WNBA Thread - Post Olympics | Page 39 | The Boneyard

WNBA Thread - Post Olympics

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Need to remember that the Aces are coached by Laimbeer, the original bad boy. The instructions clearly were to be extremely physical with Taurasi especially after she went off in game 2. Bill went as far as to say she's not hurt. Diana gives as good as she gets but to post about what she said at the end of a physical and emotional game smacks of sour grapes. Also, I doubt anything DT said was directed at A'ja Wilson so not sure why that was brought up.

Many great players in the league have had to deal with the disappointment of losing in the playoffs. Lace them up and come back next year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Where do the Aces go from here? They've been close but not quite 3 years in a row. You definitely don't blow up the team, but maybe some changes need to be made. He's not going anywhere, but I'm not a big fan of the guy sitting on the sideline. He won some Titles, but it's been a long time. I don't think he's pushing the right buttons to get it done anymore.
The most talented team in the league by a lot playing a team down 2 players. Coach may be part of it but players need to make plays.

Reaction Score
I think the outburst was started by Taurasi. Throughout the 3rd quarter Young was physical with her. Young was shrugging off all of DTs push offs in the 3rd. DT was the one pushing Young towards the inbounder at the end of the 3rd. I think she was standing her own ground, not poking the bear. DT couldnt physically bully her around the court and was frustrated.

And DT got the reaction she wanted, and she fed off of it and the rest is history. DT's block on Cambage and 3 was really the sequence of the game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The most talented team in the league by a lot playing a team down 2 players. Coach may be part of it but players need to make plays.
That was this season. 3 straight years of being good but not good enough. There's been some fluctuation in the roster, but the coach has remained the same.

As far as players, I didn't want to single anybody out but I can go down the line. Wilson was big in Game 5 but overall was not nearly good enough in this series for a former MVP and multiple time All Star.

Cambage...not even sure what to say. Was trying to play her way back into game shape. Like Wilson needed to have a bigger impact.

Gray was great in the 3 of the games, not so good in the other 2.

Williams also had 3 really good games and 2 not so much.

Plum had one off game. Overall their most consistent player and led them in scoring by a healthy margin in the series. She got abused on defense for a lot of the series, but I really didn't see that happening in this last game. I don't think she was on DT much in the 4th quarter.

Young and Hamby complete no shows. Hamby might've been dinged up. Young has had a significant drop off in production from regular season to post season all 3 years she's been in the league. That is not a good trend. And Young might also have the inglorious distinction of having pissed off Taurasi which led to her having a monster 4th quarter and pretty much decided the game, so there's that.

Stokes plays some good defense and grabs some rebounds, isn't gonna provide you with offense. She simply couldn't guard Griner, but nobody from Las Vegas could.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I saw it, and I still have no idea how it happened. And then Cambage missed the putback attempt from point blank range. Overall she had a good game, but those 2 missed bunnies in the last minute were a killer.
Key sequence in the game. Cambage has to make a basket there. Players need to make plays in key moments.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That was this season. 3 straight years of being good but not good enough. There's been some fluctuation in the roster, but the coach has remained the same.

As far as players, I didn't want to single anybody out but I can go down the line. Wilson was big in Game 5 but overall was not nearly good enough in this series for a former MVP and multiple time All Star.

Cambage...not even sure what to say. Was trying to play her way back into game shape. Like Wilson needed to have a bigger impact.

Gray was great in the 3 of the games, not so good in the other 2.

Williams also had 3 really good games and 2 not so much.

Plum had one off game. Overall their most consistent player and led them in scoring by a healthy margin in the series. She got abused on defense for a lot of the series, but I really didn't see that happening in this last game. I don't think she was on DT much in the 4th quarter.

Young and Hamby complete no shows. Hamby might've been dinged up. Young has had a significant drop off in production from regular season to post season all 3 years she's been in the league. That is not a good trend. And Young might also have the inglorious distinction of having pissed off Taurasi which led to her having a monster 4th quarter and pretty much decided the game, so there's that.

Stokes plays some good defense and grabs some rebounds, isn't gonna provide you with offense. She simply couldn't guard Griner, but nobody from Las Vegas could.
Some players are ready for Game 5 and others not so much. Hardly noticed that Wiliams was even on the court. Young struggled offensively and took some questionable shots.

Plum is a keeper. Would love to see her on the Storm.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I didn't get to see this game, but I'm shocked Phoenix was able to win without Kia Nurse. But it's clearly a mistake to ever underestimate the clutch-ness of Taurasi, especially in an elimination game, and clearly Griner had a huge performance as well.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Wilson would have been at mid-court swearing at the other team, no.

Maybe Cambage would have
Ditto on Wilson, that's not her style. Cambage on the other hand I could see doing this.

I like DT and it's clear she's hobbled but she and Griner were unstoppable tonight. When Griner shows up she's almost automatic.

DT is the Larry Bird of women's basketball. She's loud, a trash talker, not someone you want on the other team but you want her on yours. Father Time is catching up with her and her injuries but last night she was clutch when she had to be. Her block on Cambage was really the play that won the game.

It should be an entertaining finals.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Watched the entire second half, which was riveting. Wanted to see what thoughts popped up after a night of sleep before posting.
  • End of third quarter came at a bad time for Aces. That -- along withe the Young/DT flareup -- seemed to take the air out of the Aces. As pointed out by many, the players missed some key follow-ups. Got a lot of second chance opportunities.
  • Jackie Young, in all my years of watching her, doesn't get into these types of altercations. I'm not saying the play between them wasn't physical or that DT was looking for a mark, but DT got under Young's skin in a major way and raised her game in a major way. Her line-drive three and block(s?) on Cambage were major.
  • Peddy was gassed by the 4th quarter, Diggins-Smith was ok (at best) on offense and Bri Turner was not a threat, so Griner and DT were the main (almost only) offensive threats. It was enough.
  • That said, Turner was a force in the things she normally does: 11 rebounds, 4 steals and 3 blocked shots. Plus, she hit two pressured lay-ups no problem. Every point counts.
  • Did anyone on the Phoenix Bench sit down all night? Cunningham and Smith were full-throated all game.
  • Finals start....Sunday? Sky are set up to steal a game right from the get go. Have to hope Cunningham can give some minutes and get one streak of three's next series.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watched the entire second half, which was riveting. Wanted to see what thoughts popped up after a night of sleep before posting.
  • End of third quarter came at a bad time for Aces. That -- along withe the Young/DT flareup -- seemed to take the air out of the Aces. As pointed out by many, the players missed some key follow-ups. Got a lot of second chance opportunities.
  • Jackie Young, in all my years of watching her, doesn't get into these types of altercations. I'm not saying DT was looking for a mark, but she got under Young's skin in a major way.
  • Peddy was gassed by the 4th quarter, Diggins-Smith was ok (at best) on offense and Bri Turner was not a threat, so Griner and DT were the main (almost only) offensive threats. It was enough.
  • That said, Turner was a force in the things she normally does: 11 rebounds, 4 steals and 3 blocked shots. Plus, she hit two pressured lay-ups no problem. Every point counts.
  • Did anyone on the Phoenix Bench sit down all night? Cunningham and Smith were full-throated all game.
  • Finals start....Sunday? Sky are set up to steal a game right from the get go. Have to hope Cunningham can give some minutes and get one streak of three's next series.
I dunno man. As a rule I have no interest in the vegas team so don't see many of their games. I don't know if Young usually plays defense by constantly bumping into her assignment regardless of whether they have the ball or not but if you go back and watch for only that you'll see how things got started. I can hear her coach telling her to do it as easy as I can remember him doing the same thing when he played. If a few quick fouls had been called on the extra contact the whole thing might have been avoided. When DT crowed about beating him in the interview I knew what she was talking about.

Reaction Score
Oh just wow. I've been waiting for this to happen with DT. She does it again and stop with the poor Young stuff. She was absolutely outplayed and out maneuvered and she asked for it. This is a player who has gotten away with jumping into people all year long and getting garbage fouls when she was the one causing contact, tries the same stuff with the GOAT and that's what happens. The whole Vegas team showed who they are, no chemistry all for themselves and a bunch of smack talking when they are spilling stuff elsewhere. Hoping their stuff will finally be spilled because ALL the W knows and it aint pretty. The Tea needs to be spilled LOL just ask Nigeria, and yet Courtney Williams gets all the headlines SMH.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I dunno man. As a rule I have no interest in the vegas team so don't see many of their games. I don't know if Young usually plays defense by constantly bumping into her assignment regardless of whether they have the ball or not but if you go back and watch for only that you'll see how things got started. I can hear her coach telling her to do it as easy as I can remember him doing the same thing when he played. If a few quick fouls had been called on the extra contact the whole thing might have been avoided. When DT crowed about beating him in the interview I knew what she was talking about.
Fair points. I've tweaked initial post to include that play was physical. Was it initiated by Laimbeer instructions (for this game)? Maybe. I can say that Young, while a physical player, is generarlly not known for that kind of defense game-in and game-out, whether at ND, with the Aces or on the U.S. 3 vs. 3 team. She's a great athlete and can beat people to the spot. That said, D is known for some physical tricks of the trade as well: she may be the best at knowing how to use her offhand to create space on drives. Not a criticism, just a common observation.

And, lastly, the refs were all over the place on calls. They let some plays go (Shay Peddy virtually got body slammed with no call) while other calls were ticky tack (Kelsey Plum stuck her butt out after coming down from a jumper to draw a call and Bri Turner was called for a reach-out touch after Wilson had passed the ball 20 ft. from the basket.)

My point is that the in-your face/on your body stuff led to a turnaround on many fronts. And D -- as she has so many times -- ultimately used it to her team's and her advantage. As the announcers said, "don't stick the bear." Well done.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
One thing the Sun and Aces have in common is that, after earning the double bye, they went into the best-of-five series trying to incorporate major players after long absences: the Sun, with Alyssa Thomas; and, the Aces with Liz Cambage.

Did it throw off chemistry? Or flow? Or was that over-rated or just coincidental to Jonquel Jones not really coming alive until the last game?

I woudl argue that Cambage's insertion does create some spacing issues for the rest of Aces, most notably Jackie Young and Dearica Hamby, who like to operate in the paint area themselves. Both were non-factors and, as such, almost negative forces.

Also found the story about how Chelsea Gray took A'jia Wilson out to dinner (while the rest of the team was out) and said we've got to get this team going. Hmmm. Maybe true...are they the straws that mix the drink? And, yes, they had good games, but Williams and Young were non-factors. Plum marches to her own set of orders.

Will Angel come back next year? If so, even more of the same...Young might want to consider getting some floor time somewhere else. And Plum looks like she can make a team her own at this juncture.

Reaction Score
So can Diana finally win a title without having her wife as a teammate?

Diana has played with some good players over the years but who has been her most important teammate?

1633786516227.png

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The bumping started in the backcourt after made baskets. It was the plan for sure.

When former Mercury coach Carrie Graf was coaching the Opals (WC and Olympics) she said one of the keys to beating the US was being very physical with Diana with goal of getting under her skin and frustrating her. That strategy worked last night until the 4th Q.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Revealing comments from Laimbeer:

Aces coach Bill Laimbeer credited the mental toughness of Taurasi and Griner for getting the Mercury over the top.

"They willed that unto their team," Laimbeer said. "They hung in there, they made the big plays. We need to acquire that trait. Whether it is we grow up or whether we acquire something, but it's something that this team has consistently lacked throughout the course of the year -- a leadership of steeliness. Someone that sits there and says, 'No, this is how we do it. This is what's going to happen.' And, they have it; we don't.

"Unfortunately, down the stretch we needed mental toughness. It didn't happen. We lost. And that's the way it goes."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Revealing comments from Laimbeer:

Aces coach Bill Laimbeer credited the mental toughness of Taurasi and Griner for getting the Mercury over the top.

"They willed that unto their team," Laimbeer said. "They hung in there, they made the big plays. We need to acquire that trait. Whether it is we grow up or whether we acquire something, but it's something that this team has consistently lacked throughout the course of the year -- a leadership of steeliness. Someone that sits there and says, 'No, this is how we do it. This is what's going to happen.' And, they have it; we don't.

"Unfortunately, down the stretch we needed mental toughness. It didn't happen. We lost. And that's the way it goes."

I Didnt Do It Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reaction Score
Fair points. I've tweaked initial post to include that play was physical. Was it initiated by Laimbeer instructions (for this game)? Maybe. I can say that Young, while a physical player, is generarlly not known for that kind of defense game-in and game-out, whether at ND, with the Aces or on the U.S. 3 vs. 3 team. She's a great athlete and can beat people to the spot. That said, D is known for some physical tricks of the trade as well: she may be the best at knowing how to use her offhand to create space on drives. Not a criticism, just a common observation.

And, lastly, the refs were all over the place on calls. They let some plays go (Shay Peddy virtually got body slammed with no call) while other calls were ticky tack (Kelsey Plum stuck her butt out after coming down from a jumper to draw a call and Bri Turner was called for a reach-out touch after Wilson had passed the ball 20 ft. from the basket.)

My point is that the in-your face/on your body stuff led to a turnaround on many fronts. And D -- as she has so many times -- ultimately used it to her team's and her advantage. As the announcers said, "don't stick the bear." Well done.
I have to disagree with you here.

I really admire Jackie Young’s play but her stock and trade is out-physicaling (if there is such a word) other players. You say she beats people to the spot; I say she’s allowed stuff in the league which could be called on her regularly.

But for my part, I hope that Jackie finds a better team for herself, one where team play is emphasized more.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Taurasi standing at midcourt barking at the Aces, classy in victory. :rolleyes:
I rewatched the second half, and this post gives a hugely exaggerated impression of what she did.

She was somewhere near midcourt and, yes, her mouth was moving — briefly. But she wasn't in anyone's face, she wasn't gesturing, and it's not even clear whether she was looking at any of the Aces players at the time. From what we could see on camera, she could've just as easily been looking into the crowd. And even if she was looking at someone, there's no way they or anyone else could hear what she was saying.

As others have noted, the instructions from Laimbeer, clearly, were to bump her early and often. Two seconds of indistinct jawing at the buzzer is, under the circumstances, a whole lot of nothing. Spare me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom