OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 19 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Nigeria's going to be a force in the next World Cup.

Reaction Score
The hands? I get why someone could call that, but it should never be called. If it's not deliberate, I don't ever believe there should be a call.

That pretty much takes out the vast majority of deflections.
Cedric’s was given as a pen and was about 1/10th as obvious. I think Rojo’s is always a penalty, but that’s just my perspective.

Reaction Score
The hands? I get why someone could call that, but it should never be called. If it's not deliberate, I don't ever believe there should be a call.

Agreed. Hand of God!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Cedric’s was given as a pen and was about 1/10th as obvious. I think Rojo’s is always a penalty, but that’s just my perspective.

Cedric's was total BS though. You can't use that as a baseline. It was a refereeing fail.

Now, Nigeria's penalty was also BS in this game, especially given what has gone on in this tournament.

I know it doesn't work this way, but the two calls evened out in my mind.

Reaction Score

Yeah "arms in unnatural spot" is the argument for being deliberate in those cases, but if the defender is not blocking a shot, I think using arms for balance when jumping should be okay.

Nigeria's going to be a force in the next World Cup.

Loved watching Obi Mikel play and they'll miss him, but the rest of the team will be great.

Reaction Score
Cedric's was total BS though. You can't use that as a baseline. It was a refereeing fail.

Now, Nigeria's penalty was also BS in this game, especially given what has gone on in this tournament.
I think that first one was to prevent the absolute ravaging that goes on in the box during corners. Fifa/refs need to crack down on that, because it looks like the line of scrimmage in football.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Argentina vs France is interesting

Argentina is going to have to play their top game to beat France.

I don't think they'll be able to handle France up front though, with Griezmann and Mbappe.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think that first one was to prevent the absolute ravaging that goes on in the box during corners. Fifa/refs need to crack down on that, because it looks like the line of scrimmage in football.

Fair. But as I said mid game, I get FIFA's position, so call egregious violations. But big game changing, very borderline calls are bull spit. The guy fell/dove.

Reaction Score
Argentina is going to have to play their top game to beat France.

I don't think they'll be able to handle France up front though, with Griezmann and Mbappe.

Neither team has been dominant, with Argentina barely even average, but I agree that France has an edge.

I'm wondering why Dybala isn't playing.

Reaction Score
Fair. But as I said mid game, I get FIFA's position, so call egregious violations. But big game changing, very borderline calls are bull spit. The guy fell/dove.
You’re right, I was feeling a little biased cuz I want at least one African team to advance. Hopefully Senegal can get at least a draw against Colombia, but that attack looked really good.

Reaction Score
I mean, it wasn't remotely deliberate. So it's not a call by definition. It was essentially a deflection off his head.
Cedric’s handball was essentially the same thing and it cost Portugal first place in their group. VAR is useless if the refs don’t know what to call.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Cedric’s handball was essentially the same thing and it cost Portugal first place in their group. VAR is useless if the refs don’t know what to call.

That's true. The consistency is the problem. If consistency held, the Nigerian penalty shouldn't have been called either.

Perhaps the refs were spoken to about both scenarios (in reviews) since then, and may have adjusted on the fly.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Nigeria got robbed on that handball
That was accidental. You see tons of those not called. Compare that to the one in the Iceland Croatia game (even though different refs). Good call by the ref.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
That's true. The consistency is the problem. If consistency held, the Nigerian penalty shouldn't have been called either.

Perhaps the refs were spoken to about both scenarios (in reviews) since then, and may have adjusted on the fly.
Nigeria’s was soft but mascherano can’t put himself in that position to make the ref call that. Rojo’s handball was accidental and came off of his header. Good no call. He didn’t even have to look at it that long. I would like to see the replay of I believe it was aguero when he went into the box with the ball off his chest and then two defenders came at him

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Nigeria’s was soft but mascherano can’t put himself in that position to make the ref call that. Rojo’s handball was accidental and came off of his header. Good no call. He didn’t even have to look at it that long. I would like to see the replay of I believe it was aguero when he went into the box with the ball off his chest and then two defenders came at him

Yeah, I don't think we ever got to see the replay on that one during the game? It looked like his last touch was a little rough, so maybe the ref saw that and let it ride. dunno

Mascherano is too experienced to have the hand draped on him like that. Just lift your hand off as he'd going down and you are good. Would have been a big egg on his face if they went out.

Reaction Score
Mascherano is too experienced to have the hand draped on him like that. Just lift your hand off as he'd going down and you are good. Would have been a big egg on his face if they went out.
See the video:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom