WNBA Rookie of the year | Page 8 | The Boneyard

WNBA Rookie of the year

WNBA Rookie of the Year

• Total voters

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I think what will differentiate the race, if Collier wins, is that she has played well ALL SEASON, while Arike and McCowan have come on really strong post All Star Break (where as you can see above, Collier has also elevated her game).

If Arike wins, I think it will be because she has truly been spectacular post All Star Break, scoring at an unbelievable level with multiple 30pts games--unheard of for a rookie.

I don't think McCowan is as much in the picture because of her lack of playing time early on, but averaging nearly a double double as a rookie while only playing half the game should give everyone chills going into next year.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Who regrets not taking Collier or Ogonbale earlier? Of top teams who drafted before Ogonbawe and Collier were picked, who regrets passing on them? Liberty? Aces? Sky?

Vegas took Jackie Young, who has not been able to shoot this year but has actually done a pretty good job running the team from the point, and she has so many all around skills I feel like she'll be fine long term. That being said, there are many (including CamrnCrazy) who thought Collier would have been perfect here, though that was before they landed Cambage.

NY took Durr, who was actually having a really good rookie campaign until she got injured. A backcourt of Nurse/Durr is very promising.

Chicago: Enough has been said on other threads about the choice of KLS. I don't think Arike would have been a great fit here, though I think Collier would have definitely been a great choice (that being said, I doubt she would have been given the opportunity to start like she has in MN, as Dolson/Lavender/Deshields are pretty solid front court).

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Indiana looks like they made the right pick for them with McCowen’s development. It was her or Kalani Brown #7, if they had to have a post. Well done.

McCowan has made conistent improvement once she received steady minutes. Nice linear graph on all fronts! Hopefully, the next coaching regime will continue to guide/coax improvement from her: she'll be a force for many years if good things play out.

As for Ms. Brown, I'm not ready to put up the white flag there by any means. She's playing behind some pretty talented bigs in LA and Coach Derek Fisher -- in his first year in the WNBA -- is going with the proven talent down the stretch, which has resulted in that #3 seed. That said, when LA was down to two or three bench players, he gave time to Brown in stretches (same for Marina Mabrey, the other rookie). I thought the two rookies both did fine in the final quarter yestersay against the Lynx Been a long stretch of hoops for all first-year players: let's see how they do in the second year.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
McCowan has made conistent improvement once she received steady minutes. Nice linear graph on all fronts! Hopefully, the next coaching regime will continue to guide/coax improvement from her: she'll be a force for many years if good things play out.

As for Ms. Brown, I'm not ready to put up the white flag there by any means. She's playing behind some pretty talented bigs in LA and Coach Derek Fisher -- in his first year in the WNBA -- is going with the proven talent down the stretch, which has resulted in that #3 seed. That said, when LA was down to two or three bench players, he gave time to Brown in stretches (same for Marina Mabrey, the other rookie). I thought the two rookies both did fine in the final quarter yestersay against the Lynx Been a long stretch of hoops for all first-year players: let's see how they do in the second year.

Brown will be very good IMO. She just went to a team that has 4 other frontcourt players, 3 of whom were former #1 picks. LA didnt need her but she was by far the best option at #6 IMO.

If she gets traded or ends up with a different team she could become a very good center in this league.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Brown will be very good IMO. She just went to a team that has 4 other frontcourt players, 3 of whom were former #1 picks. LA didnt need her but she was by far the best option at #6 IMO.

If she gets traded or ends up with a different team she could become a very good center in this league.
Brown did not go at #6; or did you mean something else?

Reaction Score
I really wish Shepard didn't get injured. She started to find her 1-2 punch with Collier. Plus her passing into Fowles could be deadly too.

I'm interested to see how Smith does for Phoenix. Her injury and more for the Mercury opened things up for Turner. I thought Turner was going to be buried on the bench based off of the first half of the season. But she found her roll at the 4 position, which changed because she originally was playing the 5 and not with Griner. Her standout was defensively against Las Vegas where she had 6 blocks and some at crucial moments in the game.

I feel for KLS. I thought that the Sky might be a good team for her because of Sloot, Gabby, and Deshields ability to penetrate and either pass or initiate player rotations. Injuries seem to be common with her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I love Pheesa. Down the road, she could be an MVP. I think McCowan has similar potential. On most nights, she's the biggest and strongest player on the floor. It will be interesting to watch Asia, Jackie, et al. over time. I can see Jackie being on a championship team. Arike will be an All-Star, depending on how she meshes with Sky.

Reaction Score
AP voting for Rookie of the Year had Pheesa edging AO 8 to 6 in voting. Shows how close the race was. This is an outstanding article comparing the two athletes concluding the Pheesa in the writer's opinion should have won.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Minnesota Lynx forward Napheesa Collier is the 2019 WNBA Rookie of the Year. She is the first Minnesota player to earn the honor since Maya Moore in 2011. She received 29 votes from a national panel of 43 sportswriters and broadcasters. Dallas Wings guard Arike Ogunbowale received the other 14 votes."

Just putting the final touches on this thread aka I told you so:
@bballnut90 those ROY votes for McCowan never materialized-you would think even a "poor man" Sylvia Fowles would get at least 1 ROY vote.
@Carnac can't believe you bought into the McCowan Kool aid.
@azfan still not too late to recast your vote.
All the Mississippi State Fan and supporters of McCowan hoping for improved season next year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
"Minnesota Lynx forward Napheesa Collier is the 2019 WNBA Rookie of the Year. She is the first Minnesota player to earn the honor since Maya Moore in 2011. She received 29 votes from a national panel of 43 sportswriters and broadcasters. Dallas Wings guard Arike Ogunbowale received the other 14 votes."

Just putting the final touches on this thread aka I told you so:
@bballnut90 those ROY votes for McCowan never materialized-you would think even a "poor man" Sylvia Fowles would get at least 1 ROY vote.
@Carnac can't believe you bought into the McCowan Kool aid.
@azfan still not too late to recast your vote.
All the Mississippi State Fan and supporters of McCowan hoping for improved season next year.

You know who also didn't get 1 ROY vote? Sylvia Fowles.

I think it's mind boggling how you fail to give McCowan any credit whatsoever. She had an outstanding rookie season and finished on a great note even if 2 other rookies had better seasons. Her rookies stats are actually favorable to Fowles and when she finally got some playing time, she was dominant. Not sure what she'll have to prove in order for you to acknowledge how good of a player she is.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
You know who also didn't get 1 ROY vote? Sylvia Fowles.

I think it's mind boggling how you fail to give McCowan any credit whatsoever. She had an outstanding rookie season and finished on a great note even if 2 other rookies had better seasons. Her rookies stats are actually favorable to Fowles and when she finally got some playing time, she was dominant. Not sure what she'll have to prove in order for you to acknowledge how good of a player she is.

IMO, the only person to blame for TM’s lack of ROY votes is Pokey Chatman.

Unlike AO and NC, TM wasn’t getting enough minutes early on to really establish a rhythm and get the necessary stats to be considered.

If she played (and was given ample opportunity) the first 2/3 of the season the way she played the last 1/3, I think TM would have won.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
IMO, the only person to blame for TM’s lack of ROY votes is Pokey Chatman.

Unlike AO and NC, TM wasn’t getting enough minutes early on to really establish a rhythm and get the necessary stats to be considered.

If she played (and was given ample opportunity) the first 2/3 of the season the way she played the last 1/3, I think TM would have won.

If you average her numbers over 30mpg (still below what AO/NC averaged), she would've likely averaged 13.6 ppg/12.2 rpg/1.8 blocks. Probably not a lock to win but she would've been strongly in the mix.

And congrats to Collier for winning. Well deserved.

After losing out on this award, I realized that Arike Ogunbowale was also overlooked for ACC POY the past 2 seasons in favor of Durr (who Arike's had better numbers than both seasons) and now she lost out on ROY this time despite having a strong case. I hope this puts any conspiracy theories surrounding the media and Arike Ogunbowale to rest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom