WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 13 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are a dearth of good to great point guards in the WNBA right now. It seems like most teams needs one right now- Lynx, Seattle, Atlanta, Dallas, CT, fever, this list goes on.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
In two years maybe, don’t see either of them coming out next year. Maybe they can get Brink.
Clark will have played 4 years. The whole core of players she spent her career at Iowa with will be done after next season. You really see her returning for a 5th year after that?

Reaction Score
In two years maybe, don’t see either of them coming out next year. Maybe they can get Brink.
that's your opinion but not one player that has been projected top pick has comeback for a 5th year, because it's exhausting being in school and this myth about Wnba being less than college needs to stop. Shoe endorsements alone make it a better reason to be a pro.

Reaction Score
Vegas will repeat barring injury. NY has too many egos for them to work.
I'm not going to comment on the ego aspect of this post, but I agree that LV will repeat, barring injuries. I was a little concerned about motivation relative to last year with Plum & Young having show-me breakout years, Gray taking her game up many notches after not being invited to the all-star game, A'ja winning her 1st title, etc., but I think that the influx of Parker & Clark will keep them hungry. Parker is a huge upgrade over Hamby and they didn't have an effective bench last year until Bay returned. Now they will have her soon, along with Clark and an improving Stokes. Young's game is smooth and Plum is so adept at driving to the hole.

Laney was a severely underrated player for most of her career, but if they think she is on par with any Vegas starter, she has become overrated. Ionescu has had so many games over the last 2 years with a plethora of turnovers and/or very abysmal shooting numbers. Sloot regressed from '21 to '22. I would not argue with anybody that says based on their entire body of work in the WNBA, Stewie is currently slightly ahead (and light years ahead including college) of A'ja. I think that will change after this season.

Btw, this has nothing to do with today's game. If Seattle doesn't get Gabby back (and maybe even if they do), Indy will have more wins.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Wound up being a good game
Remember, Big T left the game and didn't come back. Took away an offensive threat/presence down low. Gray threw Arike off a bit in the 2nd and Dallas had to hang on. I kept thinking, swing the ball to Gray or Mabrey...oh yeah ;):rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
they didn't have an effective bench last year until Bay returned. Now they will have her soon, along with Clark and an improving Stokes.
Looks like George can contribute as well. She could be approximately like Plaisance, who was having a decent season until her minutes just about disappeared once Ruppert joined the team.

Reaction Score
Clark will have played 4 years. The whole core of players she spent her career at Iowa with will be done after next season. You really see her returning for a 5th year after that?
I think Clark just really likes Iowa personally so I could see her staying for a fifth year, not sure she will but I wouldn’t be shocked if she did.

Reaction Score
Remember, Big T left the game and didn't come back. Took away an offensive threat/presence down low. Gray threw Arike off a bit in the 2nd and Dallas had to hang on. I kept thinking, swing the ball to Gray or Mabrey...oh yeah ;):rolleyes:
If they swung the ball to Gray it would have looked like many Storm passes to a Vegas player.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Btw, this has nothing to do with today's game. If Seattle doesn't get Gabby back (and maybe even if they do), Indy will have more wins.
Yeah, Loyd is a nice player, but she can't carry a team by herself, and there isn't a whole lot else there. They sacrificed half a season of development by Ezi to bring in Charles last year, and that ended up getting them nothing. Good to have Russell back, but she's definitely in the complimentary player category. Decent debut for Horston, but her shooting numbers ended up being inefficient like Loyd's. I've been a big fan of Whitcomb, but I think her best days are behind her.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think Clark just really likes Iowa personally so I could see her staying for a fifth year, not sure she will but I wouldn’t be shocked if she did.
I really don't know, but I'd be surprised if she does return. Many thought Boston would come back for South Carolina, we all saw how that turned out.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So...Plum sneakily went on a scoring binge the last 3+ minutes to make it look like she had a good game, when she largely struggled after the first quarter. Stats don't lie though, right? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
that's your opinion but not one player that has been projected top pick has comeback for a 5th year, because it's exhausting being in school and this myth about Wnba being less than college needs to stop. Shoe endorsements alone make it a better reason to be a pro.
Yea but none of the top 5 picks were big NIL money makers anyways. Next year with Angel, Clark, Paige being the projected top picks I think you’ll see that trend change. Brink I’d imagine will leave but my guess is 2 if the 3 above will stay. Paige less so because of NIL and more so because I think she’s going to need another year coming back from an injury to be ready and I could see her not being a a projected top 5 pick. Paige will just be completing her fourth year of eligibility not her fifth, I don’t see Paige taking her fifth year.

Reaction Score
I really don't know, but I'd be surprised if she does return. Many thought Boston would come back for South Carolina, we all saw how that turned out.
Many thought Boston would return because of rumors that circulated before the tournament. Her and Dawn were both pretty clear before the season it was her last year.

Reaction Score
So...Plum sneakily went on a scoring binge the last 3+ minutes to make it look like she had a good game, when she largely struggled after the first quarter. Stats don't like though, right? :rolleyes:
She did that last year too. She was not looking to help Syd get in the scoring column like so many college teams do for their freshman & 5th year seniors who barely play.

Reaction Score
Yea but none of the top 5 picks were big NIL money makers anyways. Next year with Angel, Clark, Paige being the projected top picks I think you’ll see that trend change. Brink I’d imagine will leave but my guess is 2 if the 3 above will stay. Paige less so because of NIL and more so because I think she’s going to need another year coming back from an injury to be ready and I could see her not being a a projected top 5 pick. Paige will just be completing her fourth year of eligibility not her fifth, I don’t see Paige taking her fifth year.
not sure where you get this idea that Boston didn't get any Nil endorsements or even the Cavinders. College drains someone out, being there 5 years if you have a shot to be one of the best player sin the WNBA especially Paige who already had 2 serious injuries.

Reaction Score
not sure where you get this idea that Boston didn't get any Nil endorsements or even the Cavinders. College drains someone out, being there 5 years if you have a shot to be one of the best player sin the WNBA especially Paige who already had 2 serious injuries.
She was estimated to be making around 75k for NIL deals. Compared to Paige who was near a million, Flauj Johnson estimated near 2 million, Angel Reese whose likely over a million too. Azzi ranked in quite a lot and has her own shoe deal. So yea, I don’t think Miller, Boston, Siegrest are good comparisons to the decisions players next year will have to make. Especially considering how fickle WNBA contracts can be and for someone with an injury history like Paige that will have to be a big consideration.

Reaction Score
Minnesota’s backcourt is a whole mess. I wonder if they are gunning for one of the star guards in the 2024/2025 draft classes? Can’t think of another reason they built their roster like this.
I didn't think the backcourt was that bad. Just poor shot selection & a whole lot of standing around on offense. As for the gunning for one of the star guards in the 24-25 draft class. Anything is possible but I hope that Coach Reeves isn't going down that road. There is no guarantee on getting a top two pick in this league.

Reaction Score
I didn't think the backcourt was that bad. Just poor shot selection & a whole lot of standing around on offense. As for the gunning for one of the star guards in the 24-25 draft class. Anything is possible but I hope that Coach Reeves isn't going down that road. There is no guarantee on getting a top two pick in this league.

Collectively I don’t find the backcourt impressive at all for the Lynx. A lot of bad decision makers and not a lot of athleticism. It will be interesting if Lou can break into the rotation once she heals up.

Reaction Score
Collectively I don’t find the backcourt impressive at all for the Lynx. A lot of bad decision makers and not a lot of athleticism. It will be interesting if Lou can break into the rotation once she heals up.

I think you have teams confused. Lou is with Dallas, not Minnesota.

Reaction Score
She was estimated to be making around 75k for NIL deals. Compared to Paige who was near a million, Flauj Johnson estimated near 2 million, Angel Reese whose likely over a million too. Azzi ranked in quite a lot and has her own shoe deal. So yea, I don’t think Miller, Boston, Siegrest are good comparisons to the decisions players next year will have to make. Especially considering how fickle WNBA contracts can be and for someone with an injury history like Paige that will have to be a big consideration.
so you're saying that every decision will be based on money and not actually competing vs the best?

Reaction Score
so you're saying that every decision will be based on money and not actually competing vs the best?
I’m not saying that at all. If Caitlyn Clark came back for example I think it would be because she loved playing for Iowa and in Iowa and this would be her last opportunity for the rest of her life to play in her home state. I think she’d value that more than

If Paige came back I also don’t think money would be the driving factor. There are other factors that might be more important than playing versus the best one year earlier.

Net net some players might feel like they got everything out of their four year some players might feel they have more to get after just four. It’s not all about money but they money is additional incentive - especially when you have a reputation for being injury prone and don’t know how long you’re playing career will last. Have to maximize income while you can.

Reaction Score
Why do WNBA & women's college basketball do such a horrible job at time, score, and foul management? Yet another example was in yesterday's Dream game, where at the end of the 3rd with very little difference between the game & shot clocks, AD fires a contested 15 footer with 16 seconds to go, they get the offensive rebound turning the shot clock off & Aari (when she was shooting very porly from outside) launches a 3 with 10 seconds to go. To exacerbate the mistakes, McDonald (dreadful performance, but I think she will have a solid season) commits a loose ball foul (with Dallas in the bonus) with under 3 seconds when Kuier would have had virtually no time for a reasonably makeable shot. Washington was shooting too quickly at the end of their game vs. NY with a nice cushion. It didn't impact the outcome, but why increase your opponent's win probability from 3% to 7%?

Caitlin Clark is one of the exceptions -- since college basketball doesn't stop the clock for made field goals in the final minute of the 1st 3 quarters, if the other team makes a shot with say 36 seconds -- she will delay inbounding the ball and let the inbounds pass roll until the game clock is under 30 seconds to enable Iowa to take the last shot.

The blueprint from the NBA has been there for decades and they are continually fine-tuning the strategy (recently with inbound rolls); it's very surprising that a Hammond, Tolliver, Parker, C Ogwumike, etc. (and Laimbeer & Cooper recently) haven't implemented it into the women's game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog