WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 19 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reports and rumors of Haley Jones's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Folks be tripping sometimes. I am like, we are three or four games into the season. Give these rookies a moment to get adjusted. Some players might be nervous. For Haley, I am happy for her. One of my favorite players in this rookie class. Heck one of my favorite players and people period. She had a breakout game tonight. Haley, and a lot of the other rookies, will have to understand that it is impossible to live up to other people's expectations. All Haley and the other rookies need to do is just set their own expectations and try to meet them. Congrats, Haley!!

Reaction Score

Really happy for Kalani

First game with them, 12 points 6 rebounds and 2 blocks so far

Yes indeed. Super happy for Kalani. Even though it was against my Minnesota Lynx. I am still happy for Kalani.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Crystal had a slow start, but scored 9 points on 4-4 shooting in Q4 to get the Wings to the finish line in a close game. Arike had 21 points, but on highly inefficient 6-20 shooting. Sabally had 23/11/5/3, and Howard had 25 on 11-15 shooting.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sloot's gonna take back her assist queen title from Cloud. Natasha kept it warm for one season. She's back on a pace to end up this season #2 all time I think.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Storm battled for most of the game but just not enough to match up with New York. Big second half from Stewie. Ionescu was raining 3's. Sloot was scoreless but had 11 assists. JJ started really good and then utterly disappeared after Q1. What's going on w/ her? Johannes was with the team for the first time this year but didn't enter the game.

Loyd started hot but didn't get many looks in the 2nd half. Ezi did a good job fighting the big, deep front court from the Lib. Russell was decent too. Whitcomb found her shooting stroke.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Jonquel Jones hasn't played more than 20min in a game yet this year. I know she's coming back from an injury--wonder if she's on a minute restriction? She's played between 16-19min in each of the first 4 games.

Reaction Score
Jonquel Jones hasn't played more than 20min in a game yet this year. I know she's coming back from an injury--wonder if she's on a minute restriction? She's played between 16-19min in each of the first 4 games.
She is in a 20 minute minutes restriction for the bone spurs/stress fracture in her foot.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Folks be tripping sometimes. I am like, we are three or four games into the season. Give these rookies a moment to get adjusted. Some players might be nervous. For Haley, I am happy for her. One of my favorite players in this rookie class. Heck one of my favorite players and people period. She had a breakout game tonight. Haley, and a lot of the other rookies, will have to understand that it is impossible to live up to other people's expectations. All Haley and the other rookies need to do is just set their own expectations and try to meet them. Congrats, Haley!!
Other than my eye test and a bunch of hunches, I think Haley will find her niche in the W and have a much different role than in college. She was not the same player as a senior vs freshman, and playing point forward may have squashed her skills and development. If she's no longer responsible for primary ball handling, we'll see some cool development over the season. I still wonder to this day - what would have happened if she had come to UConn?

Reaction Score
Storm battled for most of the game but just not enough to match up with New York. Big second half from Stewie. Ionescu was raining 3's. Sloot was scoreless but had 11 assists. JJ started really good and then utterly disappeared after Q1. What's going on w/ her? Johannes was with the team for the first time this year but didn't enter the game.

Loyd started hot but didn't get many looks in the 2nd half. Ezi did a good job fighting the big, deep front court from the Lib. Russell was decent too. Whitcomb found her shooting stroke.
It’s early but so far Jones seems like the odd women out in the Liberty’s star-studded rotation. I think it’ll take some time for her to jive with Stewart on the court. The pairing somewhat reminds me of Cambage/Wilson’s first year playing together (although Jones has superior perimeter skills to Cambage and I expect the Jones/Stewart combo to eventually mesh better).

Reaction Score
It’s early but so far Jones seems like the odd women out in the Liberty’s star-studded rotation. I think it’ll take some time for her to jive with Stewart on the court. The pairing somewhat reminds me of Cambage/Wilson’s first year playing together (although Jones has superior perimeter skills to Cambage and I expect the Jones/Stewart combo to eventually mesh better).

Until she's off the minute restrictions (20 min/game I believe) it will be hard to tell. Foot injuries are finicky that way.

Reaction Score
Other than my eye test and a bunch of hunches, I think Haley will find her niche in the W and have a much different role than in college. She was not the same player as a senior vs freshman, and playing point forward may have squashed her skills and development. If she's no longer responsible for primary ball handling, we'll see some cool development over the season. I still wonder to this day - what would have happened if she had come to UConn?
It would have been interesting if that would have ever happened. Like you said, Haley will find her niche. After the game, she talked about being nervous and slowly finding her confidence. As the games and practice sessions progress, she will find her groove. Same with the other rookies.

Watching that Wings/Lynx game last night, I was hoping and wishing Maddy Siegrist would get into the game. Get a few minutes out there. But I ain't the coach and I am sure the coach will get Maddy in when the time is right.

Reaction Score
Off-day trivia night -- on the honor system not to cheat.

I just read the ESPN article about Stewie's return to Seattle last night and how she faced off against her great friend Jewell in the NCAA Title Game. Off the top of your head, name the current active WNBA teammates that squared off against each other in the National Championship game?

I got 3 and just looked it up and only found 1 more -- amazed with all of the players that played in the finals -- would have been more last year.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don’t know which is more impressive to me; the 57% from 3 or the 62% fg for a guard.

I’m happy for her success, she’s become my favorite ND alum in the league; her and Boneyard favorite Sky Digg :rolleyes:

I like Jackie Young, Jewell Loyd, and Brianna Turner of the ND alums. I've never cared for the players with attitude, especially the Mabreys.

Reaction Score
Off-day trivia night -- on the honor system not to cheat.

I just read the ESPN article about Stewie's return to Seattle last night and how she faced off against her great friend Jewell in the NCAA Title Game. Off the top of your head, name the current active WNBA teammates that squared off against each other in the National Championship game?

I got 3 and just looked it up and only found 1 more -- amazed with all of the players that played in the finals -- would have been more last year.
Aliyah Boston/Lexie Hull

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Aliyah Boston/Lexie Hull
I probably didn't do a great job in phrasing the question, so I will give 2 examples from last year that don't apply this year, because the players are no longer WNBA teammates. Stewie (now with NY) and Loyd were teammates for Seattle and played against each other in the 2014 Natty Championship and Ty Harris (now with CT) and Big T were Dallas teammates and played against each other in the '17 finals. I counted 4 current examples.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32