WNBA Thread - Post Olympics | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WNBA Thread - Post Olympics

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Lib up 1 at halftime. The new Big 3 for Seattle is Loyd, KLS and Prince. Unfortunately getting almost nothing from the rest of the team.

Ionescu just looks like she's stuck moving in slow motion. Will she ever get healthy and be the player she could've been?

Sabrina finished with 10pts, 7 rebounds, and 5assists (and an uncharacteristic 5 turnovers).

IMO, people have been way too harsh on her performance this year. She's not shooting 2-pointers well, but she's 4th in the league in APG and averaging nearly 6rpg as a PG. If she can stay healthy, I'm still buying Sabrina stock.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sabrina finished with 10pts, 7 rebounds, and 5assists (and an uncharacteristic 5 turnovers).

IMO, people have been way too harsh on her performance this year. She's not shooting 2-pointers well, but she's 4th in the league in APG and averaging nearly 6rpg as a PG. If she can stay healthy, I'm still buying Sabrina stock.
She's a skilled player, she's still having an impact on the game. But she does not look like the same player she was at Oregon at all. She was never the fastest or quickest player, but she was much more dynamic than this. I think we saw the real Sabrina for a few games at the beginning of the year, but not so much since.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Sadly, I kind of agree. But I think she looked more like herself right before the break and now after the Olympics, if still not the Sabrina I remember from here years at Oregon. So, I'm hopeful that (perhaps) the injuries are finally receding into the past.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Collier just doesn't match up well against Bonner. I'm not sure anyone does, but Pheesa's had two poor games in a row -- poor shooting, almost nonexistent rebounding, Bonner is having another good game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think Charles' MVP candidacy is fading. The Mystics just aren't good enough. Regardless of how remarkable her season has been, your team can't be fighting for one of the last playoff spots if you're an MVP.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Don't look now, but the Sparks are trying to sneak into the playoffs. No Parker, no Gray, no problem.

Atlanta continues their march to the bottom of the standings. 14 Ls in their last 16 games. I don't think the previous owner was really the problem with that organization.

Reaction Score
I think Charles' MVP candidacy is fading. The Mystics just aren't good enough. Regardless of how remarkable her season has been, your team can't be fighting for one of the last playoff spots if you're an MVP.

Griner looks like she wants that trophy

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stewie and Bird are back. Not helping that much. NY is teeing off from 3.

Whitcomb got off to a good start last game, then disappeared. She's torching the Storm today. 15 pts in Q1, perfect shooting so far.

edit--it's back to the Big 3, and nobody else doing anything for Seattle; combined for 21 of their 23 points in Q1

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maybe the teams are wearing the wrong uniforms? Seattle is 9-12 from 3 to NYs 6-14, but the Storm have 12 TOs and Lib only 4. I think NY sometimes has 4 TOs on one possession normally. :rolleyes:

Lib up 1 at halftime.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well, NWHoop, the former Storm are 1/2 -- Sami has been spectacular, Howard just not feeling it tonight.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well, NWHoop, the former Storm are 1/2 -- Sami has been spectacular, Howard just not feeling it tonight.
Howard struggled both games. Sami started hot and then faded both games.

Looks like the Storm ran away with the game in the 2nd half. Loyd again. Just missed another 30 point outing. Magbegor and Canada both w/ 10 points off the bench. I guess Quinn is a bit better at this coaching thing when she has her full roster available.

edit--Whitcomb put some window dressing on at the end; she was stuck at 18 for quite while, then suddenly got to 26

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yeah, quite the collapse by the Liberty.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Dallas managed to squander a late lead and lose to the Fever.

Does anyone want the #8 playoff spot?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sloot has gone over 200 assists in a season for the 5th year in a row. I'm sure most here don't wanna hear it, but if Bird ever retires Sloot will catch her in 4 years. She's gained almost 100 on her this season, and that's with Bird only missing one game.
Sloot is 900 assists behind Sue (in 4th place). Let's say that she closes the gap to 700-800 when Sue finally retires. Sloot would need to average 6 apg and play every game for 4 years after Sue retires to get about 800 assists. It's possible, but Sloot would need to stay healthy and still be playing great at age 37-38 or so. It will be interesting to see.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Dallas led 80-72 with 3:30 remaining. Here are their remaining possessions:

Arike makes 1 of 2 FTs.

Thornton is called for a charge.

Thornton misses a 12-footer.

Arike turns the ball over.

Arike misses a 3-pointer.

Arike misses another 3-pointer.

Shot clock violation.

Arike misses a 20-footer.

Maybe some ball movement would have helped. ;)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Dallas led 80-72 with 3:30 remaining. Here are their remaining possessions:

Arike makes 1 of 2 FTs.

Thornton is called for a charge.

Thornton misses a 12-footer.

Arike turns the ball over.

Arike misses a 3-pointer.

Arike misses another 3-pointer.

Shot clock violation.

Arike misses a 20-footer.

Maybe some ball movement would have helped. ;)
Milford up late with the play by play. Impressed!!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sloot is 900 assists behind Sue (in 4th place). Let's say that she closes the gap to 700-800 when Sue finally retires. Sloot would need to average 6 apg and play every game for 4 years after Sue retires to get about 800 assists. It's possible, but Sloot would need to stay healthy and still be playing great at age 37-38 or so. It will be interesting to see.
She could certainly drop off at some point, but she can average 6 apg with her eyes closed right now. Starting in '17 she's put up 8.1, 8.6, 9.1, 10.0 and currently 9.3 Nobody else in WNBA history has racked up assists at a rate like that, not even close. Penicheiro hit 8.0 one season and was in the high 7s several times. Bird's best year was 7.1. Sloot has #2 in the bag, barring a signficant injury.

How many more seasons are you expecting Bird to play?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Did anyone catch the end of the LA-ATL game on Thursday? Tie game, Sparks had the last possession. Slight difference between shot clock and game clock. Tolliver rimmed out a 3. Horn sounded...for the shot clock. Dream players were getting ready for OT. Nneka casually grabbed the O board and hit an uncontested layup w/ about 0.5 left on the clock for the game winner. Talk about an epic fail for situational awareness.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Mercury - Dream Early 12 PM start. ESPN2

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I love Moriah to death, but I find it so hard to root for Dallas because of highly unlikable other people on their team ... and just my general lifelong antipathy toward Dallas. (It's a Houston thing.)

Speaking of Moriah, she's had a couple of her stronger outings in her last two games: 4 of 5 plus 3 assists in just 16 minutes vs. Indiana; in Dallas's win at Chicago, Moriah had 11 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals in 28 minutes.

On the flip side, Arike and Mabrey combined to take half of Dallas's shots and made a third of them. In a losing effort. At home. To the last-place team.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Phoenix cruised past Atlanta. 3 of the Merc had double-doubles in points and rebounds (Taurasi, Griner and Turner), Diggins-Smith led them w/ 25 pts. Her ankle injury the other day must've been minor, she didn't miss any games since then.

Atlanta...what can you say? Another loss. McDonald has had good games back to back.

edit--I guess it was close until the 4th quarter, but the Merc outscored them 24-12 in the final frame.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She could certainly drop off at some point, but she can average 6 apg with her eyes closed right now. Starting in '17 she's put up 8.1, 8.6, 9.1, 10.0 and currently 9.3 Nobody else in WNBA history has racked up assists at a rate like that, not even close. Penicheiro hit 8.0 one season and was in the high 7s several times. Bird's best year was 7.1. Sloot has #2 in the bag, barring a signficant injury.

How many more seasons are you expecting Bird to play?
Good question re Birdie. She could retire after this year. OTOH, she is doing fitness equipment commercials and looks as ripped as ever. I'm sure she enjoys playing with Jewell and Stewie. She knows she is in a great situation. Is she finished with Team USA as a player, or will she play in the World Cup in 1 year and/or the Olympics in 3 years? As you note, Sloot puts up assists at an historic pace. Her longevity may be the deciding factor in term of getting the career record. Sloot has passed Diana in assists. Only Bird, Penicheiro, and Whalen are ahead of her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom