WNBA News | Page 4 | The Boneyard

WNBA News

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Clark could play multiple positions, and wasn't always a 50% three point shooter.
For some reason I thought she was a poor 3 point shooter when she entered the league, but that isn't really true. 45% and 39% her first and second season. Oddly dipped to 25% her third year, but other than that 35% or better every year but one (33%). Just a shade under 40% for her career. Williams might improve, but I think it's safe to say she'll never be as good behind the arc as Clark.

Reaction Score
For some reason I thought she was a poor 3 point shooter when she entered the league, but that isn't really true. 45% and 39% her first and second season. Oddly dipped to 25% her third year, but other than that 35% or better every year but one (33%). Just a shade under 40% for her career. Williams might improve, but I think it's safe to say she'll never be as good behind the arc as Clark.
But she will give Seattle what the lost in Clark, defense at multiple positions, and the ability to dive and score inside.
Also her ability to pass will work well in Seattle's offense.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
But she will give Seattle what the lost in Clark, defense at multiple positions, and the ability to dive and score inside.
Also her ability to pass will work well in Seattle's offense.
Yes, she may be able to provide several of the things Clark did, which they sorely missed. Chicago tried to turn her into their backup PG, which I don't think was really her best position.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
So, if KLS is now in LA and Gabby is not really a three-point shooter, does Seattle feel ok with Stewie, Jewell and Sue being the three-point threats? Or, do they get Stephanie Talbot back?
BTW, she's second in the WNBL in Australia this season from three, shooting 44 percent, to go along with her league-leading 6.1 assists per game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So, if KLS is now in LA and Gabby is not really a three-point shooter, does Seattle feel ok with Stewie, Jewell and Sue being the three-point threats? Or, do they get Stephanie Talbot back?
BTW, she's second in the WNBL in Australia this season from three, shooting 44 percent, to go along with her league-leading 6.1 assists per game.
January's 3 point shooting compares favorably to KLS. I would think they'll bring back at least one of Talbot or Prince, who can both hit the 3.

I think KLS' reputation from college precedes her, in the WNBA she's yet to show she's a prolific 3 point shooter. She's improved each year so far, but thru 3 seasons has 53 total made at a .325 clip. For comparison Taurasi has made more than 100 in a season more than once.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Riquana Williams and Kiah Stokes both resigned w/ Las Vegas.

There was an interview posted a while ago w/ Plum, IIRC she was talking about coming off the bench all year being a learning experience but said"that's not going to happen again." So...something might have to give. Will Williams be the 6th woman? I can't see them going small w/ Gray, Williams and Plum all starting. Stay tuned. Of course different coach now. Seems like Bill never could decide how he wanted to use Plum the whole time he was the HC.

Reaction Score

There was an interview posted a while ago w/ Plum, IIRC she was talking about coming off the bench all year being a learning experience but said"that's not going to happen again." So...something might have to give. Will Williams be the 6th woman? I can't see them going small w/ Gray, Williams and Plum all starting. Stay tuned. Of course different coach now. Seems like Bill never could decide how he wanted to use Plum the whole time he was the HC.
A'ja will be better without Cambage on the team. She will have more room to operate on the paint.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
A'ja will be better without Cambage on the team. She will have more room to operate on the paint.
Yeah I never really thought that combo worked. Do they go w/ Stokes as a token starter, or do they let Hamby start?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yeah I never really thought that combo worked. Do they go w/ Stokes as a token starter, or do they let Hamby start?
Now that Laimbeer is gone hopefully they get over the obsession with starting a traditional center alongside Wilson.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I kind of like Plum off the bench. She can spot either Williams/Gray and really flourished in that role last year after 3 years of less consistency. I'd start Gray, Williams, Young, Hamby and Wilson. Stokes and Plum off the bench, but have Plum play starter minutes if she's playing at a high level. Keep Slocum since she's cheap and serviceable as a backup. Get rid of Liz which I think will be a net positive. I've never understood why Park has made a roster the last few years. Sign or draft another young players to fill out the roster. They should absolutely be in the title mix with that crop of players assuming A'ja plays like she did in 2020 without Liz, Plum plays like she did a year ago and Young continues to improve.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Young continues to improve
Would be nice if she showed up for the playoffs. She has a bad habit of disappearing once the regular season concludes. All 3 years her stats decrease in the post season, and this last year they went down dramatically.

Reaction Score
Hamby fits better in the offense that Becky wants to run.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Phoenix going all-in, recognizing that the inability to score from the PF position will not win a championship.

Tina and Griner know how to play together from USA Basketball.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
From Phoenix Press Release:

Mercury General Manager Jim Pitman: “Tina is an elite talent in our league and adding a player of her caliber is another example of our commitment to our fans and players to pursue a championship every year. Tina has made it clear that she wants to win and wants to do so in Phoenix. For us, this move is about adding absolute top-end talent into our frontcourt which already features what we consider the most dominant player in the game in BG and the league’s best defender in Brianna Turner. We expect to be able to play all three fewer minutes which should benefit us in the playoffs.”

With Charles, Phoenix now has:

– The league’s top two scorers from 2021 joining the top scoring backcourt duo in the league – Charles (23.4, 1st), Griner (20.5, 2nd), Diggins-Smith (17.7, 9th), Taurasi (15.2, 16th)

– Three of the league’s top seven rebounders from 2021 – Charles (9.6, T-3rd), Griner (9.5, 6th), Turner (9.4, 7th), and also three of the top six offensive rebounders

One of the league’s best scorers around the basket and in the midrange, Charles had the best season of her career from deep in 2021, making a career-high 50 three-pointers on career-best 36.5 percent shooting. The Mercury (Diggins-Smith, Nurse) joined Seattle (Loyd, Bird) and Dallas (Ogunbowale, Mabrey) as the only teams in the league with two players who made 50 or more threes a season ago, and with the addition of Charles, Phoenix now features three such players.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
From Phoenix Press Release:

Mercury General Manager Jim Pitman: “Tina is an elite talent in our league and adding a player of her caliber is another example of our commitment to our fans and players to pursue a championship every year. Tina has made it clear that she wants to win and wants to do so in Phoenix. For us, this move is about adding absolute top-end talent into our frontcourt which already features what we consider the most dominant player in the game in BG and the league’s best defender in Brianna Turner. We expect to be able to play all three fewer minutes which should benefit us in the playoffs.”

With Charles, Phoenix now has:

– The league’s top two scorers from 2021 joining the top scoring backcourt duo in the league – Charles (23.4, 1st), Griner (20.5, 2nd), Diggins-Smith (17.7, 9th), Taurasi (15.2, 16th)

– Three of the league’s top seven rebounders from 2021 – Charles (9.6, T-3rd), Griner (9.5, 6th), Turner (9.4, 7th), and also three of the top six offensive rebounders

One of the league’s best scorers around the basket and in the midrange, Charles had the best season of her career from deep in 2021, making a career-high 50 three-pointers on career-best 36.5 percent shooting. The Mercury (Diggins-Smith, Nurse) joined Seattle (Loyd, Bird) and Dallas (Ogunbowale, Mabrey) as the only teams in the league with two players who made 50 or more threes a season ago, and with the addition of Charles, Phoenix now features three such players.

Phoenix is going to be absolutely stacked this year. 4 Olympians plus DeShields (who was All-WNBA a couple of seasons ago), plus one of the league's best defenders in Brianna Turner. They should be the title favorite, but getting that much talent to gel is always a question mark. Worth noting:

-Charles will be playing a very different role, as she wont be the go to player for the first time in over a decade. Charles can hit from the perimeter but often falls in love with midrange/perimeter shots when she is more effective banging inside. At Phoenix I'm guessing she'll be on the high post more, so shot selection is something to keep an eye on for her.

-DeShields hasn't been the same player she was since 2019...can she get back to her old form? She looked lost during the playoffs and was very streaky last season. The talent is there.

-DT is 40 year this and showed signs of decline last year. She was much streakier than normal and shot only 36.6% from the floor. She has the smarts and savviness but how well she physically holds up is a question.

-Griner had probably the best season of her career last year. She just looked more focused and like she was on a mission compared to any other year. Can she bring that same mentality this season and carry it through the playoffs?

-How well does the team take to Vanessa Nygaard and can she get players to buy in? She has a lot of star power to manage.

I think they'll be the top team to watch this year. Them, Aces, Sun and Storm look like early title favorites.

Reaction Score
Phoenix is going to be absolutely stacked this year. 4 Olympians plus DeShields (who was All-WNBA a couple of seasons ago), plus one of the league's best defenders in Brianna Turner. They should be the title favorite, but getting that much talent to gel is always a question mark. Worth noting:

-Charles will be playing a very different role, as she wont be the go to player for the first time in over a decade. Charles can hit from the perimeter but often falls in love with midrange/perimeter shots when she is more effective banging inside. At Phoenix I'm guessing she'll be on the high post more, so shot selection is something to keep an eye on for her.

-DeShields hasn't been the same player she was since 2019...can she get back to her old form? She looked lost during the playoffs and was very streaky last season. The talent is there.

-DT is 40 year this and showed signs of decline last year. She was much streakier than normal and shot only 36.6% from the floor. She has the smarts and savviness but how well she physically holds up is a question.

-Griner had probably the best season of her career last year. She just looked more focused and like she was on a mission compared to any other year. Can she bring that same mentality this season and carry it through the playoffs?

-How well does the team take to Vanessa Nygaard and can she get players to buy in? She has a lot of star power to manage.

I think they'll be the top team to watch this year. Them, Aces, Sun and Storm look like early title favorites.
If Griner, Turner, and Charles play together, you are going to have defensive problems. The Sun will habe a problem with their all big lineup of Jones, Thomas, and Breland.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Obviously not the big news of the day, but Becca Allen staying w/ NY and Stephanie Talbot staying w/ Seattle. Indiana acquired a couple free agents who probably won't help them even slightly, can't even remember who.

Kinda looks like Phoenix and Seattle are in a now or never battle for this coming season.

Reaction Score
Phoenix going all-in, recognizing that the inability to score from the PF position will not win a championship.

Tina and Griner know how to play together from USA Basketball.
I think this works great for Tina so she can play the PF which suits her best as a pro. Griner, Charles, and DT in the front court is impressive.

Reaction Score
I think this works great for Tina so she can play the PF which suits her best as a pro. Griner, Charles, and DT in the front court is impressive.
Thought DT was a guard

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom