Women’s NIT field announced | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Women’s NIT field announced

Reaction Score
Looking forward to these WNIT games today and tomorrow. I would like that Mike Neighbors match up with Washington but I like Oregon and Arkansas, so I would rather see that match up. Plus a Harvard vs Florida match up in the Final Four.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Go Dawgs! Ellie Ladine with another very good game. Excited to see her continue to develop.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
We got 3 out of 4…

Washington over Oregon
Columbia over Harvard (in a great game)
Kansas over Arkansas.

Florida vs Bowling Green Monday night.

I wish I knew the rationale for how that chose the home team?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
We got 3 out of 4…

Washington over Oregon
Columbia over Harvard (in a great game)
Kansas over Arkansas.

Florida vs Bowling Green Monday night.

I wish I knew the rationale for how that chose the home team?
As I posted above, the WNIT is a for profit tournament. Teams are placed in the bracket regionally to limit travel until the later rounds.

Teams bid to host tournament games. Ultimately, the company that runs the WNIT - Triple Crown Sports - doesn't really care who hosts, as long as they get their money. I don't know how accurate but Wikipedia reports the first round bid is $6500. While that sounds low, 32 games is $208,000.

Obviously, hosting generally is a benefit to winning. There is a minimum bid, which I think increases by round, and not every team wants to host. When Rutgers won some years back (at UTEP) they didn't bid after I think the first and maybe 2nd round. Too expensive from the powers that were's point of view. Conversely, when Arizona won a few years back, they wanted to host every game, which they did. It was strongly expected in the round we faced Wyoming that they would host, because they bid when they are in the WNIT (which is relatively often) and they usually go at least several rounds. Arizona had to sweeten the bid above the "standard" which they did by adding concession revenue to the guarantee. I'm pretty sure figures for the last game were $25000 or more. This was all written up extensively in our local paper.

Word is that the NCAA will be taking over the tournament and reducing the size of the field - however, teams will no longer have to bid, but I have no idea how they will do it.

Reaction Score
I tip my hat to the Washington Huskies. They beat the Oregon Ducks in what turned out to be a pretty decent game. Washington had a pretty good game plan going into their matchup with Oregon. Congrats, Washington.

Reaction Score
As I posted above, the WNIT is a for profit tournament. Teams are placed in the bracket regionally to limit travel
Word is that the NCAA will be taking over the tournament and reducing the size of the field - however, teams will no longer have to bid, but I have no idea how they will do
Clarification. The NCAA will be forming another postseason tournament not taking over the WNIT. Their action as previously indicated will most likely eliminate or cause the WNIT to go out of business.

The NCAA postseason tournament is most certainly a profit endeavor as well.

It's clear as a monopolist the NCAA can't tolerate competition thus the intention to form an alternative and drive the WNIT out of business.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"think they would claim the change from something that costs you money vs. something you will earn money from offsets the reduction in number of teams"

I'd love to watch NCAA officials make this claim to the basketball players and fans who will no longer get to engage in postseason WBB. While you may be right I would guess there's no one with the kind of courage in the NCAA to publicly make this kind of inane and insulting claim to the basketball community. While the NCAA is a very effective monopolist the officials who comprise that organization lack any semblance of courage or morality.

I suspect we would agree that the NCAA is pursuing their efforts to monopolize the collegiate athletic experience.

We would further, I suspect, agree that the monopolist benefits their organization in this case the NCAA and neither the consumer (fans) nor the employees(players) in that market. After all this monopolist opposed NIL, transfer and other compensation to athletes resulting in the current chaos.

I'm not sure there's a conundrum as those athletes who in the current WNIT world get to perform in the postseason and fans who have the opportunity to enjoy this performance will lose these opportunities after the elimination of the WNIT by the NCAA monopoly results in a 50% reduction in their opportunity to continue a postseason experience. Monopolists always seek to restrict output in order to maximize their profit.

It will be interesting if the WNIT does continue to try to offer these opportunities in the postseason in the face of the power of the NCAA. I would expect the power of the NCAA will be too great for the WNIT to continue to offer these postseason experiences for WBB players and fans.
It will be interesting if the WNIT does continue to try to offer these opportunities in the postseason in the face of the power of the NCAA. I would expect the power of the NCAA will be too great for the WNIT to continue to offer these postseason experiences for WBB players and fans.

As the NCAA has as its number one goal maximizing revenue and profit and with monopoly power they accomplished this by reducing competition and output. The landscape will be much different in the postseason if the NCAA successfully eliminates the WNIT.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oof, I had to give up on my Huskies midway thru Q3. They look like middle school kids trying to play hoops. Went thru the entire first half without hitting a single jumpshot. I'm not exaggerating. Got one runner from about 5 feet, the rest of their few made baskets were point blank range. Q3 started with more of the same, I couldn't watch anymore. Kudos to Kansas, but UW is just stinking up Allen Fieldhouse.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Glad I quit watching. Based on score never improved even slightly. Tough way to end the season, but definitely some positives this year. That said though, UW needs more ballers. Too many players on the team who just can't score, or do much else it appears. The freshman class next year better be good.

KU rolled 61-36.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree. Washington has a lot of momentum going into the offseason after this decent run in the WNIT. Next year could be promising for Washington. The key will be how returning players use the offseason for development and how the incoming freshmen players look.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom