Women's World Cup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Women's World Cup

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of women's soccer, but I've been pretty unimpressed with the World Cup so far. Part of it is the play, which has been pretty mediocre at the supposed highest level. I've only seen the games that fall on the weekend, but the teams being called favorites that I've seen (France, England, Norway) have looked error prone on the back line but don't have much dynamic offense either.

I also think the operational side of the World Cup has been poor. The referees have been weak and the VAR has made some questionable calls (the France goal taken away yesterday). Also, the stands have been empty for every game other than France, and even the France/Brazil game didn't look full. Even the scheduling seems off. Why would you have the US and Canada playing on Monday during the day (locally) when you could've had them on a weekend while the European teams play on Monday at night (locally)?

Maybe I'm "misremembering" the last World Cup(s), but this one just seems like a step back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just caught the US v Spain match, well most of it. The US seemed to be off its usual game, not sure if its because that is the way the team has been playing for a while or the really strong physical play of Spain. Morgan & co. are going to wake-up with a lot of bruises tomorrow. I caught at least 1 cleats-up tackle that did not even register a foul while, on the other hand, the second PK that the US was awarded was soft.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just caught the US v Spain match, well most of it. The US seemed to be off its usual game, not sure if its because that is the way the team has been playing for a while or the really strong physical play of Spain. Morgan & co. are going to wake-up with a lot of bruises tomorrow. I caught at least 1 cleats-up tackle that did not even register a foul while, on the other hand, the second US PK that was awarded was soft.

PS - Why on Earth is the USWNT playing France in the quarterfinal? That should be the final.

Reaction Score
Just caught the US v Spain match, well most of it. The US seemed to be off its usual game, not sure if its because that is the way the team has been playing for a while or the really strong physical play of Spain. Morgan & co. are going to wake-up with a lot of bruises tomorrow. I caught at least 1 cleats-up tackle that did not even register a foul while, on the other hand, the second US PK that was awarded was soft.

they were entirely shook after conceding that goal. playing in a tight game with that intensity will do them well moving forward. 2nd pen was Charmin soft, take it to the bank though.

France on Friday could very well be the 'final'. LETS GO

Reaction Score
Today's game between France and the USWNT at Parc des Princes was a fun game to watch. Very tense, physical affair with the US capitalizing on counters and set-pieces while France appears to spend most fo the last 30 minutes in the USWNT's defensive third. I was surprised that the US has a sizable crowd in Paris, much more than I expected. Rapinoe has an awesome game and drove the French defense nuts in addition to her two goals. Morgan had an off-game outside of her work on the second US goal and spent a lot of time down in the pitch. If she's not 100%, not sure she should start. Dunn was a difference maker on defense and she should have had an assist on the 3rd US goal that was waved-off incorrectly for off-sides (where was VAR?). For France, Renard is a nightmare on both ends of the picth and espeically on set pieces for France while Diani and Le Sommer missed a couple of good looks. Only regret was that game was a quarterfinal and not the final. Up next for the US is merry old England on Tuesday. I hope its not 95 F for that match.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All of these 1/4 final games have been very competitive. Germany and the Swedes in a great game now.

Reaction Score
USA big favorites now. I think USA over Netherlands 2-0.

I woudl agree, though England is a solid team and Sweden has had the USWNT's number in big games in the past. I am concerned about any knocks, especially Morgan, that this US has picked-up from a pair of very physical matches in Spain and France with the French game also being an exhausting (heat) and mental (tight game) challenge. Can't look past the Orange.

Reaction Score
I woudl agree, though England is a solid team and Sweden has had the USWNT's number in big games in the past. I am concerned about any knocks, especially Morgan, that this US has picked-up from a pair of very physical matches in Spain and France with the French game also being an exhausting (heat) and mental (tight game) challenge. Can't look past the Orange.

Start Lloyd over Morgan.

It’s tough to win the World Cup. Listening to Talksport this afternoon, the Brits have been getting salty, they are still butthurt over the 13 goal celebrations.

Reaction Score
US is up 2-1 over England at the start of the second half. Good game so far. England seems to be less physical than France; but, tactically smarter. US need to clamp down on their midfield link-ups. US is taking advantage of their superiority in the air. Is Rapinoe injured or does USWNT leadership beleive that Press is a better match-up against England. I suspect that this game will go down to the wire.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
US is up 2-1 over England at the start of the second half. Good game so far. England seems to be less physical than France; but, tactically smarter. US need to clamp down on their midfield link-ups. US is taking advantage of their superiority in the air. Is Rapinoe injured or does USWNT leadership beleive that Press is a better match-up against England. I suspect that this game will go down to the wire.

There was a big discussion on Twitter. It seems that the Press is better able to handle Bronze.

“So You’re Wondering Why Megan Rapinoe Isn’t Starting For The USWNT: As good as Pinoe is, she doesn’t contribute a lot defensively. Christen Press is the fastest and fittest player on the USWNT. England RB Lucy Bronze has been the best player at this tournament. So, that’s why,” McCauley tweeted.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Crap. 2-2. How did they let that happen. Terrible defense.

Reaction Score
Lots of stuff appears on Twitter, but the Fox commentators mentioned Rapinoe has a hamstring injury. Whether the latter is the correct reason she's not playing is TBD.

Reaction Score
Crap. 2-2. How did they let that happen. Terrible defense.
I thought she looked off live, but it was certainly close. The US has dominated and should be up more. I really like Press, but she needed to pass to Morgan on that earlier turnover.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I thought she looked off live, but it was certainly close. The US has dominated and should be up more. I really like Press, but she needed to pass to Morgan on that earlier turnover.

Got lucky it's no goal. As for Morgan...how does she look that good without makeup at the 75 minute mark of a world cup game?

Reaction Score
Got lucky it's no goal. As for Morgan...how does she look that good without makeup at the 75 minute mark of a world cup game?
... by wearing makeup.

They're going to look at the White play. Could get a make-up. Should be a penalty. It was a dive. I'd give her a yellow for acting. That is a garbage call.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
... by wearing makeup.

They're going to look at the White play. Could get a make-up. Should be a penalty. It was a dive. I'd give her a yellow for acting. That is a garbage call.

Wasn't even a dive, she missed the ball and fell down. Shouldn't be a penalty, but we got the save. That avoids some potential controversy.

Reaction Score
There was a big discussion on Twitter. It seems that the Press

“So You’re Wondering Why Megan Rapinoe Isn’t Starting. Christen Press is the fastest and fittest player on the USWNT. England RB Lucy Bronze has been the best player at this tournament.
Fastest, fittest, and fat more distracting to the eye

Reaction Score
Supposedly 20,000+ US fans at this game. Hopefully Megan Lavelle can play in the final, she is such a great attacking mid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom