Wolf deserves his own thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wolf deserves his own thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
When healthy, I've always thought Wolf looked plenty athletic for a kid his size. I wasn't sure how his BBIQ was but so far he seems solid. His biggest problem is to stay healthy so he can gain experience and PT to improve his conditioning. So far he's much more than just 5 fouls to give in the post.

With all the defections in the post, his improvement along with Tyler's has been a pleasant surprise.

He played a lot of minutes tonight and didn't look too gassed. If he can consistently give us half of what he gave us tonight, it will make things a lot easier for us. He's obviously got some flaws, but he rebounds well enough and was terrific on the offensive end. As someone pointed out, he doesn't dunk -- or didn't tonight -- but as long as he makes the bunnies, I don't care. With him, Olander, and DeAndre, we're in better shape than I thought we were.

Reaction Score
I disagree about the athletic part, he looked like a sloth the past couple of years but he's clearly put in a ton of work on conditioning and improving his body over the summer. The way he moves now compared to last year is like night and day.

When healthy, I've always thought Wolf looked plenty athletic for a kid his size. I wasn't sure how his BBIQ was but so far he seems solid. His biggest problem is to stay healthy so he can gain experience and PT to improve his conditioning. So far he's much more than just 5 fouls to give in the post.

With all the defections in the post, his improvement along with Tyler's has been a pleasant surprise.

Reactions: caw

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
"Great hands" was the first phrase that came to my mind when contemplating Wolf tonight. He's instantly transformed from Sanka to Starbucks
He still looks like he should be serving me an Americano at Starbucks, but kudos to him. The world's tallest barista.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A please would be nice!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wolf never got a fair shot before this year. I'm glad he's not playing for Rhody.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
The commentators were going crazy for him. He just looked like he belonged out there for the first time in his career. After the first couple baskets, I wasn't cringing when he touched the ball. Wish he could go up a little stronger and dunk it but he's not in there to be an offensive star. His ability to do his job and not have a lot of turnovers stabilized this game when shots weren't falling for Boat, Bazz, and Omar.

caw

Reaction Score
I disagree about the athletic part, he looked like a sloth the past couple of years but he's clearly put in a ton of work on conditioning and improving his body over the summer. The way he moves now compared to last year is like night and day.

He will likely struggle some against more athletic bigs, but he looks solid off the bench. He could have a pretty good senior year. He has lost a ton of weight and looks like he's actually gaining some muscle.

Reaction Score
Agree, needs to improve on defensive end, but can play from high post.

Needs strength, very finesse style. But looks like he has potential for this and next year.

defensively he's a mess defending pick and rolls but offensively he is very skilled, and due to Tyler's inability to finish anything through 2 games he might be a better scoring option b/w the 2 of them. One of Tyler's greatest assets so far has been his ability to operate out of the high post with his passing and decision making and we really don't miss a beat there with Wolf. Hope we see more of him going forward in the future, he looked like the skilled offensive player in those youtube videos. Wouldn't mind seeing some more post up opportunities for him, he converted that move towards the end of the game with ease.

Reaction Score
Just believe because of his basketball IQ he's as competent if not better than all of our big men in the post the last couple season's. He has been beaten and held on to a couple of hedges too long but he has also made some very nice plays in that situation and has the smarts to figure it out with more PT. He also has the size to make up for it but I found nothing last night to tell me he can't help this team a lot more as the season wears on. Not saying he's going to get 12/6 but we now know he can make a shot, pass the ball efficiently, has good hands and knows where to be. Most of all you can't teach 7'................hopefully the Wolf has arrived!!

Reaction Score
Well, Wolf is no Marc Suhr that is for sure.

If Wolf can just give debendable positive minutes like last night what a bonus this would be to this squad.

He has been showing he can be more than just a spot player.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Loved seeing Wolf play so well tonight. The most shocking EW play had to be the 18 footer he sank. He shot that and I nearly cringed and then it swished and I was like, "Whoa!"

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
http://m.quickmeme.com/meme/fs0/

fs0.jpg

I'm not a big fan of rape jokes but this just belongs.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He also had the ball stolen from him early on which would have had JC park him on the bench for the rest of the game.

New era of UConn hoops
KO had the quick hook for Nolan so he's not against using it. The problem with that steal was more on the other four UConn guys on the court with Wolf during that play. There was no movement by the players and all four of the players were on the baseline. Wolfe was at the top of the key with no one to pass to for a very long time.

Reaction Score
He's a menace in the passing lane. He had two steals and influenced a number of others.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
KO had the quick hook for Nolan so he's not against using it.

To me, the quick hook means a guy getting yanked after one brainfart soon after coming in the game, sometime unfairly. Nolan got yanked quickly, but it wasn't the quick hook. He was having a tough time in every facit of the game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He has been beaten and held on to a couple of hedges too long but he has also made some very nice plays in that situation and has the smarts to figure it out with more PT.

Exactly, he needs to get a ton of PT coming up. It will be worth the investment. But my favorite play was when he cut to the basket from the high block. The recognition was as nice as the catch and shot.

Reaction Score
Exactly, he needs to get a ton of PT coming up. It will be worth the investment. But my favorite play was when he cut to the basket from the high block. The recognition was as nice as the catch and shot.

That was a great play and one we saw very little of from bigs lately you're right Waq. And he caught it too......LOL......and finished!! Nice base to work with in Enosch.........look for some good things as you and I have been saying all along!

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
That was a great play and one we saw very little of from bigs lately you're right Waq. And he caught it too......LOL......and finished!! Nice base to work with in Enosch.........look for some good things as you and I have been saying all along!
I really wish that he was redshirted in one of the prior two seasons. In what would be year five, he could have become a quality collegiate center.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I really wish that he was redshirted in one of the prior two seasons. In what would be year five, he could have become a quality collegiate center.
Who couldn't like what we saw? But let's give the kid a few more minutes before we all go orgasmic. One thing is for sure, the Ollie touch gives the kids some breathing room that whatever that previous guy's name was didn't like to do. I like it and maybe Wolf will benefit as much as anyone.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Who couldn't like what we saw? But let's give the kid a few more minutes before we all go orgasmic. One thing is for sure, the Ollie touch gives the kids some breathing room that whatever that previous guy's name was didn't like to do. I like it and maybe Wolf will benefit as much as anyone.
I could be wrong but I believe that for the remainder of this season and next, there will be good moments and bad moments from EW, with the volume of bad moments slowly diminishing. My basic point was that by what would be a fifth year senior season (if he had redshirted in one of the past two seasons), the bad moments would be minimal. Did I say NBA potential? No I did not. Did I say All American or even all Big East? No. I merely said quality collegiate center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom