WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 49 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Um yes, because I was referring to the Aces in response to another comment wishing the Finals was a sweep instead of 4 games.
My bad. I was too quick and saw what I wanted to see. My first thought was that if the Liberty were gritty, what would that make the Sun?

Reaction Score
Liberty looked tired the entire series, especially Stewart. Instead of grinding last night, they mostly took the easy way out and put up jump shots, even though they were shooting a horrible percentage. Liberty should have used the bench more.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Yes, I'm sure Stewart was tired after a long season, but there was actually A LOT of rest for both teams in between the semifinals and finals and in between each finals game [if there had been a game 5, that would have been the quickest turnaround of the series].

Jones and Stewart never stopped playing hard or rebounding, but when your two MVP posts go a combined 6-25 from the field and total just 16pts, it's tough to win even against an undermanned Aces team. The Liberty needed just one of them to have a good (not even great) offensive game, but both struggled mightedly--Jones for the first time all playoffs, and Stewart continued her shooting woes. Credit to the Aces, but I remain genuinely shocked that Stewart shot 3-17 in a playoff elimination game. Even the superstars are not immortal.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Yes, I'm sure Stewart was tired after a long season, but there was actually A LOT of rest for both teams in between the semifinals and finals and in between each finals game [if there had been a game 5, that would have been the quickest turnaround of the series].

Jones and Stewart never stopped playing hard or rebounding, but when your two MVP posts go a combined 6-25 from the field and total just 16pts, it's tough to win even against an undermanned Aces team. The Liberty needed just one of them to have a good (not even great) offensive game, but both struggled mightedly--Jones for the first time all playoffs, and Stewart continued her shooting woes. Credit to the Aces, but I remain genuinely shocked that Stewart shot 3-17 in a playoff elimination game. Even the superstars are not immortal.
Honestly they didn't even need either to have a good game. Just 1 bucket by anyone was the difference. Just goes to show how Vegas had zero business being in this game (let alone winning) considering both of NYs MVPs didn't produce offensively, and they still lost by just 1.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Honestly they didn't even need either to have a good game. Just 1 bucket by anyone was the difference. Just goes to show how Vegas had zero business being in this game (let alone winning) considering both of NYs MVPs didn't produce offensively, and they still lost by just 1.
It was almost like an (im)perfect storm had to hit for Vegas to skootch by. But they did.
  • Said shooting performances. Even one or two makes by Stewie or JJ and could be different.
  • All of us were screaming as George hoisted up all those (missed) three's in the first half. But the two made three''s in the third were very, very helpful.
  • Heck, even Stef's two missed free throws (she's a very good FT shooter normally) were part of the storm.

Sometimes you just play the game that's happening, as my favorite lacrosse coach once said. It may not be what you planning or pretty, but adjust and keep going.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Yeah, only 1 more bucket by Stewie or JJ, but...if a few of Plum's 3s that rattled out had gone in...The if only game is endless.
And you just added to it, like I did ;)

It was certainly not a well-played game technically, but it was compelling. Really good theater.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

During NY's press conference I wasn't sure whether the decision to have only Stewart and Sloot was intentional. Turns out it was but not for the reason I thought. This is disappointing to see.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

During NY's press conference I wasn't sure whether the decision to have only Stewart and Sloot was intentional. Turns out it was but not for the reason I thought. This is disappointing to see.
Well, it seems like Sloot, Stewie and Brondello were fulfilling responsibilities, but others weren't:

"According to WNBA rules, each team's coach and two players must attend the postgame news conference, and additional players requested by the media are required to be available in a different location.

"Liberty players Sabrina Ionescu, Jonquel Jones and Betnijah Laney also were fined $2,000 each by the league for turning down media requests for interviews."

Reaction Score
I am generally not a fan of players or coaches who won't deal with the press after a loss of a game or series. I get they are disappointed but part of being a professional athlete is being gracious in defeat as well as victory.
for normal games, I agree. But where we are talking about loss of a championship, I can sympathize with the players. There's a lot of emotion there that maybe we don't need to see. Looks like Sloot showed up and I really applaud her. That had to be tough for her.

Anyway, that's the rules. If the players' union feels different they can work on changing it.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Post-Season Notes on New York Liberty
by Richard Cohen of HerHoopsStats

Exec. Summary:

2024 draft picks: The Liberty have all their own 2024 draft picks, including a first-rounder that will be No. 11 overall. They also have an extra second-rounder from Chicago thanks to the four-team Michaela Onyenwere trade back in February.

Free agents: Jonquel Jones (uncoreable unrestricted free agent), Breanna Stewart (UFA), Stefanie Dolson (UFA), Jocelyn Willoughby (RFA), Marine Johannès (Reserved), Han Xu (Suspended-Contract Expired)

Under contract: Sabrina Ionescu, Courtney Vandersloot, Betnijah Laney, Kayla Thornton, Nyara Sabally

Some Dillon thoughts:
- This team could look different -- very different -- next year. Getting JJ and Stewie back would seem to be the paramount issues at play. However, JJ had a chance to sign an extension and chose not to.
Cohen seems to think Johannes will miss next season due to the Olympics and that Hu (Olympics, lack of PT) and Dolson (cap casualty) won't be back.

- Needs. Well, besides all that, some more shooters, but so much depends on what's left after Stewie and JJ -- or a replacement for one of them -- sign for.

- What does everyone else think?

Reaction Score
Well, it seems like Sloot, Stewie and Brondello were fulfilling responsibilities, but others weren't:

"According to WNBA rules, each team's coach and two players must attend the postgame news conference, and additional players requested by the media are required to be available in a different location.

"Liberty players Sabrina Ionescu, Jonquel Jones and Betnijah Laney also were fined $2,000 each by the league for turning down media requests for interviews."

Should have phrased that better. My post was more about those who declined to participate when asked.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Should have phrased that better. My post was more about those who declined to participate when asked.
Wasn't sure, so I just filled in the blanks (was a copy editor for awhile a (long) ways back. Can't help myself ;))

Reaction Score
for normal games, I agree. But where we are talking about loss of a championship, I can sympathize with the players. There's a lot of emotion there that maybe we don't need to see. Looks like Sloot showed up and I really applaud her. That had to be tough for her.

Anyway, that's the rules. If the players' union feels different they can work on changing it.

I get your point, but this comes with the territory in professional sports, especially when the media requests their participation.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
In my mind the Liberty should try to run it back. The Aces had a heartbreaking loss in the semis at home to Phoenix and a sweep in the finals by Seattle before they broke through for their back to back championships.

For whatever reason, the Liberty too often seemed tentative, nervous, without and edge during the finals. I would think the significant sting of this loss will motivate them throughout the offseason. Plus, I think another full season together, if possible, will improve chemistry and set them up for greater gains.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If Jones bothered to show i would have asked her what it was like letting your team down in the final game again. And does she plan on shooting her way out of town again.

Reaction Score
If Jones bothered to show i would have asked her what it was like letting your team down in the final game again. And does she plan on shooting her way out of town again.
And here is a perfect example of why I would be willing to relieve the player on the losing team in the championship game from facing the press.

Jonquel carried the team up till that final loss.

Reaction Score
And here is a perfect example of why I would be willing to relieve the player on the losing team in the championship game from facing the press.

Jonquel carried the team up till that final loss.

There's a difference here. That comment isn't something I see the press asking. I thought the press were very tactful in their questions to the Liberty.

Reaction Score
In my mind the Liberty should try to run it back. The Aces had a heartbreaking loss in the semis at home to Phoenix and a sweep in the finals by Seattle before they broke through for their back to back championships.

For whatever reason, the Liberty too often seemed tentative, nervous, without and edge during the finals. I would think the significant sting of this loss will motivate them throughout the offseason. Plus, I think another full season together, if possible, will improve chemistry and set them up for greater gains.

Per a tweet I saw from exit interviews, it's very possible. Stewart is expecting to be cored and stated she doesn't have intentions to play anywhere else.

Reaction Score

The players, especially the so-called leaders of the team, have to step up and give the media 5-10 minutes of your time. It is part of being a professional. Plus, it is part of growing the game. The media folks don't have jobs without the players and the players can't grow the game or build their brand without the media.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Very interesting comments from Kelsey Plum: Kelsey Plum on Aces' title: Building a superteam 'takes years'

"And there was a lot of years that we weren’t so super. But you can’t build a superteam in a couple of months. It takes years.”

Plum also questioned New York’s team mentality, not just its superteam credentials.

“We also knew that, as much as they’re a team, they’re not a team, if that makes sense,” she told Yahoo Sports. “They’re really good individual players, but they don’t care about each other. And you can tell in those moments. They revert back to individual basketball.”

Update: KP already walking it back/clarifying on twitter: https://x.com/Kelseyplum10/status/1715379479768637931?s=20

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The players, especially the so-called leaders of the team, have to step up and give the media 5-10 minutes of your time. It is part of being a professional. Plus, it is part of growing the game. The media folks don't have jobs without the players and the players can't grow the game or build their brand without the media.
Yeah I feel like especially a team such as NY whose players have likely benefitted the most this season with media coverage and exposure. That's it's a little hypocritical to avoid it when it doesn't go their way.

I think of a team like Connecticut whose often underexposed by the media and they still go out there and speak, when they have a more valid reason to not wanting to help the media out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom