WNIT | Page 5 | The Boneyard

WNIT

Reaction Score
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

Big Ten got Michigan playing tonight.

Men's side, Big Ten had Michigan State in 2018-19 in the Final Four. In 2020-21, Big Ten had Michigan in the Elite 8. Heck in 2017-18, the Ten had Michigan in the Final Four. How is that embarrassing?
because 2 straight big 10 seasons the men have done absolutely nothing in the tournament but get embarrassed and run off the floor.

Reaction Score
Well to be fair, a plane ride to Brookings, SD is not as exciting to capture, because whereas the Texas A&M men (and all Final Four participants) head to Madison Square Garden and all the glam associated with the Yankees/Knicks/NYC, UCLA is heading to South Dakota State's home arena.

At this point I think there's probably more validity to complaining about the disparities within the NIT vs. WNIT than the NCAA final fours, especially after Sedona Prince called the NCAA out last season, so they'll know they're in the spotlight. The problem is that I'm not sure if the NIT even makes much money, and I'm fairly certain the WNIT does not. I attended the NIT finals in 2012 when Stanford won the NIT, and MSG was emptier than during some Stanford WBB homes games vs. UC Davis...

What is the disparity, Just MSG? So the tournaments have to be in the same facility but why not NCAA tourney too? It'd be better in New Orleans than Minnesota with the cold weather. Its disingenuous, people say home courts for NCAAs because it draws more crowds but if you say same thing for NIT its inequity to Cori Close. They live in LA I think spare me the lack of glam for 1 weekend

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Well to be fair, a plane ride to Brookings, SD is not as exciting to capture, because whereas the Texas A&M men (and all Final Four participants) head to Madison Square Garden and all the glam associated with the Yankees/Knicks/NYC, UCLA is heading to South Dakota State's home arena.

At this point I think there's probably more validity to complaining about the disparities within the NIT vs. WNIT than the NCAA final fours, especially after Sedona Prince called the NCAA out last season, so they'll know they're in the spotlight. The problem is that I'm not sure if the NIT even makes much money, and I'm fairly certain the WNIT does not. I attended the NIT finals in 2012 when Stanford won the NIT, and MSG was emptier than during some Stanford WBB homes games vs. UC Davis...

Someone responded to Close and said its not fair she has to play at South Dakota State this late in the year instead of neutral floor and she liked the tweet. Its hypocritical, how many fans would go watch UCLA and South Dakota State in New York? How many more will watch them at South Dakota State? This is same argument used for letting UConn play Elite 8 in CT so where is it hypocritical? Is Wes Moore protesting right now?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Someone responded to Close and said its not fair she has to play at South Dakota State this late in the year instead of neutral floor and she liked the tweet. Its hypocritical, how many fans would go watch UCLA and South Dakota State in New York? How many more will watch them at South Dakota State? This is same argument used for letting UConn play Elite 8 in CT so where is it hypocritical? Is Wes Moore protesting right now?
Unlike the NCAA home courts, assigned by merit, the WNIT are actual financial bids. Arizona went "all in" the year we won and we hosted all the rounds. According to the paper Arizona got over the hump not only by exceeding the required financial bid, but by agreeing to throw a percentage of the concessions in.

I don't know if the WNIT organization makes money or not. They do get large crowds, typically, for the last 2 rounds at least, and there are minimum bids to host each round. I suspect some of the schools, with crowds well under 1000, do not make money on earlier rounds. Although they seem better this year, often referees were, well, not the top of the line, probably because they didn't pay much.

Wyoming has almost always hosted, they get a good crowd for it, they were one of the programs we outbid in 2019. They were not happy, in fact according to the paper they were completely shocked. As I say, Adia got the Arizona AD to really push it. SDS is another good crowd site. UCLA - not so much?

Reaction Score
Unlike the NCAA home courts, assigned by merit, the WNIT are actual financial bids. Arizona went "all in" the year we won and we hosted all the rounds. According to the paper Arizona got over the hump not only by exceeding the required financial bid, but by agreeing to throw a percentage of the concessions in.

I don't know if the WNIT organization makes money or not. They do get large crowds, typically, for the last 2 rounds at least, and there are minimum bids to host each round. I suspect some of the schools, with crowds well under 1000, do not make money on earlier rounds. Although they seem better this year, often referees were, well, not the top of the line, probably because they didn't pay much.

Wyoming has almost always hosted, they get a good crowd for it, they were one of the programs we outbid in 2019. They were not happy, in fact according to the paper they were completely shocked. As I say, Adia got the Arizona AD to really push it. SDS is another good crowd site. UCLA - not so much?

So what is it that is unfair though? Close complaining by quoting the A&M teams post just seemed to be so weak and she claims she is happy for them but why bring them into it? Say what your issues are. Her issue is playing a road game vs. South Dakota State? Is that the equity issue here? Oh please I hope she has more substantive problems than that.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
So what is it that is unfair though? Close complaining by quoting the A&M teams post just seemed to be so weak and she claims she is happy for them but why bring them into it? Say what your issues are. Her issue is playing a road game vs. South Dakota State? Is that the equity issue here? Oh please I hope she has more substantive problems than that.
It isn't specifically unfair - it isn't specifically set up to be fair either. It is what it is. You pay for your home court advantage. Obviously UCLA didn't bid enough.

Fair, largely, would be neutral courts or earning a home court game by merit, basically what the NCAA does. The WNIT is a for profit affair, run by a sports promotion company. Not going to happen. As you may have noted, the NIT is abandoning the Garden after this season. The NIT is not what it once was, either.

She is free to whine, lots of teams have been unhappy over the years with where they have had to play, but it just isn't something that is likely to change.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It isn't specifically unfair - it isn't specifically set up to be fair either. It is what it is. You pay for your home court advantage. Obviously UCLA didn't bid enough.

Fair, largely, would be neutral courts or earning a home court game by merit, basically what the NCAA does. The WNIT is a for profit affair, run by a sports promotion company. Not going to happen. As you may have noted, the NIT is abandoning the Garden after this season. The NIT is not what it once was, either.

She is free to whine, lots of teams have been unhappy over the years with where they have had to play, but it just isn't something that is likely to change.
The NIT not being at the Garden is like an egg roll with no hot mustard. (Yes, I just ordered dinner)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Lest it be neglected amid the excitement of that other game last night, Seton Hall prevailed in a close game at Columbia and will now face MTSU in the semifinals.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Semifinal matchups on Thursday:

Seton Hall at Middle Tennessee (7:30p, ESPN3)
UCLA at South Dakota State (8p, ESPN3)

Reaction Score
Columbia had a tremendous tournament.
I’m pulling for the Jackrabbits the rest of the way

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There was some confusion about the dates for the semi-finals, it originally looked that one was scheduled for tomorrow which would have been a fast turnaround for SH. They are now both on the 31st.

Reaction Score
There was some confusion about the dates for the semi-finals, it originally looked that one was scheduled for tomorrow which would have been a fast turnaround for SH. They are now both on the 31st.
They are a half hour apart, last time I looked. Going to be a lot of scoreboard watching going on.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
South Dakota St vs Seton Hall for the WNIT Championship on Saturday. Both games tonigfht were nail biters.

Plebe

Reaction Score
South Dakota St vs Seton Hall for the WNIT Championship on Saturday. Both games tonigfht were nail biters.
And I don’t even have to wait for the official news to know the game will be in Brookings. Lord knows Seton Hall would never win a bid for the championship game with that cracker box gym they play in.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
And I don’t even have to wait for the official news to know the game will be in Brookings. Lord knows Seton Hall would never win a bid for the championship game with that cracker box gym they play in.
Nor would UCLA, as nobody would show up on Saturday at 11am PDT

Reaction Score
Wow - Seton Hall wins in a thrilling finish at Middle TN. UCLA and SDSU are going to the wire as well. The WNIT has had some really good games.
Thanks for update. C’mon Jackrabbits
Jackrabbits win! Jackrabbits win!
62-59

Reaction Score
South Dakota State got the win I see. Internet was wacky tonight for some odd reason. Last part of the game I saw, it was tied up; 57-57. Good game. Great win for South Dakota State and their program. UCLA had a great run but hats off to South Dakota State.

Reaction Score
Nor would UCLA, as nobody would show up on Saturday at 11am PDT
Does anyone really show up at any time for a UCLA home game? I once saw UCLA play on the road at Sac State. Jordon Canada, Monique Billings, Kelli Hayes, Kennedy Burke etc. Fun game. UCLA scored over 100 in that game. Year after they won NIT

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
And I don’t even have to wait for the official news to know the game will be in Brookings. Lord knows Seton Hall would never win a bid for the championship game with that cracker box gym they play
cracker-jack (adjective)
  1. exceptionally good.
Um, isn't Walsh Gymnasium kind of small? :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well @Basket got me thinking about UCLA attendance and SDSU attendance and I guess as I have been duly impressed by the state of Iowa and the legions of fans who come out in droves for both those programs, I was excited to see the last 5 years of noted attendance:
School 2022 2020 2019 2018 2017
UCLA 1,103 2,940 2,876 3,249 2,263
SDSU 1,919 1,819 2,106 2,026 1,908

And as you can see, I am sorely disappointed. So while UCLA does out draw SDSU, this attendance is pathetic. Really? Couldn't they get some boosters to buy seats and give them to the local Boys and Girls clubs or Youth Sports?

That said, I do want to give props to Cori for playing in this tournament again after many years of consecutive NCAAs and some moderate success in the NCAAT. She too could have claimed a "goal" of NCAAT or bust but she chose for development and playing. Good for her and I hope this springboards next years team along with their top recruits to success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bballmicmac

Top Bottom