WNBA News | Page 7 | The Boneyard

WNBA News

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Indiana Fever have traded Teaira McCowan (and no. 7 Pick in 2022 and Chi 2023 First Round pick) to the Dallas Wings for the No. 4 and No. 6 Picks in the 2022 draft and Dallas 2023 First Round Pick. Seems a bit of a head scratcher here. Not sure there is a big in college who will be available at 4 and 6 that would have a bigger impact than McCowan. But maybe others more knowledgeable about the WNBA and Draft could say otherwise.

edited: Ah, I just saw that McCowan's contract is almost up and maybe they do have some future plans going on haha

Fever clearly need to make changes but not sure this the right one right now unless they are going full tank mode for 2023?

The move definitely makes sense for Dallas--they're overloaded with draft picks and McCowan is a solid post presence. Also, this draft is decent but far from spectacular. I think Dallas would be foolish to make this trade if they missed out on Smith, Howard or Austin, but the talent drops off considerably after the top 3. For 4/6 you're looking at players like Naz Hillmon, Elissa Cunane, Nia Clouden, Kierstan Bell, maybe Christyn Williams...Dallas already has a slew of players with similar skill level they're hoping to develop (Collier, Kuier, Dungee, Alarie, Harris) so I think it makes sense to take a proven commodity and focus on developing the rest of the younger players they already have.

Big T didn't look as good under Stanley as she did under Chatman....maybe she'll do better under Johnson. I never got the vibe that she enjoyed being in Indianapolis after her rookie year.

For Indiana, I think they're mostly clearing house and getting set up for the future. They aren't making the playoffs this year and have a prime shot at getting Boston or Jones next year. Getting a Hillmon/Cunance/Clouden type player gives them options for solid role players, and chances are they'll cash in big next year and 2024 when there will be back to back loaded draft classes. Kind of shame how poorly Indiana's lottery picks have worked out the last 3 years...all they have to show for it is the #4 and #6 picks this year.

Reaction Score
Indiana Fever have traded Teaira McCowan (and no. 7 Pick in 2022 and Chi 2023 First Round pick) to the Dallas Wings for the No. 4 and No. 6 Picks in the 2022 draft and Dallas 2023 First Round Pick. Seems a bit of a head scratcher here. Not sure there is a big in college who will be available at 4 and 6 that would have a bigger impact than McCowan. But maybe others more knowledgeable about the WNBA and Draft could say otherwise.

edited: Ah, I just saw that McCowan's contract is almost up and maybe they do have some future plans going on haha

Fever clearly need to make changes but not sure this the right one right now unless they are going full tank mode for 2023?
yes they are clearly tanking and the Wnba needs to step in and do something. Honestly not the biggest fan of expansion, but if it means that an expansion team gets the 1st overall pick in 2024 wouldn't be the worst thing.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I have always loved McCowan and was hoping she'd make her way out of Indiana. I'm not sure I like her being in Dallas much more. I hope Kelly Raimon can coach her up some and that the coaching staff can convince (some of) the players what an asset it is to have T on the team.

Reaction Score
yes they are clearly tanking and the Wnba needs to step in and do something. Honestly not the biggest fan of expansion, but if it means that an expansion team gets the 1st overall pick in 2024 wouldn't be the worst thing.
How. An it be called tanking when they are already the worst team in the league

Reaction Score
I have always loved McCowan and was hoping she'd make her way out of Indiana. I'm not sure I like her being in Dallas much more. I hope Kelly Raimon can coach her up some and that the coaching staff can convince (some of) the players what an asset it is to have T on the team.
Players like McGowan are becoming obsolete in the WNBA. The last real post player to win a championship, was Fowles. She had Maya, Whalen, and Augustus on her team.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I’m not sure even with McCowan they wouldn’t be the bottom of the barrel of teams. They added virtually no one during the trade season. So, it’s hard for the league do something. The Fever could easily say they wanted to make sure they got something in return before McCowan’s rookie contract ran out. But they’ve been the one of if not the worst teams in the league since…2013?? And have never gotten the number 1 pick. So it’s not like it’s The Liberty, Seattle, and Vegas with multiple number one picks back-to-back. And I think the league combined two season record is their way to attempting to counteract tanking.

Reaction Score
Players like McGowan are becoming obsolete in the WNBA. The last real post player to win a championship, was Fowles. She had Maya, Whalen, and Augustus on her team.
That's insulting to Big Syl. She is way more mobile than McCowan.

However, I get your point and just think Sylvia isn't the person to prove your point. I think it is more about all the big but not athletic and mobile center types in college that just can't make it in the wnba. McCowan, Gustafson, Kalani Brown, Alana Coates, and even Lauren Cox.

Reaction Score
That's insulting to Big Syl. She is way more mobile than McCowan.

However, I get your point and just think Sylvia isn't the person to prove your point. I think it is more about all the big but not athletic and mobile center types in college that just can't make it in the wnba. McCowan, Gustafson, Kalani Brown, Alana Coates, and even Lauren Cox.
The problem is you have players like Stewie, EDD, A'ja, JJ. They are a lot more mobile, and these post players have no chance of guarding them. Getting up and down the floor they get lost on transition.
Griner has led the league in scoring, team didn' t win anything. Liz led the league in scoring won nothing.
Las Vegas got to the finals without Liz.

Reaction Score
The problem is you have players like Stewie, EDD, A'ja, JJ. They are a lot more mobile, and these post players have no chance of guarding them. Getting up and down the floor they get lost on transition.
Griner has led the league in scoring, team didn' t win anything. Liz led the league in scoring won nothing.
Las Vegas got to the finals without Liz.
Griner took forever to play close to her potential which was this year. Finally put together a real offensive game and looked like a real threat. Her Olympic experience of being the focal point and coming through really helped her confidence

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Seven players who used Athletes Unlimited to earn WNBA contracts​

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I had peaked my head into a few games and I was surprised how high the level of play was. Of course, when they flip players around, it is hard for people to watch who like continuity but very happy some extra visibility was created.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom