WNBA News | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA News

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Off the court drama aside, I think Williams could be the missing piece for Connecticut to win a title. They had a championship caliber team in 2019 when she was there, just barely lost in game 5 of the finals. The other important pieces are still there, plus both Jones's are markedly better.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Which teammate will she get in a fight with in Connecticut?
I'm really conflicted about this. I've always loved watching Courtney play. She has speed, grace, and pogo sticks for legs. I've never noticed a really negative on-court demeanor.

But I'm mildly taken aback that Connecticut is taking another chance with her after her incident with Alex Bentley in CT and last year's antics with the Dream. I don't know of any connection between her and Curt Miller.

Reaction Score
Dying Laughing Lol GIF by Desus & Mero
Late to the party but BRAVO on this meme!

Reaction Score
I'm really conflicted about this. I've always loved watching Courtney play. She has speed, grace, and pogo sticks for legs. I've never noticed a really negative on-court demeanor.

But I'm mildly taken aback that Connecticut is taking another chance with her after her incident with Alex Bentley in CT and last year's antics with the Dream. I don't know of any connection between her and Curt Miller.
Wasn't Miller the coach of the Sun at the time though? If memory is correct she played an important role in their run to the WNBA finals that year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

She's good, but in my book she's definitely in the "not worth the trouble" category.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wasn't Miller the coach of the Sun at the time though? If memory is correct she played an important role in their run to the WNBA finals that year.
You're absolutely right, my faulty memory. The Sun shipped Bentley out soon after the incident, and obviously Miller knows more about the situation than I do.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I like this move for Seattle. January is a tough, physical defender on the perimeter which was lacking on last year's team. Does this mean Canada will be wearing a new uniform next season?

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I like this move for Seattle. January is a tough, physical defender on the perimeter which was lacking on last year's team. Does this mean Canada will be wearing a new uniform next season?

They seem to have a thing for acquiring veterans near the end of their career. If they stick to their usual, they'll keep her for a year or two after her days of being able to be effective on the basketball court are over.

Yeah, that was lacking because they let their 2 best perimeter defenders walk away for nothing in Clark and Whitcomb.

Reaction Score
Hasn't been discussed as much yet, but this could be a really interesting year for early entrants. There aren't too many heralded eligible prospects in the junior class with Lee returning to school, but you have to think the strength of next year's class is going to raise some eyebrows if you're debating between staying and going.

Boston, H. Jones, D. Miller, Owusu, R. Jackson, Amihere, Horston, Blackwell, Kitley, Holmes. Add in Lee since she's staying. There are a ton of other quality players in this 2023 class, too. Might not project as stars, but if I am a GM with two or three picks in this draft, my team is going to get better.

Will be worth watching as season's end nears.

Reaction Score
Hasn't been discussed as much yet, but this could be a really interesting year for early entrants. There aren't too many heralded eligible prospects in the junior class with Lee returning to school, but you have to think the strength of next year's class is going to raise some eyebrows if you're debating between staying and going.

Boston, H. Jones, D. Miller, Owusu, R. Jackson, Amihere, Horston, Blackwell, Kitley, Holmes. Add in Lee since she's staying. There are a ton of other quality players in this 2023 class, too. Might not project as stars, but if I am a GM with two or three picks in this draft, my team is going to get better.

Will be worth watching as season's end nears.
Are they all of age to enter the draft

Reaction Score
Are they all of age to enter the draft
I don't think so. The names I listed are part of next year's class. I was just saying that if I were eligible this year, I'd be looking at that list and thinking it might be better to strike while the iron is hot.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Meeseman reportedly signs with Chicago Sky

Wow that's an upgrade from Dolson/Deshields. Huge pickup for the Sky. Question is will Sloot/Quigley stay or are they venturing elsewhere? A trio of Parker, Meesseman and Copper is very good. Keep Sloot/Quigley and they're a title threat again.

Reaction Score
Elizabeth Williams will sign with the Mystics thus ending Tina Charles tenure with the Mystics. Mystics could be a great defensive team with 4 former All Defensive players on the roster. Atkins, Cloud, Clark and Williams.

Reaction Score
Elizabeth Williams will sign with the Mystics thus ending Tina Charles tenure with the Mystics. Mystics could be a great defensive team with 4 former All Defensive players on the roster. Atkins, Cloud, Clark and Williams.
Why would you say that? Tina Charles kept them afloat last year and she is a PF not C.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Does anyone know if EDD is planning to play this season? With those 4 plus Hines-Allen, Washington could be a pretty solid team this season.

Reaction Score
Sophie Cunningham back to Phoenix. Because Phoenix declined her option and she is a FA they’ll now have to pay her even more. It’s been 6 months and I still call that decision the worst front office decision last year. And it’s even worse considering how bad the cap situation in Phoenix is. Curious to see how much they have to pay her now.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I believe from reading this, tweet or instagram post by Stewie, she is staying in Seattle.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

I guess that's good news, but it makes me think she's returning for one last hurrah with Bird, then will sign with someone else after the '22 season. Could be looking at 4 of the 5 starters from the 2 recent Championship teams no longer being with the Storm for '23. Going into rebuilding mode right after getting their shiny new building, great timing.

Reaction Score
I guess that's good news, but it makes me think she's returning for one last hurrah with Bird, then will sign with someone else after the '22 season. Could be looking at 4 of the 5 starters from the 2 recent Championship teams no longer being with the Storm for '23. Going into rebuilding mode right after getting their shiny new building, great timing.
Yep! 2023 don't be shocked to see her with the Liberty. The Storm will be in serious rebuild mode.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom