WNBA Draft Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

WNBA Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Hasn't Geno said essentially the same thing?
He probably did, with a compost-eating grin on his face.

It falls in the same category as "can't guard a chair", "worst post player in America", "can't jump over the Storrs phone book", etc., etc.

The best was about Maya: "She is a very well-rounded individual. She plays several instruments, she's applied for a Rhodes scholarship. She even told me that next week she's going to try to learn how to get in a defensive stance."

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Where on earth did the "Morgan Tuck is unathletic" thing come from? I must have missed that memo...Check out her steal and coast to coast layup as a freshman in the Final Four against ND, and get back to me.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Thanks for this photo. They're just gorgeous.

Wasn't it just the other day when the tall freshman rode the bench during yet another loss to Notre Dame ? And the little speedster was running aimlessly in all directions ? And the smiling, serious looking one was still looking for her groove ? Who knows where the time goes ?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno did say something to the effect that Tuck can't jump or run. Actually, her vertical has been limited since her injury. I think she ran the floor fine this year, though. Morgan's game is not explosive; it's smart and crafty.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm just not sure these two have the game that's going transition well to the WNBA. I would trade them both for Mo Jeff in heartbeat.
I've had concerns about Morgan's prospects in the pros for some time. She's listed at 6'2" but she's really 6'1" without great ups, or even good ups. She has marvelous footwork around the basket but she'll be up against of lot of big bigs who recover and help much more quickly than in the college game. Regarding rebounding, she seems only average to me.

I think the key to her success is her ability to step out and shoot from afar. And, her strong physique should aid in not getting pushed around.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've had concerns about Morgan's prospects in the pros for some time. She's listed at 6'2" but she's really 6'1" without great ups, or even good ups. She has marvelous footwork around the basket but she'll be up against of lot of big bigs who recover and help much more quickly than in the college game. Regarding rebounding, she seems only average to me.

I think the key to her success is her ability to step out and shoot from afar. And, her strong physique should aid in not getting pushed around.
She always had Stewart's number when they played against each other, and I suspect she has continued to bedevil Stewart in their pick up games. Defensively she is very smart and strong, and offensively she is not fast but has very quick feet and a fully developed repertoire of moves that have succeeded against every big she has ever played against. I don't think she is likely to become a star, but an Asjha Jones type career with a little of USA love along the way is certainly very possible. Smart players who do everything well are precious commodities.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She always had Stewart's number when they played against each other, and I suspect she has continued to bedevil Stewart in their pick up games. Defensively she is very smart and strong, and offensively she is not fast but has very quick feet and a fully developed repertoire of moves that have succeeded against every big she has ever played against. I don't think she is likely to become a star, but an Asjha Jones type career with a little of USA love along the way is certainly very possible. Smart players who do everything well are precious commodities.
When they arrived at UConn, there was only one player her age in the country who could effectively guard Stewie. That was Morgan.

Reaction Score
I'm just not sure these two have the game that's going transition well to the WNBA. I would trade them both for Mo Jeff in heartbeat.
Absolutely, I would have gone after Mo Jeff if I had a chance to get her. Seattle should have tried to trade Jewel for # 2 to get Mo Jeff. That would have reunited a dynamic duo with Stewie and guarunteed years of championships beyond anyones imagination. I believe this trade was possible.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Absolutely, I would have gone after Mo Jeff if I had a chance to get her. Seattle should have tried to trade Jewel for # 2 to get Mo Jeff. That would have reunited a dynamic duo with Stewie and guarunteed years of championships beyond anyones imagination. I believe this trade was possible.
I love Moriah but why would Seattle trade the 2015 WNBA Rookie of the Year for someone that's never played a game as a pro?

Reaction Score
I love Moriah but why would Seattle trade the 2015 WNBA Rookie of the Year for someone that's never played a game as a pro?
IMHO that award was bogus. Jewel took every shot in the book to win that award. Seattle knew at the time they were not going anywhere so they let her shoot. On your other point regarding lack of experience, I see so much potential in MJ that I believe she will dominate her position in her 1st year and beyond. Either that or she will kill herself trying.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score

Agree. As well as she played at UC, MoJeff has yet to prove herself in the pro game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It appears that the Stars saw the potential with Moriah as well and while fielding offers from a bunch of folks never found a deal to tempt them. I thought CT with some high recent draft picks and a roster loaded with good players that they are going to have to pare down significantly might have found a package that SA with their weak roster and multiple needs should have taken. As it was during this offseason/draft cycle they traded away:
Chelsea Grey - #11 in 2014 (fell that low because she was unavailable for her first season rehabbing a knee.)
Elizabeth Willimans - #4 in 2015
And from my view could have made available some of the log jam they have at forward:
Alyssa Thomas - #4 in 2014
Camille Little - #17 in 2007 ( a solid pro)
Shekinna Stricklen - #2 in 2012 (a solid pro with upside)

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Where on earth did the "Morgan Tuck is unathletic" thing come from? I must have missed that memo...Check out her steal and coast to coast layup as a freshman in the Final Four against ND, and get back to me.

Consider the source. Waquoit is a hater, plain and simple. He claims not to be, but if it looks like duck and quacks like a duck, it's for damn sure a duck. As with most of that ilk, the "facts" are trimmed to fit, ignored or concocted to suit.

Reaction Score
Not really - they are very different type players and it gets down to specific team needs. Out side of the first two picks who I believe, even with my love for what Morgan can bring to a team, the rest of the high draft picks really came to differing opinions of potential and fits within the current roster. There really are not that many teams that have a lot of roster space for draftees - even the Sun who have failed to make the playoffs for three years have players returning that will not be easily displaced.

I am surprised that two of the Suns top three draftees are forwards and they even traded a guard for one of them. With Bone, Chiney, Thomas, Pedersen, Little, Lacy, Stricklen, as well as Henry, Greene, and Macauley that is quite a log jam that they are adding Morgan and Jonquel to.

I am really surprised that SA didn't find a trade in which they got multiple potential starters in return for the #2 pick - they need more help than a single great player, but I guess it is a complement to Moriah that they valued her so highly.
The new coach likes proper spacing, which Morgan fits too a tee, expect some of the other front court players to be traded or let go.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Correct. I thought Cable might have had a shot at a 3rd round pick, hopefully she gets a camp invite. Mabrey was eligible but realistically she was already over-matched athletically at the D-1 level.

Only 2 players from the ACC were drafted: Adut Bulgak (FSU) and Brianna Butler (Syracuse). That's the smallest number of draftees among the P5 conferences.

Reaction Score
Pokey was pretty honest about wanting a defensive-minded interior player. Boyette fits that description.

I've always thought she was a stiff that was overrated because of her size. But we'll see. Probably a better fit for CHI than Bulgak but I like Bulgak better overall.
Agree. I wasn't very impressed this season with her play. She got into foul trouble in the games I watched.

Chi-Town missed the boat last year when they didn't take Kiah.

Reaction Score
Pokey was pretty honest about wanting a defensive-minded interior player. Boyette fits that description.

I've always thought she was a stiff that was overrated because of her size. But we'll see. Probably a better fit for CHI than Bulgak but I like Bulgak better overall.
Agree. I wasn't very impressed this season with her play. She got into foul trouble in the games I watched.

Chi-Town missed the boat last year when they didn't take Kiah.

Reaction Score
FWIW I'm not sold on Banham. An unathletic, dare I say chunky, 5'9" guard who is a great shooter... It's not like she's Lindsay Whalen and is more of a PG and can barrel into the post and score with tons of contact. What she faced in college is light years different than what she will face in the pros. Having said that, you can't judge her based on her first year. Many really really good players struggle their first year, one of the most notable recently was Diggins who had a stellar 2nd season.

But... the sun now only have the following guards on the roster: Faris, O'neill, Bentley and Thomas. To trade Grey away for Jones when they have no less than 10 forward/center types and to add Morgan - I'm just not sure they did the right thing. I'm sure some of those forwards can play the 3 (Stricklen, Tuck and maybe a few others), so maybe Banham was a good pick for them, but still... I guess time will tell...
A shooter is a shooter.

I think she'll do well but may need to streamline her physique a bit.

Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck is unathletic???

That will come as news not only to UConn fans but to many of the players that she guarded on defense or beat on offense this year. Alaina Coates and Imami Boyette would not agree with you, I am quite sure. And I predict that this summer we will see Morgan beat both Kiah and Stef for layups, just as she has done consistently against top college competition. If Morgan does not have a very good pro career, it will be because of her knee, not any athletic limitations.

And you didn't even mention Jonquel Jones -- is she also unathletic?[/QUOTE]

I don't see her beating Kiah.

Reaction Score
I was satisfied with the WNBA draft when I saw Brittany Martin go to SA. I think that may have been the best fit for her.

Watch out WNBA!

I'll be courtside at as many Minny games as I can make it to this season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Consider the source. Waquoit is a hater, plain and simple. He claims not to be, but if it looks like duck and quacks like a duck, it's for damn sure a duck. As with most of that ilk, the "facts" are trimmed to fit, ignored or concocted to suit.

What I hate are those who stick their fingers in their ears saying "La, la, la la..." when they hear things they don't like. Smart and crafty down low works in college. It's not a given that game transfers to the pros where athleticism is key. The worst defender Tuck will face in the pros will be tons better than the best defender she faced in college. We're not allowed to bring that up? And name a fact I "trimmed" to suit.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

IMHO that award was bogus. Jewel took every shot in the book to win that award. Seattle knew at the time they were not going anywhere so they let her shoot. On your other point regarding lack of experience, I see so much potential in MJ that I believe she will dominate her position in her 1st year and beyond. Either that or she will kill herself trying.

Its good to see Ricky Jefferson here posting ;)

Reaction Score
Our work is done here. We can change channels now.
Morgan said a lot of the UConn fans wanted her to stay an extra year, so she's staying, just playing for a different team, and that she loves Connecticut and the fans and is excited.
Do any of you know if there are WNBA fantasy leagues available?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Do any of you know if there are WNBA fantasy leagues available?
There was a thread about Sue, DT, Jewell, BG and a couple others sponsoring a WNBA fantasy set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom