WNBA considering expanding by 2 teams | The Boneyard

WNBA considering expanding by 2 teams

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This is a great idea of course, provided the teams can be profitable.

WNBA commissioner discusses adding expansion teams

I have no idea where they "should" go. It seems logical to consider cities with strong WCBB following - Columbia, SC, Knoxville, Lexington KY, somewhere in Iowa (ISU and Iowa both have strong fan support). But maybe those aren't logical places? Where do the BY experts think new teams should go?

It's a great idea and hope it comes to pass. I have to imagine players like Evina, Crystal, Moriah, and others who are barely hanging on, could find good homes...

We don’t want to jeopardize the momentum we have, but we understand the issue about roster sizes,” Engelbert said. “But when you’re a country the size and scale of ours and you’re only in 12 cities, growing the league is a way to do that as well. Then you open up roster spots. I don’t think it’s about rosters per team. It’s about more opportunities to play for more players to play.”

Engelbert’s comments come just days after star Storm forward Breanna Stewart blasted the league for its restrictive salary cap, which has led to fewer available roster spots for incoming draft picks, including those selected in the first round. The 2018 league MVP argued that the WNBA needs to consider creating a developmental league or allowing teams to sign “practice players,” or else the league will suffer from a lack of young talent.

Good for Stewie, but bottom line, not too long ago, the league was not only barely hanging on, but in danger of going under (at least that is my impression). There's a reason the WNBA pays so little, even compared to overseas gigs for women. It seems the league is on the right trajectory, and hopefully interest continues to rise and the league continues to become more profitable.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I think that a Canadian team is a given, which I assume will be Toronto.

That, IMO, leaves us to a west coast expansion. Perhaps the Bay area?

Reaction Score
From articles that I have seen in the past these locations were mentioned: Houston and the Sacramento area as well as Toronto. There are plenty of locations but will fan support be there for a summer sport? I am all for placing a team in Tennessee and South Carolina. They would be well deserved locations. They tried Charlotte once why not the Raleigh area? Adding two team would be welcomed. But they also need a minor league. As people have mentioned that won't pay well, which stinks. However, places to play are plenty. Pay players per game plus amenities. Random thought but I would love to see a New England Minor League.

Reaction Score
When did they suddenly start making a profit? Last I heard, the NBA was pumping money int a bottomless pit just to keep them afloat. Presumably, that is no longer the case or they (surely) would not be considering expansion. More teams, more slots for Crystal and Mo!:)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Put a team in Philadelphia have Geno or Dawn coach it as a summer time gig. There must be precedent for this since Dawn was coaching at Temple and playing in the WNBA at the same time back in the day.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to understand if the WNBA is making money and in what cities. Would give a hint to the logic behind any move to expand. Glad to hear this is under consideration.

Reaction Score
Put a team in Philadelphia have Geno or Dawn coach it as a summer time gig. There must be precedent for this since Dawn was coaching at Temple and playing in the WNBA at the same time back in the day.
Philly
Portland
Oakland
Toronto
Are the 4 interested cities from what i know ...so it would have to be 2 out of those 4 most likely .

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Any information on Week 1 WNBA attendance / ratings numbers? Any positive trend?

Maybe instead of jumping into high risk expansion, move poor drawing clubs to potentially better locations first and add 1-2 roster spots.

Reaction Score
From one of my favorite receivers and a super human being by all acount.

Reaction Score
Philly
Portland
Oakland
Toronto
Are the 4 interested cities from what i know ...so it would have to be 2 out of those 4 most likely .
Out of that group, I'd say Toronto and Oakland for sure.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
After checking box scores for the first week of play, it appears the benches of all teams are not very strong. Several players I never heard of. After the starting five, a big drop off in production. I knoew the fact that teams are not at full strength is a factor. And two teams, Indiana and Dallas, that don't appear to have a chance of success this year. So, I'm not seeing a need for expansion, just because out favorite UConn players were waived.

Reaction Score
For selfish reasons I would like one in Florida, but I heard Nashville mentioned as a possibility, and I think they would be very supportive of a WNBA franchise.

Reaction Score
Link not loading?

Yeah, I could not insert the link from bleacherreport. Maybe this will work a little.

sun

Reaction Score
Arena rent is one of the largest expenses for teams, according to sports bankers and WNBA owners.

"If you can mitigate it or eliminate it or at least make it palatable, you have a much better chance at success," Malandro said.

When the Mohegan tribe signed its 2003 operating agreement with the WNBA, the owners of the Connecticut Sun agreed to provide the Mohegan Sun Arena rent-free to the team. In 2010, the team became the first in the league to turn a profit.

"You have to have the right building," said one current owner who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "It's hard to make the math work if the size of the building is wrong. If the cost structure is wrong."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is a great idea of course, provided the teams can be profitable.

WNBA commissioner discusses adding expansion teams

I have no idea where they "should" go. It seems logical to consider cities with strong WCBB following - Columbia, SC, Knoxville, Lexington KY, somewhere in Iowa (ISU and Iowa both have strong fan support). But maybe those aren't logical places? Where do the BY experts think new teams should go?

It's a great idea and hope it comes to pass. I have to imagine players like Evina, Crystal, Moriah, and others who are barely hanging on, could find good homes...

We don’t want to jeopardize the momentum we have, but we understand the issue about roster sizes,” Engelbert said. “But when you’re a country the size and scale of ours and you’re only in 12 cities, growing the league is a way to do that as well. Then you open up roster spots. I don’t think it’s about rosters per team. It’s about more opportunities to play for more players to play.”

Engelbert’s comments come just days after star Storm forward Breanna Stewart blasted the league for its restrictive salary cap, which has led to fewer available roster spots for incoming draft picks, including those selected in the first round. The 2018 league MVP argued that the WNBA needs to consider creating a developmental league or allowing teams to sign “practice players,” or else the league will suffer from a lack of young talent.

Good for Stewie, but bottom line, not too long ago, the league was not only barely hanging on, but in danger of going under (at least that is my impression). There's a reason the WNBA pays so little, even compared to overseas gigs for women. It seems the league is on the right trajectory, and hopefully interest continues to rise and the league continues to become more profitable.
Engelbert is a very good administrator. She's not going to oversee a "willy-nilly" expansion. If the W does expand, it will be in cities that want a team and will support a team. All things in time. If Canada proves to be a good location, so be it. Oakland/San Francisco would be a good location, but not Sacramento. I think the Bay area would support a WNBA team.

The bay area had a team in Sacramento (Monarchs) that went belly up. The last great frontier of Sacramento basketball has been a distant memory in the discourse of the decade, as this past November marked eleven years since the Sacramento Monarchs folded.

One of the eight inaugural WNBA teams, the Monarchs brought a title to the City of Trees, along with countless All-Stars, Hall of Famers and genuine success in the narrative woven into the league’s history. But just three years after bringing a ring to Sacramento, the Maloof family decided in 2009 to go all-in on the Kings, implying that the Monarchs were an after-thought despite their success in the city and adoration amongst the league.

The fold was a stunner, though many had predicted that the W’s map would look quite different in the decade to come with the idea of expansion and relocation. However, wiping away the Monarchs was on no one’s docket.

WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert has mentioned the idea of expansion of the league beyond its current 12 teams. Pillars of the women’s foundation don’t exist anymore like the Monarchs, Houston Comets, Detroit Shock and Charlotte Sting have fallen to the wayside of “remember whens” and left fans to only reminisce on their city’s dominance.

The hope of the Monarchs returning to Sacramento remains dimly lit in the hearts of fans who never wavered. Where Kings’ brass choose to go from here remains undecided, as their plates seem to be forever full with trying to fan the flames of whatever issue arises. Despite the promise staying unfulfilled, the thought of Ticha Penicheiro or Kara Lawson or Yolanda Griffith returning to Sactown with a clipboard in hand could be a very sensible reality in the next decade, and it will unequivocally be worth the wait.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
  1. New York City, NY (Population: 8,622,357)
  2. Los Angeles, CA (Population: 4,085,014)
  3. Chicago, IL (Population: 2,670,406)
  4. Houston, TX (Population: 2,378,146)
  5. Phoenix, AZ (Population: 1,743,469)
  6. Philadelphia, PA (Population: 1,590,402)
  7. San Antonio, TX (Population: 1,579,504)
  8. San Diego, CA (Population: 1,469,490)
  9. Dallas, TX (Population: 1,400,337)
  10. San Jose, CA (Population: 1,036,242)
The 10 most populous cities in the U.S. Perhaps metro area population would be a better measure, but this provides a reference. Houston and Philly make sense.

Reaction Score
  1. New York City, NY (Population: 8,622,357)
  2. Los Angeles, CA (Population: 4,085,014)
  3. Chicago, IL (Population: 2,670,406)
  4. Houston, TX (Population: 2,378,146)
  5. Phoenix, AZ (Population: 1,743,469)
  6. Philadelphia, PA (Population: 1,590,402)
  7. San Antonio, TX (Population: 1,579,504)
  8. San Diego, CA (Population: 1,469,490)
  9. Dallas, TX (Population: 1,400,337)
  10. San Jose, CA (Population: 1,036,242)
The 10 most populous cities in the U.S. Perhaps metro area population would be a better measure, but this provides a reference. Houston and Philly make sense.
Houston is not a loyal sports city. It’s too big and there’s to many other things for people to do if the team does not win consistently as you saw with the comets after the 4 peat. Big population yes faithful no.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Houston is not a loyal sports city. It’s too big and there’s to many other things for people to do if the team does not win consistently as you saw with the comets after the 4 peat. Big population yes faithful no.
San Diego is a great city but maybe the worst sports city in the country. Between ridiculously high cost of living and lack of interest in sports (college or pro), I can't see the population supporting a WNBA team. SF also has similar issues in regards to high cost of living. I like the idea of Philly/Nashville/Charlotte.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
So what happens during an expansion? Do the new teams just get a lot of draft picks?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So what happens during an expansion? Do the new teams just get a lot of draft picks?
In general, the new teams will draft "unprotected" players from existing teams--sort of the reverse of a dispersal draft. They may or may not get extra draft picks.

Reaction Score
people that watch their college teams have 0 interest in the pro Wnba teams. It's like rooting for Kemba when he was a celtic, he was a great Uconn huskie but I have 0 reason to root for that horrible team of horrible fans.

Reaction Score
I think if Toronto puts in a bid it will have really stable ownership and great management, which the league would want.

Reaction Score
Any information on Week 1 WNBA attendance / ratings numbers? Any positive trend?

Maybe instead of jumping into high risk expansion, move poor drawing clubs to potentially better locations first and add 1-2 roster spots.
5/7 Connecticut-New York ESPN 337,000
5/8 Washington-Minnesota ESPN2 105,000
5/8 Seattle-Las Vegas ESPN2 143,000

Probably a bit early to really figure out attendance, but do not look at Indiana's first two games. Their owner shuttered his Reno soccer team not that long ago so he does have a history that could see him wanting to get rid of the team at some point.

Reaction Score
I wonder if college teams with a large fan base would push back against a WNBA franchise in their area? Concerns for splitting their fan base and revenue? There are only so many disposable dollars in the hands of fans to attend sporting events. Since the seasons don't overlap it might not be that big of an issue, but If I am an AD at Tennessee or South Carolina, I'm going to at least think about it. Of course, the Sun hasn't been a drag on UConn so maybe I'm making an issue where there isn't one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom