WNBA June 2019 Musings, scores, pictures, etc | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WNBA June 2019 Musings, scores, pictures, etc

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Griner's dunk, one of the only Mercury highlights from Friday night's game.

Wow, that was fairly much a parting of the Red Sea by the defense there. Decent dunk, but for her height and length...meh. I can't wait to see Belibi dunk in a college game.

Reaction Score
Too bad dunks dont count for 20 points :rolleyes::cool:
If they made dunks 4 points in the women’s game, there would have to be some serious thought given to defining, “What is a dunk?” (This is not a comment on Griner’s dunk the other day - that was a legit flush.)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If they made dunks 4 points in the women’s game, there would have to be some serious thought given to defining, “What is a dunk?” (This is not a comment on Griner’s dunk the other day - that was a legit flush.)

Just imagine how much fun that would be delaying the game for 5 minutes while the refs watch endless replays to determine if it actually is a dunk or not.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sparks getting their butt's kicked by the Mystics at home . 62-38 after 3Q on Candice's return. Chiney undoubtedly will blame the refs. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This is how you lose by 29 at home

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is how you lose by 29 at home

View attachment 43945
Lol Candace with the MVP stat line, 3 points on 1-9 shooting and 6 turnovers. Not to mention all the layups she gave up while resting on defense. They were better off giving more minutes to Riquna "All 18" Williams :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The sophomore class of the W was one of the best classes in draft history. Many of them have made improvements and hugely impact their teams. The players still on rosters are the whole first round are A’ja Wilson, Kelsey Mitchell, Diamond Deshields, Gabby, Jordan Canada, Azura, Ariel Atkins, Victoria Vivians(injured), Lexie Brown, Kia, Maria Vadeeva and Marie Gulich. Second rounders are Stephanie Muvanga, Monique Billings, Myisha Hines-Allen, and Mercedes Russell. I would say the players making the most impact are Wilson, Mitchell, Deshields(as of late), Canada(before going down with injury) Atkins, Brown, and Kia. Of that list I’d say the best players in the class are 1)Wilson 13.4ppg, 8.0 rpg, 2.4 app, 1.6 bpg, 2)Mitchell 14ppg, 2.4apg, 3)Nurse 15.4ppg, 2.4apg, 4)Deshields 14ppg, 4.7rpg, 2.3apg, 1.5spg and 5)Atkins 11.4ppg, 1.3apg, 1.6spg. If I had to choose one, I’m going Ariel Atkins.

Even the players who don’t get minutes or aren’t making large impacts still impact their teams as pretty good role players.

Reaction Score
Watched Atlanta get a rare win this morning (albeit they played Indiana - somebody had to win). The league is a real mess with the large number of stars missing due to injury or foreign obligations, or just sitting out. Standings really look strange. CT running away with it, Chicago in 2nd place (What?? :eek::eek: ), Seattle in 5th, LA in the middle of the pack, Minnesota below .500, Phoenix in 10th place. Yikes. Need the stars back. Parity seems to = mediocrity.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Watched Atlanta get a rare win this morning (albeit they played Indiana - somebody had to win). The league is a real mess with the large number of stars missing due to injury or foreign obligations, or just sitting out. Standings really look strange. CT running away with it, Chicago in 2nd place (What?? :eek::eek: ), Seattle in 5th, LA in the middle of the pack, Minnesota below .500, Phoenix in 10th place. Yikes. Need the stars back. Parity seems to = mediocrity.

View attachment 43951

Talk about burying the lead.

Our girls Hayes and Montgomery had perhaps their best games of the season

Reaction Score
Talk about burying the lead.

Our girls Hayes and Montgomery had perhaps their best games of the season
Sorry, Tiffany was indeed awesome with 28, and Renee was 1 assist short of a double-double 16/9.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sky lead Liberty 41-34 at the half. Very physical game. Unfortunately, Kia Nurse rolled her ankle.:mad:

She has it iced before half. Hopefully, nothing more serious.

Reaction Score
Sky lead Liberty 41-34 at the half. Very physical game. Unfortunately, Kia Nurse rolled her ankle.:mad:

She has it iced before half. Hopefully, nothing more serious.
Kia out on the floor warming up for 2nd half - looks like she’s going to start

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kia out on the floor warming up for 2nd half - looks like she’s going to start

She played the 2nd half but she does not look 100%. Still, clearly dodged a bullet even though it looks like the Sky will win although the liberty put up a good fight. Just so many missed open shots.

Durr having an excellent game. Her game is so smooth. A real pleasure to watch.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She played the 2nd half but she does not look 100%. Still, clearly dodged a bullet even though it looks like the Sky will win although the liberty put up a good fight. Just so many missed open shots.

Durr having an excellent game. Her game is so smooth. A real pleasure to watch.

I didn't get to tune into until the 4th quarter, by which point the Liberty were nailing a bunch of threes. I'm glad they were missing shots early so that Chicago had enough cushion to survive.

New York has some real live wires at the guard spots between Boyd, Nurse, and Durr. Lot of athleticism there.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I didn't get to tune into until the 4th quarter, by which point the Liberty were nailing a bunch of threes. I'm glad they were missing shots early so that Chicago had enough cushion to survive.

New York has some real live wires at the guard spots between Boyd, Nurse, and Durr. Lot of athleticism there.

The liberty kept the game close through 3Q (trailing by only 5 entering Q4) but had a really bad start to Q4. Vandersloot just killed us.

One nice observation was that Gabby had 2 of the nicest drives I have seen from her during the game and did not feel the need to take jump shots which she still needs to improve on.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wings/Merc is pretty painful so far...33-27 at the half. Phoenix shooting 20% from the field. So many missed layups, airballs, etc. Hopefully the night cap is a better game (Aces/Mystics).

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ha I love what Sancho Lyttle just did to Arike. Didn't let her get away with her usual bully moves on the court, trying to shove people around. Arike's 1-6 and has 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in about 10 minutes of play.

Reaction Score
Ha I love what Sancho Lyttle just did to Arike. Didn't let her get away with her usual bully moves on the court, trying to shove people around. Arike's 1-6 and has 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in about 10 minutes of play.
I got a kick out of Arike getting frustrated after committing an offensive foul so blatant even she couldn’t argue it, then promptly getting called again 10 seconds later. But the Mercury really suck tonight - they’re the more talented team, but just not playing with energy...

Plebe

Reaction Score
Megan Gustafson seeing (I believe) her first minutes as a pro. Got a bucket in the 2nd quarter, also has a couple rebounds and an assist in 4 minutes of play.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
24.6% shooting by Phoenix. That is unforgivably ugly. I didn't get to watch this one, but I don't care how good the defense was. A team with Bonner and Griner has to do better than that.

Box score has Theresa Plaisance as a +30. Wow!

Briann January - 25. Yikes.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
24.6% shooting by Phoenix. That is unforgivably ugly. I didn't get to watch this one, but I don't care how good the defense was. A team with Bonner and Griner has to do better than that.
I only saw the second half, but except for a very brief 3-minute spurt when Phoenix hit several 3s and drew to within 1 point, it was u-g-l-y you ain't got no alibi. Phx was cold cold cold. I mean like Griner and Bonner both missing layups. Just awful.

I will say, Kayla Thornton is making a name for herself this year. She could be an all-star.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The Mystics just can't miss in Q1. Delle Donne looks like she can do whatever she wants to so far. Aces trying to hang around. Been pretty much all Cambage and Wilson thus far.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Washington started 7-8 from the floor, I think they are 12-18 now and up 30-19 at the end of Q1. Aces only have 1 bucket from anyone other than Cambage and Wilson.

This figures, Plum has been red hot the last 2 games, now that I'm watching she's started out 0-2 behind the arc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom