WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 7 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who is the Fever's backup 1? Wheeler did not have a great year for the Dream last year -- had some quality performances late though.

Kristy Wallace and/or Grace Berger, I suppose.

Their roster still sits at 14, so at least 2 more cuts are expected. I’d say Victaria Saxton might be one, can’t predict who the other will be.

9E525DC0-FB7D-4125-84D8-4F4B7FF9A177.jpeg

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Ok, so this isn't perfect, but here are all the draft picks as of now, with waived or not appearing on rosters, with shading. More to come, probably, and I think Rebecca Lobo had a point of allowing teams to protect 2 players, keep them on "reserve". That's 24 more spots.
1684258227544.png

Reaction Score
Kristy Wallace and/or Grace Berger, I suppose.

Their roster still sits at 14, so at least 2 more cuts are expected. I’d say Victaria Saxton might be one, can’t predict who the other will be.

View attachment 88249
You're right. I wasn't thinking Kristy because last year Erica & Aari played point, but she definitely played point for Kim. For some reason I thought Chloe played point for IU, but that was mostly when Grace was injured and some possessions to keep Grace fresh.

Reaction Score
Monika being cut is not a surprise she was awful in the title game. Alexis Morris is a surprise. Beal as much I enjoyed her game, she just doesn't have the offense to last.

Reaction Score
Ok, so this isn't perfect, but here are all the draft picks as of now, with waived or not appearing on rosters, with shading. More to come, probably, and I think Rebecca Lobo had a point of allowing teams to protect 2 players, keep them on "reserve". That's 24 more spots.
View attachment 88250
I didn't realize leigha brown got waved. Shout out to Taylor Soule. She has a shot at making the team. I saw her play at BC. She always played so hard.

Reaction Score
View attachment 88250
I don’t even understand the purpose of having a 3rd round except for show. I know that some 3rd round picks have made teams, and even excelled, but it’s few and far between. It’s also unrealistic to say the W needs 36 rookies, that’s 25% of the famous 144 roster spots. And the 144 is more like 132 with cap space.

It’s so hard to make a roster if you aren’t a top 10 pick. Based on the roster sizes, you can almost guarantee 50% of rookies won’t make rosters. Then it boils down to two things. Are you an irreplaceable talent? Or are you a really good fit for our existing roster makeup?

Rookies are also at a disadvantage, because they are fighting for the last roster spots with players who’ve never made the W, but have had 1-2 years of overseas experience to try to prepare or players clinging to that final roster spot with proven WNBA performances. It’s just mayhem. We see so many really talented college players never appear at the next level.

I’d be curious to see a list of the top 48 active wbb players not on rosters come opening day. Expanding the league by 4 teams, and spread out the top end talent. I bet the depth of players is there to make it work on the court. Off the court is a completely different debacle $$$

Reaction Score

Which brings them to 10. Guessing they will claim someone off waivers. Teams have gone fewer than 10 (eg., Phoenix late last year), but that is usually after injuries and other factors that cause the attrition.

I really liked Clouden at MSU and thought she had WNBA potential (1st rounder last year), but she looked overmatched when I saw her last year. I was hoping that she would make the year 2 leap like Dijonai, but not to be.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Very interesting decisions.

I like Jazmine Jones hustle, enthusiasm, work ethic, etc. but she has had difficulty latching on in her brief career (OTOH, teams keep affording her opportunities). Don't know much about Ming nor MHA's health (obviously, if she's good to go, she's a keeper).

Maternity leave is a roster exemption. I really think that Soule would be a good 11th or 12th player on that team, but I fear that the numbers game will work against her. I would definitely waive 1 or 2 of the 4 veterans that you mentioned.
- Lynx. Interesting that we've been discussing Engstler. In regards to the Lynx, Soule has a lot of EE's tenaciousness on 50/50's, both on the floor and rebounds. And she'll stick her nose in on defense. I'm still thinking one of those cuts will be either Milic or Dantas, but here's another thought -- with Miller aboard, Reeves now has a slew of wings, with Carleton and Powers. Could she pull the trigger on one of them?

- Dallas Wings. You know when you have a screw that doesn't quite fit in a hole? You try different drill bits or "plastic wood" to make it fit, but it just does not work? I feel like GM Greg Bibb is insisting Charli Collier is going to become that #1 choice he made, fit or not.
Obviously, he'll need a back-up for McCowan, but Kalani Brown could just as easily spell Big T (on the other hand has she improved?). I haven't seen marked (any?) improvement states-side by CC, but looks like she could stick. And that means Brown is probably gone. Lou's injured. However, there's no exemption for that, is there? If not, I think Joens and Dickey fight for the last slot.

- Regarding the Fever, while it's pretty obvious Wallace followed the new coach north, Grace Berger is much more of a natural floor leader. Plus, she can swing over to the shooting guard slot. Plus plus, she's the local kid!! To me, Wallace, Hull and Mikesell are competing for slots.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Which brings them to 10. Guessing they will claim someone off waivers. Teams have gone fewer than 10 (eg., Phoenix late last year), but that is usually after injuries and other factors that cause the attrition.

I really liked Clouden at MSU and thought she had WNBA potential (1st rounder last year), but she looked overmatched when I saw her last year. I was hoping that she would make the year leap like Dijonai, but not to be.

Clouden's gone? Could use an accurate long-range shooter; perhaps a tall wing that got cut. Keep an eye on cuts from Minnesota (if next one is a wing) or that slew of shooters concentrated in Dallas. Abby Meyers or Ashley Joens?

If I'm reading right, looks like Lauren Cox could stick with the Sun. Imagine if she finally landed in Connecticut!

Reaction Score
CT waived Jayla & Nia to get to 11. They have 4 monster contrnd a couple other decent sized ones.
At 11 players, both Olivia Nelson-Ododa and Lauren Cox survived roster cuts by the Sun. ONO I was pretty sure about but Cox is somewhat of a surprise. In Minnesota, Soule has impacted the games in preseason while Beal was a ton-factor. Not really a surprise they cut Beal. I think Milic is next. to be cut by Minnesota because Dorka is so much more versatile and a much better rebounder. She could be starter for them later in the season.

Reaction Score
- Lynx. Interesting that we've been discussing Engstler. In regards to the Lynx, Soule has a lot of EE's tenaciousness on 50/50's, both on the floor and rebounds. And she'll stick her nose in on defense. I'm still thinking one of those cuts will be either Milic or Dantas, but here's another thought -- with Miller aboard, Reeves now has a slew of wings, with Carleton and Powers. Could she pull the trigger on one of them?

- Wings. You know when you have a screw that doesn't quite fit in a hole? You try different drill bits or "plastic wood" to make it fit, but it just does not work? I feel like GM Greg Bibb is insisting Charli Collier is going to become that #1 choice he made, fit or not.
Obviously, he'll need a back-up for McCowan, but Kalani Brown could just as easily spell Big T. I haven't seen marked (any?) improvement states-side by CC, but looks like she'll stick. And that means Collier is probably gone. Lou's injured. However, there's no exemption for that, is there? If not, I think Joens and Dickey fight for the last slot.

- Regarding the Fever, while it's pretty obvious Wallace followed the new coach north, Grace Berger is much more of a natural floor leader. Plus, she can swing over to the shooting guard slot. Plus plus, she's the local kid!! To me, Wallace, Hull and Mikesell are competing for slots.

Reaction Score
Soule's transfer to VT allowed her to change her mentality and showcase her value as a role player. I think she would be a great 10th, 11th, 12th player for team culture as well. I think Milic is the most redundant on the team, making her expendable. I cannot envision pulling the trigger on Powers after her performances last year.

I like Kalani as a backup 5 more. Also, even though they are both far from natural posts, both Kuier & Sabally have the size to play there in a pinch for short periods of time.

Berger will undoubtedly help with attendance and media ratings. It's looking like the 3 brought from Atlanta will all stick in Indy.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
At 11 players, both Olivia Nelson-Ododa and Lauren Cox survived roster cuts by the Sun. ONO I was pretty sure about but Cox is somewhat of a surprise. In Minnesota, Soule has impacted the games in preseason while Beal was a ton-factor. Not really a surprise they cut Beal. I think Milic is next. to be cut by Minnesota because Dorka is so much more versatile and a much better rebounder. She could be starter for them later in the season.
- Sun: Word out of Europe was how Cox's hard work was showing results. Little bit of a Gustafsson approach: keep improving and use the E-leagues to develop.

- Minnesota. We're in agreement on Soule who is a slightly smaller version of Engstler. Milic or Dantas will battle for that last spot. Both can get streaky on offense, which is good. Dorka's game, now that I think about it, has some similarities to Jessica Shepard, who is starting. Very versatile. Dorka might be a better defender, but Shepard moves well, rebounds and outlets like Kevin Love and is a superb passer. Those two will play well with Pheese.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

In addition to all the cuts, this has just been announced.
So, Dearica Hamby spoke truth when that trade went down.
And the Golden Coach spoke some not-so-nice things during all of it. While the Aces lost a first-rounder, they were pretty vague in regards to Coach H and the Players Association pointed that out. Hmm....things ain't so sunny in Vegas. :cool:.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
- Sun: Word out of Europe was how Cox's hard work was showing results. Little bit of a Gustafsson approach: keep improving and use the E-leagues to develop.

- Minnesota. We're in agreement on Soule who is a slightly smaller version of Engstler. Milic or Dantas will battle for that last spot. Both can get streaky on offense, which is good. Dorka's game, now that I think about it, has some similarities to Jessica Shepard, who is starting. Very versatile. Dorka might be a better defender, but Shepard moves well, rebounds and outlets like Kevin Love and is a superb passer. Those two will play well with Pheese.
Hard to believe, but Cox led her Spanish League team in 3pt attempts and 3 pointers made. This was for both the Spanish Endessa League and Euro League games.
For the Spanish League she was 55 for 142 @38.7%
For the Euroleague games(much tougher overall competion) she was 29 for 81 @35.8%
So she becomes a tough player to guard if you leave her open outside the arc.
However, there were many games I barely noticed her, 12 games under 10 points in the Spanish league games. That is 12 of 36 games, she didnt produce, IMO.
Cox averages 12 ppg averaged about 5 rpg, overall in 25mpg

As for Gustafsson
She played in the Greece top league.
She averaged 21.3 ppg in 27mpg in Greece league games
She averaged 22.4 ppg in 33mpg in Euroleague games.
She averaged around 9 rpg
Every time I saw her play she busted her butt on the entire court. That was this past year in Greece and the previous year in Poland.
If I had to choose one or the other, to come off the bench, give me Gustafsson

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
My meaning is some resellers have no idea how to price things. I looked for MLB spring training tickets this past season and tickets were priced very variably with some sellers thinking there was no limit to what someone would pay (price inelasticity). Far from a perfect or beautiful economic demonstration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom