WNBA thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm waiting for KLS to blossom into something the Boneyard thinks she could be. She wasnt a 4 in Chicago, okay. She is playing with ball hogs in Dallas, okay. She started slow in Seattle, but she left for 3 on 3, okay. I'll continue waiting on anything significant from her. If all she has to contribute is being a 3 point shooter, good luck to her. She has never been known to be a defender or rebounder, so how can you say she will somehow start contributing?
She was a top rebounder for her Spanish team and actually began rebounding in her final year at UConn. Watching her tonight against Atlanta, she proved she can start for the best team in the WNBA if she can keep fouls down. She is shooting from all ranges, is cutting well, and made some excellent defensive plays. On the 3x3 team her defense was stellar. It needed to be considering how weak Plum’s was.

Reaction Score
She was a top rebounder for her Spanish team and actually began rebounding in her final year at UConn. Watching her tonight against Atlanta, she proved she can start for the best team in the WNBA if she can keep fouls down. She is shooting from all ranges, is cutting well, and made some excellent defensive plays. On the 3x3 team her defense was stellar. It needed to be considering how weak Plum’s was.
She split minutes with Talbot, and had similar production. They could be interchangeable. I was expecting more inside looks for her, considering Atlanta's back court. She has at least 5 inches if not more on Hayes, Williams, and Sims. I'll eat crow if she can consistently produce over the course of a season.

Reaction Score
I'm waiting for KLS to blossom into something the Boneyard thinks she could be. She wasnt a 4 in Chicago, okay. She is playing with ball hogs in Dallas, okay. She started slow in Seattle, but she left for 3 on 3, okay. I'll continue waiting on anything significant from her. If all she has to contribute is being a 3 point shooter, good luck to her. She has never been known to be a defender or rebounder, so how can you say she will somehow start contributing?
Let’s see. In 19 limited minutes due to foul trouble, KLS was second in rebounds with five (Stewie had nine in twice minutes played). Add ten points, one stylish assist and a block, plus what seemed to me a damn good defense, I’d say she continues to build on her MVP pro season in Europe, where she both scored and rebounded at a high level, and an undefeated 3x3 Olympic campaign. She is about to turn 24. The future is bright. When she got in foul trouble, Talbot came in and played an equal number of minutes, scoring 13, a couple of shots after Atlanta essentially threw in the towel, but had no rebounds, assists, or blocked shots with one turnover and a more porous defense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Let’s see. In 19 limited minutes due to foul trouble, KLS was second in rebounds with five (Stewie had nine in twice minutes played). Add ten points, one stylish assist and a block, plus what seemed to me a damn good defense, I’d say she continues to build on her MVP pro season in Europe, where she both scored and rebounded at a high level, and an undefeated 3x3 Olympic campaign. She is about to turn 24. The future is bright. When she got in foul trouble, Talbot came in and played an equal number of minutes, scoring 13, a couple of shots after Atlanta essentially threw in the towel, but had no rebounds, assists, or blocked shots with one turnover and a more porous defense.
Lou definitely has the skills to succeed on a team oriented squad like the Storm but in the end, she needs to keep her confidence high and shoot well. That is where Sue and Stewie come in. And it also helps if the coaches do what Geno does and emphasizes doing other stuff (defense / rebounding, assists) and the shooting comes around.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
KLS has only played 5 games so far, but I'd say she's had 2 good games and 3 bad ones. To suggest she is clearly better than Talbot this year is not even slightly based on anything factual. Look at their shooting stats--Talbot in a landslide so far. All other stats are fairly close, but rebounds is the only thing KLS leads, and that just barely. MPG are essentially identical.

Talbot has been able to contribute as both a starter and a sub. KLS has been completely ineffective off the bench, they pretty much have to start her or else she doesn't contribute at all.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
LA Sparks laying an egg. Washington up 79-55 6+ minutes left. Tina 20 pts 10 rebounds but had alot of silly fouls that cut her minutes. Now just resting.

Reaction Score
After each game played by KLS there is always some back and forth over her stats. KLS has struggled to get off to a good start in her WNBA career when compared to expectations. She was a fantastic college player whose limitations were largely hidden due to the talent around her and the system Uconn utilizes. I still believe she has time to improve her game and show what she's capable of. I also think it's possible this is just who she is. Some players are just fantastic college players and not much more.

KLS, Gabby, and Nurse are all likeable, skilled players who I expect the fans of this board to root for and defend. Personally I doubt any of them are all star level players who are the focal points of a roster but I would take any or all three on my team if I were building one.

Reaction Score
Another game where Dupree comes in and the Storm can't shoot or defend. She needs to be gone.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lou looking pretty good in 1st half. Williams a tough match up.

Reaction Score
I forgot the Dream needed to get a new coach. I thought, for a brief second, that was Larry Bird coaching.

W

wolfe613

it feels like this rookie class has struggled, really intrigued to who's gonna win rookie of the year

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
it feels like this rookie class has struggled, really intrigued to who's gonna win rookie of the year
Maybe not this year but Aari has a lot of Crystal in her and is probably better defensively. She stoned Sue Bird on a drive.

W

wolfe613

Maybe not this year but Aari has a lot of Crystal in her and is probably better defensively. She stoned Sue Bird on a drive.
that was my guess, I thought her and Didi Richards were the most ready for WNBA

W

wolfe613

Rookie stats link. Onyenwere at 11.4 has quite a lead on the others. Didi as a defensive stopper perhaps.

WNBA Stats | Season Rookie PTS Leaders
yep not surprised, Ucla has a great head coach that doesn't get a lot of recognition, her players seem to be mature in the WNBA. a shame the 2020 tourny got cancelled cause I really think aside Oregon they were the best team in the Pac 12. Just nice to see the conference as a whole get recognition

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
yep not surprised, Ucla has a great head coach that doesn't get a lot of recognition, her players seem to be mature in the WNBA. a shame the 2020 tourny got cancelled cause I really think aside Oregon they were the best team in the Pac 12. Just nice to see the conference as a whole get recognition
Well, I am surprised and I bet most people are. Especially her outside shooting. Her best year in college was 33% from 3 but she is at 45%. Hope it lasts since I am a Liberty fan

Reaction Score
KLS has only played 5 games so far, but I'd say she's had 2 good games and 3 bad ones. To suggest she is clearly better than Talbot this year is not even slightly based on anything factual. Look at their shooting stats--Talbot in a landslide so far. All other stats are fairly close, but rebounds is the only thing KLS leads, and that just barely. MPG are essentially identical.

Talbot has been able to contribute as both a starter and a sub. KLS has been completely ineffective off the bench, they pretty much have to start her or else she doesn't contribute at all.
Guess we are seeing different games. Talbot has almost no rebounds, assists, etc. Her shooting has been relatively good but that is her only contribution on the offensive side of the floor and her defense is non-existent. I actually see Stewie scored on more than KLS. So the stats when KLS wasn’t off at the 3x3 games heavily, repeat heavily, favor her over Talbot. Not only has KLS upped her rebounding game, her passing continues to be excellent.

Reaction Score
Guess we are seeing different games. Talbot has almost no rebounds, assists, etc. Her shooting has been relatively good but that is her only contribution on the offensive side of the floor and her defense is non-existent. I actually see Stewie scored on more than KLS. So the stats when KLS wasn’t off at the 3x3 games heavily, repeat heavily, favor her over Talbot. Not only has KLS upped her rebounding game, her passing continues to be excellent.
Talbot also caused 3 turnovers yesterday that she wasn't credited with. 3 times the shot clock was down to 2 or 3 seconds, and she passed to someone else, rather then take the shot.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Totally agree. One post pass into Mercedes was particularly nice because it was thrown to the correct shoulder away from the defense.

Reaction Score
Davis is out for the season. So.. she can still win ROY next year. Also, Sheppard is out with a groin injury. Powers is back. The Lynx released Clariton, but will probably resign her

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Chi / IND in a close one. Candace Parker looks to be the difference down the stretch.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Chi / IND in a close one. Candace Parker looks to be the difference down the stretch.
Nice double-double for CP. Allie Quigley scored the last 6 points for Chicago. Two old ladies who love a matinee.

AZgirl

Pac-12 women's sports all day long
Reaction Score
Aari's playing time is so erratic. Has been all season. I don't think Atlanta is a good place for her. Too many guards who need the ball in their hands. It's just not a good fit, especially since the franchise is kind of a mess.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Good Guys (Lynx) smoosh the life out of Bad Guys (Sparks) in 4th Q after Lynx have a "gross" 3rd period giving up a 14 pt lead.

Lynx respond after poor third quarter to put away Los Angeles (yahoo.com)

This was a game in the grand tradition of the Lynx-Sparks rivalry, a chippy game from the start that got hotter as the game went on. Three of the five technicals were on the Lynx, the first on Reeve for arguing an offensive foul call on Sylvia Fowles. But then, midway through the fourth quarter, with the Lynx up six, Collier drove the lane and was fouled, hard, by Arella Guirantes (Gee, a Rutgers player :eek:, ) . Collier, usually the most even-keeled player on the court, took issue with the foul and a post-play push. And then Sparks center Amanda Zahui B — the former Gopher — came over and pushed Collier again.

By the time that was over four more techs had been called, two on each side, and the Lynx were hot. They outscored the Sparks 12-2 the rest of the way.:D:D:D

When Collier is getting teed up, you know things are intense. "Phee, she's not going to let anybody push us around,'' Dangerfield said. "It's like Syl said, 'We won't let anybody punk us.' ''

Unfortunately, Naphessa had her C game but Crystal continues to light a fire but clearly game ball goes to Rachael Bahnam who hit 2 3;s in a row to 'disconnect' the Sparks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom