WNBA Thread - Post Olympics | Page 38 | The Boneyard

WNBA Thread - Post Olympics

Reaction Score
let's not forget that the only reason the Chicago Sky are a #6 seed is because of injuries. I strongly believe that if they were healthy all season they are a 2-4 seed. Just like the Mercury being a 5 seed because of injuries. Some bad luck of the draw but again I can't tell you how much I hate the Wnba playoff format. What was wrong with having 1-4 1-4 in each conference in a best of 3?
I believe there was the (perhaps accurate) idea one conference was significantly stronger than the other. I also believe the double bye and single eliminations were to get more people watching and to give more to play for in the regular season.

Honestly I like the format. Maybe we are past the single elimination playoffs, maybe we just need the top 4 teams rather than 8.

The Sky had some injuries for sure but they were at best uneven. It appears they are playing their best basketball now. They could win the title against either Vegas or Phoenix.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
For once the Aces didn't start out in an 8 or 10 point hole. Actually had the lead. Then gave up an 8-0 run to fall behind by 6. Six minutes into the game, Aces can't shoot, Plum sitting on the bench. Laimbeer being a coaching genius again. :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Extremely physical game. Somebody might get killed. Refs swallowing the whistle mostly, except for a random call here and there.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
After a sloppy start, turning into a good game 44-42 Merc at halftime. Griner has been unguardable, Peddy w/ another big game, Diggins-Smith getting going. Plum leading the Aces, after a slow start Gray has really turned it on. Is Wilson ever going to have a better than average game in this series (or even average really)? Now would be a good time.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Is Wilson ever going to have a better than average game in this series (or even average really)? Now would be a good time.
Wilson has matched her scoring from the first half in the first 3 minutes of Q3. Looks like she's answering the bell.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Merc looked in trouble, down 10 most of Q3. Now on a run in Q4. Taurasi had been struggling but found a bit more of her magic w/ back to back 3's. Merc up 2. The genius Laimbeer needs to get Gray back in the game. Why she wasn't in to start Q4 who knows?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well this is everything anyone could ask for in a deciding game w/ a berth in the finals on the line. Big plays back and forth for both teams, going down to the wire. Aces up 2 w/ 2:39 left. Tauarasi w/ 11 in the quarter. Plum has 7 and got LV moving again when they'd been stuck for quite a while.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Aces were up 4, 7-0 run by Merc in about a minute. Phoenix in the drivers seat now.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Gray in a nutshell. Huge 3 to tie it, next possession w/ a chance to take the lead throws it away.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Peddy hit 2 of 3 FTs. 86-84 Merc. Aces will advance the ball to midcourt, 4.8 sec left.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Griner blocked Wilson, game over.

It was a great game. Not the result I wanted, but can't really say much else.

Reaction Score
14 points in the 4th by DT to lead her team to victory - what people have come to expect from the GOAT.

Reaction Score
I will be happy any team to beat Liz Cambage's team.
DT and BG combine for 52 pts of the total 87.
This is the final I was hoping for, Wish Miller, and Laimbeer would go coach in the NBA. They both coach a rough type of game, their style is to hold push, and grab. They know the refs won't call everything.
That was the style of the Bad Boys in Detroit, that isn't basketball. Their style is a wrestling match breaks out in a basketball game.

Reaction Score
Taurasi standing at midcourt barking at the Aces, classy in victory. :rolleyes:
This is why I’ve never liked her. Wilson was her Tokyo teammate (and many of us will recall that Taurasi didn’t exactly play an outstanding Olympics). Not saying that’s a best friendship born, but like, c’mon — would have expected better based on the emotional ending of that game.

She’s had as much success as anyone can have (though I do think Stewart may surpass her once final word is written) and there’s just not a need for it, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Cambage is like 6'9" and let Taurasi block her layup attempt. No excuse not to own that space against an undersized and hobbled opponent.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
This is why I’ve never liked her. Wilson was her Tokyo teammate (and many of us will recall that Taurasi didn’t exactly play an outstanding Olympics). Not saying that’s a best friendship born, but like, c’mon — would have expected better based on the emotional ending of that game.

She’s had as much success as anyone can have (though I do think Stewart may surpass her once final word is written) and there’s just not a need for it, in my opinion.

They aren't out there to make friends. They are out there to win. You think for one minute if LV won Wilson or Cambage wouldn't have been out there at mid court doing the same thing? If you are on the same team as Diana you LOVE her. After what she did in the 4th quarter she could have taken that microphone and soaked in the lion's share of the credit. But no, it's Griner. All about Griner and what she meant to the team. There are plenty of players in the WNBA who would have given that interview and it would have been "me, me , me". Not DT. She is the best player and the best team player.

Reaction Score
They aren't out there to make friends. They are out there to win. You think for one minute if LV won Wilson or Cambage wouldn't have been out there at mid court doing the same thing? If you are on the same team as Diana you LOVE her. After what she did in the 4th quarter she could have taken that microphone and soaked in the lion's share of the credit. But no, it's Griner. All about Griner and what she meant to the team. There are plenty of players in the WNBA who would have given that interview and it would have been "me, me , me". Not DT. She is the best player and the best team player.
I don’t think Wilson would have been at mid-court swearing at the other team, no.

Maybe Cambage would have, but she wasn’t on the Olympic team that I framed my entire post around, so not relevant.

Speaking of not relevant — I didn’t bring up DT’s interview. I think it’s great she extended credit to her teammate. I was referencing the mid-court incident.

My sole point was to say that I’m not a DT fan (while also ceding all due respect to her game and accomplishments) because of those types of reactions. That’s an emotional ending — you’ve got one of the best young players and future faces of the league with a chance to tie the game, and she gets stuffed and breaks down afterwards. All I’m saying is that given their relationship and her GOAT status, I wish DT had responded differently. (See Jones, Jonquel returning to the court after her heavily-favored top-seed team lost just to congratulate the other team).

You don’t have to agree, of course.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The thing that makes Taurasi what she is (The attitude, the edginess, the swagger) is the same thing Jordan had, and Bird. When Jackie Young got in her face at the end of the third quarter she may have decided the game right there. That's how players like Diana get their greatest motivation. Hence Lobo saying "Don't poke the bear" after the game. You can be quite sure that after the showers are taken Taurasi will be a totally different person and I have NO doubt will comfort Wilson. However the end of that game and the outburst was reserved for Jackie Young you can be quite sure. In the heat of the game which was by no means gone yet, she was going to give it back ten fold to whoever she felt was giving it to her.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Where do the Aces go from here? They've been close but not quite 3 years in a row. You definitely don't blow up the team, but maybe some changes need to be made. He's not going anywhere, but I'm not a big fan of the guy sitting on the sideline. He won some Titles, but it's been a long time. I don't think he's pushing the right buttons to get it done anymore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom