WNBA News | Page 6 | The Boneyard

WNBA News

Reaction Score
Well, the "tanking" comment does make me note that Atlanta will have two first-round draft choices in 2023 when Aliyah Boston, Haley Jones and others are available to the league. So, there might be some method to the madness.

A lot of this depens, of course, on how LA does. Well, they certainly have a lot of posts. Now, will Chennedy pass them the rock? Will KLS get a chance to give them the perimeter shooting they need?
Stay tuned.
Looks like Canada might be signing with the Sparks.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. "Show me" will be true of a lot of teams in the league. Phoenix was not going to win a championship without changes to their roster. They decided to make those changes and go for it. I'm not sure why that seems to be a problem for some. What am I missing?

Diana doesn't have to score if it's not necessary for her to score. That's been true of her since her college days and more so at this stage of her career. She doesn't care about scoring; she cares about winning.

The playoffs last year showed that Phoenix could not get consistent scoring from the PF position. Neither Turner nor Vaughn could hit a wide open jump shot 10 feet from the basket. Teams are not going to win a WNBA championship with little offense from the PF position. That's just a fact. Tina and Griner have shared the court together playing for USA Basketball and did quite well. It'll be up to the new Phoenix coach to make sure they run an offense that allows them to play off each other.

DD is a big question mark.
Big difference between Phoenix and Chicago was the play of Azura Stevens compared to Brianna Turner. Both showed growth going into the series but Stevens continued her terrific play offensively and on the glass while Turner dropped off

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Big difference between Phoenix and Chicago was the play of Azura Stevens compared to Brianna Turner. Both showed growth going into the series but Stevens continued her terrific play offensively and on the glass while Turner dropped off
Hey there:
I went to the WNBA web site to see if the playoff statistics and game logs match up with your over-riding premise. Based on that:
  • In terms of rebounding, Stevens peformed solidly throughout the playoffs, averaging 6.9 RPG in 10 games. Turner, for anyone that played more than one game, led all players with a 9.9 RPG average (11 games). Scoring wise, Azura averaged 9.8 PPG and Bri 8.5 ppg.
  • In the finals, both had basically the same rebounding statistics compared to the overall playoffs: Turner at 9.25 RPG and Stevens at 6.5 RPG. Azura's scoring went down to 8.25 PPG while Turner's fell to 5.00, pulled down by laying a goose egg in one of the games.

Could Phoenix have benefitted from those 3.5 ppg? Sure, but Turner didn't let if affect her rebounding, which stayed consistent.

The addition of Tina Charles will give Phoenx three of the top rebounders in the league, not to mention the top scorer (Charles). Given TC's ability to stretch the floor, it might even make Turner more of an offensive rebounding threat. It will be interesting to see how the new coach juggles personnel and what kind of alignments and plays are developed.

Reaction Score
Hey there:
I went to the WNBA web site to see if the playoff statistics and game logs match up with your over-riding premise. Based on that:
  • In terms of rebounding, Stevens peformed solidly throughout the playoffs, averaging 6.9 RPG in 10 games. Turner, for anyone that played more than one game, led all players with a 9.9 RPG average (11 games). Scoring wise, Azura averaged 9.8 PPG and Bri 8.5 ppg.
  • In the finals, both had basically the same rebounding statistics compared to the overall playoffs: Turner at 9.25 RPG and Stevens at 6.5 RPG. Azura's scoring went down to 8.25 PPG while Turner's fell to 5.00, pulled down by laying a goose egg in one of the games.

Could Phoenix have benefitted from those 3.5 ppg? Sure, but Turner didn't let if affect her rebounding, which stayed consistent.

The addition of Tina Charles will give Phoenx three of the top rebounders in the league, not to mention the top scorer (Charles). Given TC's ability to stretch the floor, it might even make Turner more of an offensive rebounding threat. It will be interesting to see how the new coach juggles personnel and what kind of alignments and plays are developed.
There are going to be some really fun teams to watch this year. A few are in 'building for the future' mode, which I'm OK with. There's a lot of talent coming down the pike that you could build a franchise around.

Reaction Score

Don't say that......... I've read that some BYers this Z is a bust :oops:

Reaction Score
Don't say that......... I've read that some BYers this Z is a bust :oops:
I thought Azura was a bust until the playoffs. She started finishing putbacks and playing good defense and looked stronger overall. Her consistent play really helped the Sky.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
'Sloot Reportedly Signs One-Year Deal To Return to the Sky

So, with 'Sloot back and Allemand now on board (part of the Belgian influx), what does this mean for Dana Evans? Fighting it out with Allemand for PT? "Take a seat on the bench and wait until '23 to see if 'Sloot comes back (again)?" Or, off to another team?

Does Quigley come back?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I thought Azura was a bust until the playoffs. She started finishing putbacks and playing good defense and looked stronger overall. Her consistent play really helped the Sky.

Her numbers/performance in the playoffs are pretty much in line with what she was doing in the regular season. So I would say you only noticed how good she is in the playoffs :)

She's had some injuries that brought an early end to her 2020 season and had her on a minutes restriction in the early part of the 2021 season but she's been effective when she's been able to be on the floor.

The key difference between Stevens and Turner is that Stevens is a passable 3 point shooter and Turner doesn't even take 3s. It's really hard in the playoffs when defenses can completely ignore one of your players on the perimeter.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
'Sloot Reportedly Signs One-Year Deal To Return to the Sky

So, with 'Sloot back and Allemand now on board (part of the Belgian influx), what does this mean for Dana Evans? Fighting it out with Allemand for PT? "Take a seat on the bench and wait until '23 to see if 'Sloot comes back (again)?" Or, off to another team?

Does Quigley come back?

This was the report from a couple days ago. I would think it's just a matter of time. I personally will feel better once all these deals are signed instead of just "agreed".

The French league runs later than most of the European leagues so Allemand will miss the early part of the Sky's season. Evans will be Sloot's backup until then. I expect that she will not get much run once Allemand arrives in the states.

The Sky have been loading up on low-cost guards (Gondrezick, Kamiah Smalls) so first things first Evans needs to earn her spot in training camp.

Reaction Score
Evans being able to stick a whole season on a roster was a huge accomplishment. She’s been an underdog her whole life so this is nothing new for her.

Reaction Score
This was the report from a couple days ago. I would think it's just a matter of time. I personally will feel better once all these deals are signed instead of just "agreed".

The French league runs later than most of the European leagues so Allemand will miss the early part of the Sky's season. Evans will be Sloot's backup until then. I expect that she will not get much run once Allemand arrives in the states.

The Sky have been loading up on low-cost guards (Gondrezick, Kamiah Smalls) so first things first Evans needs to earn her spot in training camp.

Sloot and Quigly aren’t going anywhere.

Reaction Score
And more drama in Indiana. Tamika Catchings steps down.
I loved Catchings as a player and she seems like a genuinely good person who is a great representative for the game of women's basketball. That being said she made some poor decisions with selecting players. Also hiring Marianne Stanley was a head scratcher for me.

I am not surprised by this and think it's probably for the best.

Reaction Score
Catchings was downright awful. She had no clue. Quite surprising since she was such an intelligent player. Loved watching her but a complete joke as a GM

Reaction Score
Did it really matter who coached the Pacers with that mix of players? I remember Stanley and Catchings on draft day after they picked the West Virginia guard laughing and high fiving like they had the steal of the draft when the rest of the BBall world was stunned at their stupidity. They obviously felt there was a limited amount talent left that could help them in a weak draft and decided to wing it with a reach pick

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Five Thirty Eight article on the Sparks and mentioning KLS

When it comes to spot-up shooting, Katie Lou Samuelson has improved from the three-point line in each of her first three seasons in the WNBA, reaching 35.1 percent during 2021. No returning regular on the Sparks other than Nneka Ogwumike outperformed that rate last season, and on a team where Samuelson should get regular minutes and a better chance to establish rhythm, the knock-down shooter of her UConn college days should show up in Los Angeles.

But notably, Samuelson has continued to diversify her game, and while her spacing will matter, so too will her ability to maximize her 6-foot-3 frame in mismatches to finish around the rim. Samuelson’s field-goal percentage within 3 feet of the hoop last season was a robust 71.4 percent, and 17.7 percent of her attempts came at the rim. That combination allowed Samuelson to thrive in transition, either pulling up or exploiting a mismatch to the tune of 1.359 points per transition possession, good for fifth in the WNBA among the 65 players with at least 30 such possessions. And she used that post-up skill regardless of the offensive situation, finishing fifth in that metric among 55 players with at least 10 such possessions as well.

The Los Angeles Sparks Went All-In This Offseason. How Will The New Pieces Fit Together?

Reaction Score

When it comes to spot-up shooting, Katie Lou Samuelson has improved from the three-point line in each of her first three seasons in the WNBA, reaching 35.1 percent during 2021. No returning regular on the Sparks other than Nneka Ogwumike outperformed that rate last season, and on a team where Samuelson should get regular minutes and a better chance to establish rhythm, the knock-down shooter of her UConn college days should show up in Los Angeles.

But notably, Samuelson has continued to diversify her game, and while her spacing will matter, so too will her ability to maximize her 6-foot-3 frame in mismatches to finish around the rim. Samuelson’s field-goal percentage within 3 feet of the hoop last season was a robust 71.4 percent, and 17.7 percent of her attempts came at the rim. That combination allowed Samuelson to thrive in transition, either pulling up or exploiting a mismatch to the tune of 1.359 points per transition possession, good for fifth in the WNBA among the 65 players with at least 30 such possessions. And she used that post-up skill regardless of the offensive situation, finishing fifth in that metric among 55 players with at least 10 such possessions as well.

The Los Angeles Sparks Went All-In This Offseason. How Will The New Pieces Fit Together?
Really grasping at straws

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

WNBA mock draft 2022 - There's a new Sheriff in town. No, not Reggie Hammond, NaLyssa Smith (Baylor) who has replaced Rhyne Howard as the projected number 1 draft pick. (Washington Mystics)​

Last edited:

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
WNBA players making plans to leave Russia.

Reaction Score

She looked more comfortable on the court finally. She sure is bouncing around though. Time to stay a while somewhere. Easy to say hard to do

Reaction Score
NaLyssa Smith had a monster game last night with a 20/20 and cemented her #1 overall draft status.

Question: Is there a major talented guard the Mystics can trade for that #1 pick?

Reaction Score

Samuelson and Gabby finally might be ready to step up. Gabby should be able to start finishing her drives now. If there’s a stat she would of led the league in missed drives to the hoop. Positive was she kept trying like she expected them to drop. Samuelson benefited from getting better looks playing with Bird and Stewart.

Last edited:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Indiana Fever have traded Teaira McCowan (and no. 7 Pick in 2022 and Chi 2023 First Round pick) to the Dallas Wings for the No. 4 and No. 6 Picks in the 2022 draft and Dallas 2023 First Round Pick. Seems a bit of a head scratcher here. Not sure there is a big in college who will be available at 4 and 6 that would have a bigger impact than McCowan. But maybe others more knowledgeable about the WNBA and Draft could say otherwise.

edited: Ah, I just saw that McCowan's contract is almost up and maybe they do have some future plans going on haha

Fever clearly need to make changes but not sure this the right one right now unless they are going full tank mode for 2023?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom