WNBA Thread - Post Olympics | Page 5 | The Boneyard

WNBA Thread - Post Olympics

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The stars are struggling today. Stewie 5-15, Loyd 2-10, Bird 2-7, Charles 6-17, Atkins 4-11.

KLS, Russell and Magbegor all have 10, on a combined 14-18 shooting.

Cloud is 5-7.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The game loss? or did an injury happen to a Liberty player?
The game. Really a team they should've beaten. Making the playoffs is not a given for them.

edit--apparently Whitcomb went down late in the game, so there was an injury too. Ankle?

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Mystics grab their first lead since early Q2. Storm choking down the stretch again? Stewie and Loyd sure aren't hitting buckets when they need it. 3 1/2 minutes left.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Tina the stud of this game.
Hmm...shooting is up to 8-20 now, okay but not really good. Most of the game she was missing shots.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
A couple big 3s from Bird and Talbot, Storm up 9. Looks like they recovered nicely after giving up the lead.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'd say the story of the game is Russell and Magbegor both w/ 14, shooting a combined 13-16. Russell has 8 rebounds. None of the stars were efficient today.

Well, EDD returning is really the story of the game. After a tough first half she got going in the 2nd half.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
85-78 final. Storm back in a virtual tie w/ LV and Connecticut.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am beginning to worry a bit about Sabrina. Not sure she has that extra gear to get some easy shots. And these close bounce passes just too dangerous to make against an aggressive defense

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I am beginning to worry a bit about Sabrina. Not sure she has that extra gear to get some easy shots. And these close bounce passes just too dangerous to make against an aggressive defense
The supporting cast at Oregon vs the cast on the Liberty is light years different. I think Liberty need to get better inside players, to help her. She cant play with Sami and Becca, both outside shooters and be as effective. No Sabally or Hebard on this team.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
No Sabally or Hebard on this team.
Howard has only been available for 6 games this season. She's been up and down, but I think you have to have some more repetition to establish some continuity. She potentially could work very well w/ Ionescu. But yeah, after that it's slim pickins'. Shook and Gray?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Pheesa sleepwalked through alot of the game but came alive in the 4Q inclusing a massive stuff on Dolson. Pheesa likes to stuff our players :eek:
The really uncharacteristic thing is Collier has missed multiple bunnies in the last couple of games. I counted three times in the latest game where she made a great cut, got a great feed, had nobody within three feet of her, and blew the finish.

She airballed a free throw too.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The supporting cast at Oregon vs the cast on the Liberty is light years different. I think Liberty need to get better inside players, to help her. She cant play with Sami and Becca, both outside shooters and be as effective. No Sabally or Hebard on this team.
I watched the game yesterday and keyed in on Sabrina for a while. She was not a good PG in that game. I haven't seen a ton of NYL games this season, but in that game, the tight aggressive defense gave her fits and caused multiple errors on her part.

I know she played PG at Oregon (sure they had Cazorla as the "official" PG - but the ball was in Sabrina's hands to made decisions most of the time), but it seems she may be more suited to the 2G. Like Diana - Sabrina CAN make some terrific passes and is a good decision maker, but against elite competition, she's not quick enough when guarded hard and tight.

Again just an observation from that game - maybe she just needs to adjust more.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I watched the game yesterday and keyed in on Sabrina for a while. She was not a good PG in that game. I haven't seen a ton of NYL games this season, but in that game, the tight aggressive defense gave her fits and caused multiple errors on her part.

I know she played PG at Oregon (sure they had Cazorla as the "official" PG - but the ball was in Sabrina's hands to made decisions most of the time), but it seems she may be more suited to the 2G. Like Diana - Sabrina CAN make some terrific passes and is a good decision maker, but against elite competition, she's not quick enough when guarded hard and tight.

Again just an observation from that game - maybe she just needs to adjust more.
Dont forget, it is often easy to over look ones mistakes when they play for a top team, like Oregon was during her 4 years there. When you play for a not as talented team, sometimes your mistakes are noticed much more.
She is a very talented player and when the surrounding team improves she will be seem much better. It doesnt mean she still wont make those mistakes, but when you win more games, and more games by bigger margins, the critics are often quieter.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Storm sign Karlie Samuelson for remainder of season.

Um...that's cool for the Samuelson sisters to be united, but one more small forward is exactly the last thing in the world they needed. They already have Katie Lou, Talbot and Burke (who barely plays). What they really need is another post. Burdick is provides nothing.

Reaction Score
Um...that's cool for the Samuelson sisters to be united, but one more small forward is exactly the last thing in the world they needed. They already have Katie Lou, Talbot and Burke (who barely plays). What they really need is another post. Burdick is provides nothing.
Karlie will play some guard, plus Burke, and Burdick aren't good enough to get meaningful minutes. At least Karlie is a shooter, and when Canada is on the floor you need people who can hit from deep.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Are there posts available? Also Karlie plays solid "D" which helps out a lot.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Are there posts available? Also Karlie plays solid "D" which helps out a lot.
I gotta think somewhere, somebody is just sitting around waiting for a call, who is better than Burdick. There has to be.

I like Karlie, but I have a hard time seeing her getting meaningful minutes w/ Seattle. She hasn't gotten a whole lot of PT on worse teams. Between an already crowded rotation at the 3, and Canada and Prince taking up pretty much all the minutes as backup guards, I just don't see it.

Fun fact about shooting--her career FG% is lower than Canada's (.348 to .385). She shoots better from outside the arc than inside, by a wide margin. You don't want her shooting anything other than 3s.

Reaction Score
I gotta think somewhere, somebody is just sitting around waiting for a call, who is better than Burdick. There has to be.

I like Karlie, but I have a hard time seeing her getting meaningful minutes w/ Seattle. She hasn't gotten a whole lot of PT on worse teams. Between an already crowded rotation at the 3, and Canada and Prince taking up pretty much all the minutes as backup guards, I just don't see it.

Fun fact about shooting--her career FG% is lower than Canada's (.348 to .385). She shoots better from outside the arc than inside, by a wide margin. You don't want her shooting anything other than 3s.
That's what they want her for, a bigger guard who can shoot the three. When Canada, and Prince are in the lineup together you have 2 small guards.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

Fun Fact 2--about FG% on the Storm
Of the current starters for the Storm---> Stewie, Bird, Russell, Loyd and KLS, here are the current FG%--taken from "Her Hoops Stats" as of today.

Overall
Russell 59.6%
KLS 46.3%
Bird 45.1%
Stewie 44.4%
Loyd 42.8%

2pt FG%
Russell 59.6%
KLS 57.1%
Bird 50.0%
Stewie 49%
Loyd 45.9%

3Pt FG%
Russell 0%---> has not taken a 3 pt shot this season
KLS 34.5%
Bird 42.5%
Stewie 35.7%
Loyd 38.0%

I wonder how many knew that Lou is second on the Storm, for starters, in overall and 2 pt FG%.

Off the bench Talbot @ 49.5% and Magbegor @50.4% both have solid overall FG%

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That's what they want her for, a bigger guard who can shoot the three. When Canada, and Prince are in the lineup together you have 2 small guards.
I don't know if rosters are accurate, but Prince is listed as 1 inch shorter and 30 lbs. heavier than Loyd. She ain't that small. I still don't get it though. Are you saying 3 guard lineup? Or she's going to take Prince's minutes? Or Prince will play PG and she'll take Canada's minutes?

This is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. We all know Canada can't shoot 3's, but Karlie isn't a PG. Looking at stats, Loyd, Stewie, Bird, KLS, Talbot, Prince, and even Burke and Magbegor in limited attempts can all hit the 3. There is not a lack of 3 point shooting on this team. Prince and Talbot have the top 2 3 point shooting % on the team excluding Ezi, who has probably only taken a few--48.6 and 46.8. There's not a glaring need for a shooter on the bench.

Ezi is the only backup post player. I don't even count Burdick. If Seattle was gonna sign another player, it needed to be a 4/5, not a 2/3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom