OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

Reaction Score
Finally! Kane again.
2 shots = 2 goals, but ironically relatively silent throughout the match. Obviously, the latter's not supported by the former. Getting tackled a few times may not have helped!

kane2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ICELAND!!! I work up there sometimes. Do you realize there are less than 300,000 people there? But they are decendents of Vikings. I love that country. It looks like the moon up there.

Reaction Score
I never understood the narrative that soccer is boring. Especially pro soccer at the highest level.
There are no commercial breaks, except half time, and it's constant action for 90 min. So you get more action, and the game takes far less time than football and baseball.

Talk about wanting to watch paint dry, how about we talk about baseball. I used to love baseball, now I prefer Basketball first, soccer 2nd, and everything else after that. Baseball is 30 seconds of watching a pitcher walk around the mound adjusting his crotch, then 3 seconds of action. Rinse, repeat. And the product is so diluted with 162 games a year, rendering each individual game seemingly meaningless.

Similar deal with football in that there is minimal time of actual action and a lot of standing around and commercials. But football is still far more entertaining than baseball.

For me, and for many of my younger generation-
Soccer>Baseball, hockey, football. Too many stoppages for our attention spans in baseball and football.
I am almost 70 and I couldn't agree more. I see a lot of soccer here in Holland and once you get it it is fun to watch. Rugby as well. Baseball?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
2 shots = 2 goals, but ironically relatively silent throughout the match. Obviously, the latter's not supported by the former. Getting tackled a few times may not have helped!

kane2.jpg
WTF is the point of VAR?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
England has to stop trying to dribble into the goal, and take some long shots and hope for a rebound. Create some chaos.

Man, they had a ton of shots within twelve yards. Everybody but Kane just whiffed on all of them.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

With a finishing striker, that's not a problem. Guy converts his chances. Can't say that about the rest of England. Kane's a finisher.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
really? I thought they were saying that they'll be using VAR to look at fouls on corners in the box

I may have gotten it wrong, but I guess it depends how you interpret the language. 'Clear and Obvious' error....what does that even mean?

Goals
A close offside decision is the most common reason for VAR being consulted after a goal has been scored, but shirt-pulling and other infringements can cause goals to be chalked off.

NB. The concept of 'clear and obvious' errors does not apply to offsides. A player is either onside or offside - you cannot be a little bit pregnant. So even if a player is offside by a matter of inches, the goal will be ruled out.

Penalties

The most subjective and arguably problematic area. Penalties can be awarded or rescinded using VAR if there has been a 'clear and obvious error' in the original decision.

Straight red cards

Violent conduct and dangerous tackles can be penalised using VAR. Second-yellow cards cannot.

Mistaken identity

If the referee sends off the wrong player, such as the famous incident with Kieran Gibbs and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in Arsenal's 6-0 drubbing at Chelsea in 2014, that injustice can be repaired.

The system is restricted to these areas in order to minimise disruption to the flow of the game.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I may have gotten it wrong, but I guess it depends how you interpret the language. 'Clear and Obvious' error....what does that even mean?

Goals
A close offside decision is the most common reason for VAR being consulted after a goal has been scored, but shirt-pulling and other infringements can cause goals to be chalked off.

NB. The concept of 'clear and obvious' errors does not apply to offsides. A player is either onside or offside - you cannot be a little bit pregnant. So even if a player is offside by a matter of inches, the goal will be ruled out.

Penalties

The most subjective and arguably problematic area. Penalties can be awarded or rescinded using VAR if there has been a 'clear and obvious error' in the original decision.

Straight red cards

Violent conduct and dangerous tackles can be penalised using VAR. Second-yellow cards cannot.

Mistaken identity

If the referee sends off the wrong player, such as the famous incident with Kieran Gibbs and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in Arsenal's 6-0 drubbing at Chelsea in 2014, that injustice can be repaired.

The system is restricted to these areas in order to minimise disruption to the flow of the game.

kane2.jpg

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I root for Italy over USA in soccer. Every time. I won't apologize and I will be whatever I am called.

Reaction Score
Colombia just received a red card 3 minutes into the game. Good luck with that!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
As long as England doesn’t make it far, I’m happy. I’ve met like twenty Brits in my life and only two have been cool.

Reaction Score
Two points to add. 1. If you are a natural born citizen and support some other national team over your own, you are scumbag. Period. 2. I don't feel the same about Costa Rica as a rival, and would like to see the Ticos do well and advance.

Agree. If your team isn't in it...who the e_g cares who you root for? I'm rooting for underdogs all the way in this... esp Costa Rica...
Not going to not root for a team because of some history of butthurt... If you don't like what other teams have done to yours...beat them. Scoreboard.

Reaction Score
As long as England doesn’t make it far, I’m happy. I’ve met like twenty Brits in my life and only two have been cool.

hmmm...pretty lucky...that's a higher rate than the norm, I think...

Reaction Score
As Pelosey and Shoomer like to say......."Russia, Russia, Russia!!!!":eek::eek:

Reaction Score
Damn Russians... only solace is that they'll have to play Spain or Portugal.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Damn Russians... only solace is that they'll have to play Spain or Portugal.

Russia gonna !@#$ around and win the whole damn thing*.

*reaping extraordinary benefits of playing Saudi Arabia and Egypt notwithstanding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom