots."

I don't think Americans should ever root against their national team. I don't believe rooting for your "heritage" is any different than what the fans of Mexico are doing. There are just more of them. Scumbag may be harsh, but the word I'd use instead is banned.

Nobody has to agree, but I think heritage needs to be subordinated when people immigrate to the USA. Now, for @UConNick I can certainly see an attitude that said, I'm sad the USA lost, but glad Lithuania was the team to beat them if someone had to.

For the record, I think soccer is slightly different than basketball, where the USA has been dominant. In the basketball situation you're rooting for an underdog, and a U.S. gold medal is less important. It's also less rampant than it seems to be in soccer.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't think Americans should ever root against their national team. I don't believe rooting for your "heritage" is any different than what the fans of Mexico are doing. There are just more of them. Scumbag may be harsh, but the word I'd use instead is banned.

Nobody has to agree, but I think heritage needs to be subordinated when people immigrate to the USA. Now, for @UConNick I can certainly see an attitude that said, I'm sad the USA lost, but glad Lithuania was the team to beat them if someone had to.

For the record, I think soccer is slightly different than basketball, where the USA has been dominant. In the basketball situation you're rooting for an underdog, and a U.S. gold medal is less important. It's also less rampant than it seems to be in soccer.

It's a free country, and people should be able to express their national heritage in whatever way they choose -- regardless of whether or not it hurts your feelings.

Reaction Score
It's a free country, and people should be able to express their national heritage in whatever way they choose -- regardless of whether or not it hurts your feelings.
The demand of blind, irrational loyalty is almost fascist.

I'm not out here throwing bags of pee at fans. Hell, if I ever went to a game between the US and Ukraine I'd probably go as an american fan and keep my personal interests in my head.

But my ancestry is just as important to my identity as my nationality. Especially when one side has been on top of the world for my entire life and the other side has been unfairly repressed and continues to get the short end of the stick, even today. Ukraine deserves my support just as much as the US, though it would never become hostile. I don't see how that's not acceptable to you @HuskyHawk.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

They absolutely can. I wouldn't have it another way.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The demand of blind, irrational loyalty is almost fascist.

I'm not out here throwing bags of pee at fans. Hell, if I ever went to a game between the US and Ukraine I'd probably go as an american fan and keep my personal interests in my head.

But my ancestry is just as important to my identity as my nationality. Especially when one side has been on top of the world for my entire life and the other side has been unfairly repressed and continues to get the short end of the stick, even today. Ukraine deserves my support just as much as the US, though it would never become hostile. I don't see how that's not acceptable to you @HuskyHawk.

You are right. I haven't been very nuanced here. I apologize for that. I certainly think heritage should be subordinated to nationality. Certainly for anyone born here it should win out in the near tie. But that's my view, others can feel differently.

I think the main issue, and this comes up with some of the Mexico fans, is outright hostility to the USA. That's unacceptable. Those are the scumbags. I don't want it to be about just the Mexico fans, so again, I'd say the same for fans of Italy, Germany, Portugal etc.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They can't finish today

England has to stop trying to dribble into the goal, and take some long shots and hope for a rebound. Create some chaos.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Finally! Kane again.

Reaction Score
You are right. I haven't been very nuanced here. I apologize for that. I certainly think heritage should be subordinated to nationality. Certainly for anyone born here it should win out in the near tie. But that's my view, others can feel differently.

I think the main issue, and this comes up with some of the Mexico fans, is outright hostility to the USA. That's unacceptable. Those are the scumbags. I don't want it to be about just the Mexico fans, so again, I'd say the same for fans of Italy, Germany, Portugal etc.
Thank you for saying that, very big of you to apologize. In terms of politics, yes, nationality should be at the top. That being said, for other benign fields, such as sport, I see nothing wrong with letting your ancestry shine through in a civil way.

And I'd be fine grouping the Mexican fans separately. It's a special kind of stupid to take something as trivial as sports and use it to rag on your own legitimate home country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom