WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 32 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Geez, I wasn't saying Nika should look to be a Chong -- just that Chong was on absolutely nobody's radar at the end of her junior year and that a lot can change in a year. Nika has UConn's single-season assists record and six of the top ten assist games in UConn history. I think it's a little early for folks to state that she won't amount to anything in the W.
To me Chong stood out in the wake of the Stewie/Mo/Tuck graduations, but honestly never looked that good to me, and probably got drafted because let's be honest, who doesn't use a mid third round draft pick on a Huskie who could maybe have pro potential?

Nika, by contrast, has had very obvious strengths from day one, and I think she can be a solid role player in the W. But what everyone else said is totally right - she needs to develop better finishing skills around the rim.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oops, law of averages bit Stewie tonight. After going 15-20 last time out, she was a miserable 1-14 tonight. Dream beat Lib in NY. Johannes tried to shoot them back in the game down the stretch, but too little too late.

Balanced scoring for ATL. H. Jones had a nice game. So did Billings. O boards by the Dream really hurt NY.

Reaction Score
11 players in this game had between 11 and 18 points (including 6 Dream between 12 & 16 and Parker only had 6). Breanna shot like Martha Stewart. Great wins by the Fever and Dream tonight.

Yes, no Ionescu and Stewie probably won't have as bad a shooting game for the rest of her career, let alone this year, but who do y'all think is a better team: NY or CT? Johannès is giving them a boost, but who knows if JJ will return to any semblance of herself this year?

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Storm blowing out the Merc. Did Griner get hurt? Only played 9 minutes. They said this is only the 3rd time in her career Taurasi played 20+ minutes and went scoreless.

Storm might have something w/ Dojkic. I didn't realize, they have 4 rookies on their roster. They are definitely completely in rebuilding mode.

edit--as opposed to the Merc, who probably should be in blow it up and start over mode...

Reaction Score
Boston completely dominated Austin and Washington's shooting woes (especially starting 3 guards and top 2 guards off bench) continue. They need to get their FG%s up even if they are playing great D, and today their defense was not special.
Following up on this point: Boston was the 1st rookie in WNBA history to lead all players in points, rebounds, & assists. That's quite the accomplishment, considering the rookie year that Candace Parker had.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Following up on this point: Boston was the 1st rookie in WNBA history to lead all players in points, rebounds, & assists. That's quite the accomplishment, considering the rookie year that Candace Parker had.
Parker’s first game she led all players in all 3 categories (34/12/8), though another played had 12 rebounds so maybe it’s outright lead.

Reaction Score
Parker’s first game she led all players in all 3 categories (34/12/8), though another played had 12 rebounds so maybe it’s outright lead.

I was relying on the ESPN article that quoted Elias Sports Bureau, but I would count this as well. What an incredible rookie campaign by Candace. So many rookies have difficulty fully transitioning early (due to the short training camp) and are worn down late (due to the full pro season with very little rest after the grind of a full college season). That other player was Lisa Leslie. Great to see a box score with D-Nasty, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Griner apparently hurt her hip in the first half.

Phoenix needs to keep doing what they are doing this season: losing.

They have no offense. Get in the lotto and hope to get one of those franchise players who might be coming out.

And then decide what’s going on with Diggins. If you are keeping her, great. If not see what you can do to get another draft pick.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Also spotlighting Haley Jones, who has been thrown into Atlanta's starting PG spot with the injuries to Robinson and McDonald. That's not her ideal spot in the league, but she nearly had a double/double last night against NY, and looked better as the game went on.

Also, very limited sample size, but has she...somehow developed a 3-pt shot between her time at Stanford and her entry into the WNBA?

This rookie class is impressing so far--Horston is getting a lot of opportunity in Seattle, Siegrist has worked her way into Dallas' rotation, Berger looks solid as a backup PG in Indiana. Diamond Miller looked like she had sky high potential in MN. Dorka is starting for MN. Cooke has had nice minutes for LA. And then you have all the international "rookies" like Dojkic and Melbourne in Seattle, and Sika Kone and Morgan Bertsch (not international but has played overseas) in Chicago, who look like they definitely belong in the league.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Storm blowing out the Merc. Did Griner get hurt? Only played 9 minutes. They said this is only the 3rd time in her career Taurasi played 20+ minutes and went scoreless.

Storm might have something w/ Dojkic. I didn't realize, they have 4 rookies on their roster. They are definitely completely in rebuilding mode.

edit--as opposed to the Merc, who probably should be in blow it up and start over mode...
I've now watched Dojkic in three games and think Seattle most certainly has something. She's a smooth athlete and very assured in her manner. Melbourne, who is only 20 (?), turned the corner and drove in with her left hand on a very smooth lay-up. I like pairing either/having both of them with Whitcomb for now, who sets a good tone.
(Mentors can be a good thing for player development!)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe she's the first player period to do that shooting at higher than 75%.

Reaction Score
It seems like things are coming together for Indiana. The potential is there as some of us noted. Great to see especially for a state with a fanbase that loves their basketball.
They look vastly improved from last season. The tandem of Smith and Boston will be a great duo if they both stay put in Indiana for a long stretch.

It’s great to see them winning, but can’t help but think that missing the playoffs for one more year is in their best long term interest. Ensure a lottery pick. One more top tier player and they’ll have a ton of sustained success, especially if that player is Clark or Bueckers.

Reaction Score
I believe she's the first player period to do that shooting at higher than 75%.
She is currently 5th in Player Efficiency Rating (closer to 1st than 6th), 3rd in combined win-shares, 1st in offensive win-shares, & 1st in offensive rating for the entire WNBA. These cumulative ratings take all major statistical categories into consideration. Even beyond the stats, last night there was a mid-screen that necessitated a switch and Boston shut-down defended the driving Mystic guard who passed to the rolling Austin down low and Aliyah effortlessly slid and altered/got a piece of Shakira's shot (couldn't tell which for sure since I was watching on Twitter on my phone). She is so instinctual on both ends of the floor, which is so impressively evident, considering how differently Sides and Staley run their sets and defense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They look vastly improved from last season. The tandem of Smith and Boston will be a great duo if they both stay put in Indiana for a long stretch.

It’s great to see them winning, but can’t help but think that missing the playoffs for one more year is in their best long term interest. Ensure a lottery pick. One more top tier player and they’ll have a ton of sustained success, especially if that player is Clark or Bueckers.

I hear you. We'll see how it plays out but I'm personally not a fan of the tanking approach for lottery picks.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Since she plays in the WNBA I am putting this here. I had it googled translated to English. I dont recall her playing in a Spanish League before. I am gusessing she can now be eligible for the 2024 Olympics, assuming Spain qualifies. Does the bolded sentence mean that she married a person from Spain?

Royal Decree 515/2023, of June 13, by which Spanish nationality is granted by letter of nature to Megan Elizabeth Gustafson.​

Published in:" BOE " no. 141, of June 14, 2023, pages 84650 to 84650 (1 page )Section:III. Other provisionsDepartment:Ministry of JusticeReference:BOE-A-2023-14186

ORIGINAL TEXT​

At the proposal of the Minister of Justice in response to the exceptional circumstances that occur in Megan Elizabeth Gustafson, and after deliberation by the Council of Ministers at its meeting on June 13, 2023,

I hereby grant Spanish nationality by naturalization letter to Mrs. Megan Elizabeth Gustafson, with common law civil residence.

This concession will produce effects with the requirements, conditions and deadlines set forth in the Civil Code.
Given in Madrid, on June 13, 2023.
PHILIP R.
The Minister of Justice,
MARIA PILAR LLOP CUENCA

Reaction Score

Huh!? Some if ya'll said she wouldn't be ready for the W and would win rookie of the year based off of she is :oops:

And ya may wanna rethink Haley Jones not being ready for the W

Reaction Score
Geez, I wasn't saying Nika should look to be a Chong -- just that Chong was on absolutely nobody's radar at the end of her junior year and that a lot can change in a year. Nika has UConn's single-season assists record and six of the top ten assist games in UConn history. I think it's a little early for folks to state that she won't amount to anything in the W.
She's a first round pick in most 2024 draft boards, which includes players like Angel Reese who have already said they aren't entering the draft.

Reaction Score
Totally...

Reaction Score

DT should have joined Sue, and Sylvia, and retired after last year.
Defensively she can't guard anyone at this stage of her career.
And when has she ever had a game she played 20 minutes and didn't score?
Sometimes great ones won't accept the fact that father time catches up with everyone.

Reaction Score
DT should have joined Sue, and Sylvia, and retired after last year.
Defensively she can't guard anyone at this stage of her career.
And when has she ever had a game she played 20 minutes and didn't score?
Sometimes great ones won't accept the fact that father time catches up with everyone.

She's averaging 15 pts and 6 assists in 2023 and you're basing her not playing off of 1 game. If that was the case, she should've left Uconn after the final 4 in 2001.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It looks like Boston has gotten over the "awe" period of her welcome/indoctrination period into the WNBA. She's settled down and settled in. She's returned to the form she had in Columbia, getting double-doubles, playing defense, doing the dirty work under the boards and making a difference in the game. She has been a starter since game 1.

It would not surprise me to see her put up these kinds of numbers for the rest of the season. Next year is when I really expect her to get loose. She's still "feeling her way around the league" right now. I guess you could say she's getting her "sea legs" this year. I saw her game yesterday. She had a game-high of 23. She was making it look easy. :eek:

Boston makes history with a big night as Fever roll and routs the Mystics.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Rookie Aliyah Boston had 23 points, 14 rebounds, and six assists and the Indiana Fever beat the Washington Mystics 87-66 on Tuesday night for their first home victory of the season.

Boston, the No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft, led all players in points, rebounds, and assists, making her the first rookie in WNBA history to do all three in a game, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

Indiana snapped a six-game losing streak, scoring its first double-digit victory since 2021. The Fever trailed 45-41 early in the third quarter before scoring 18 of the next 20 points to take control at 59-47.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer