With College Football Playoff change looming, a 12-team model leads the way (Yahoo/Thamel) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

With College Football Playoff change looming, a 12-team model leads the way (Yahoo/Thamel)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

-> A 12-team playoff is a good idea. It could potentially be a great idea. To get to great, something would need to give. For the sake of the players, the powers that be would have to do something they are intrinsically opposed to doing—scaling back to go bigger. Downsize the pre-playoff in order to expand the playoff.

Specifically, take one game off the schedule. Don’t steal what little time football athletes now have in December to breathe, to heal, to maybe even pursue the quaint notion of focusing on finals for a week. <-

Pat Forde!? This dude sucks…. Not forgetting his stupid hit piece on UConn athletics last summer.

This format will lead to what, one or two extra games for just a few schools. That’s the beauty of the 12 team format, four teams get a bye! Hello Pat?!

I’m sure 95% of the kids in position to play those extra games are going to love it. To truly play extra games it would mean winning in round one and two, not many schools are likely to do that in today’s college football.

The training is brutal - the games are the reward. The older you get the more distant you seem to be from this simple fact for the players. And if kids want to sit and preserve their health for the draft that is fine. That is why the roster is 85 and not 50. When a kid sits another one lands an opportunity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

-> How would 12 teams work? The basic thought is automatic bids for the five major conferences — which also juices up their league title games as play-in games — and one for the highest ranked Group of Five champion. The other six spots would be at-large bids. That gives automatic bids to some of the have-nots and more potential spots for the more powerful leagues, and compromise is important in a vote where consensus is needed.

The details of how those 11 games in a 12-team system would unfold will still need to be worked out in upcoming months. But the thought is that the first four teams would get a bye and teams No. 5 to No. 8 would host teams No. 9 through 12 at home sites. (This could, of course, irk teams that finished higher and don’t get the big gate, memorable experience and home-field advantage of a playoff game.) <-

Does not matter to UCONN. We will never see it.

Reaction Score
Last year, the Pac 12 Champion Oregon finished #25 in the polls.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nobody cares but it’s pretty nuts UConn voluntarily wound up making it way harder to ever make the playoff by leaving the AAC

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

If this means 1) no more selection committee (Probably doesn't), and 2) that Notre Dame has to be ranked #12 at a minimum and still not be guaranteed a spot, then I think it's a start.

Caveat #2, with NDs following (i.e. money) and disbanding of the selection committee an improbability, they are most likely in the Playoff in that scenario.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is basically the main thing that I was concerned about with going Independent - access (even just in perception) to the playoff.

At 4 or even 6 teams, there still wouldn't have been a chance in hell. But at 12? With the 6 top rated conference champions there could have been a punchers chance in hell.

Drew

Reaction Score
This is amazing for the sport as a whole if it happens. Kudos to the CFP committee for going big to get it right. This is going to be awesome

Reaction Score
I haven't seen anything yet, but I would not be shocked if Notre Dame gets some kind of exception for not being in a conference since their AD is on the committee working on this.

I cannot see Notre Dame just being OK with not having title to the top 6 conference champion group auto bid, unless they are comfortable based on past outcomes that they should haven't issue getting in as at large because of brand name.

Drew

Reaction Score
I haven't seen anything yet, but I would not be shocked if Notre Dame gets some kind of exception for not being in a conference since their AD is on the committee working on this.

I cannot see Notre Dame just being OK with not having title to the top 6 conference champion group auto bid, unless they are comfortable based on past outcomes that they should haven't issue getting in as at large because of brand name.
Its worth noting Forde tweeted top 4 conference champions will get the byes too. So ND would’ve hosted Coastal in the first round last year despite being ranked fourth.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Here's an exemption, have at least 10 P5 wins

Reaction Score
Its worth noting Forde tweeted top 4 conference champions will get the byes too. So ND would’ve hosted Coastal in the first round last year despite being ranked fourth.
Yea exactly. I should have clarified, a good ND team is getting in conference or not, but the issue is that first round bye. Do they get ACC "bye access" if and when Clemson is not the juggernaut it is today in a decade from now? I bet their AD pushed hard for it. Fair or not.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Nobody cares but it’s pretty nuts UConn voluntarily wound up making it way harder to ever make the playoff by leaving the AAC
You don't live here, so you just don't get how much the CT fanbase loathed the AAC. Nothing was going to change that. Six years in and there would be big time college sports fans in my office that still couldnt name more than three teams in the AAC. And these are the kinds of people with season tickets to the Knicks, buyers of courtside seats for the Jimmy V classic, people that fly to the super bowls....etc. The AAC brand had no local traction.

But now you tell them its Nova - UConn or St John - UConn and their ears perk up. They get those teams, even if they think those schools aren't really big time anymore. The BE has schools that are relatable to UConn fans even if its not the same it was 20 years ago. SMU, ECU, Tulsa, Memphis was not the right company for UConn to hang with...it didn't work.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
State this after an 11-0 Bama team sits 1/2 their starters in an SECCG and gets an 8-4 Florida
You're really arguing that Bama won't get an at large bid being 11-1? If 8-4 Florida beats 11-0 Bama then yes Florida should get in regardless of who starts for Bama. Bama is ESPN's darling so they'll get an at large bid because I doubt there is going to be a higher ranked team than Bama that isn't a conference champ at that point. Every other level of football has autobids for conference champs, it's downright ridiculous and complete moronic not to include every conference champ in the playoffs. You're stupid if you believe that autobids should be included in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
In the 2010 season when UConn made it to the Fiesta Bowl, using the final regular season AP Poll to rank teams, UConn (25) would have been the 8th highest ranked conference champion behind the SEC (1), MWC (3), Pac12 (2), Big 10 (4), ACC (12), Big 12 (9), and WAC (10). And, they would not have gotten an at-large bid. The playoff would have been made up of teams ranked 1-12.

Last year is interesting because of 2 non P-5 schools would have gotten one of the 6 top conference bids, Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina. The top 12 teams would have made the playoff, but the Pac 12 was out of the playoff. They played a shortened season, so hard to say the data point is solid.

End of the day, it looks like the top 12 teams will make the playoff (sometimes the top 11 plus an outlier conference champ) and UConn has about the same chance of making the playoff as an Indy or in the AAC.

Reaction Score
A lot to digest in this (including breakdown of each committee by name):

->The working group was appointed by their management committee colleagues and has met over a two-year period to discuss possible new formats. The proposal calls for the bracket each year to include the six highest-ranked conference champions, plus the six highest-ranked other teams as determined by the College Football Playoff selection committee. No conference would qualify automatically and there would be no limit on the number of participants from a conference.

The four highest-ranked conference champions would be seeded one through four and each would receive a first-round bye, while teams seeded five through 12 would play each other in the first round on the home field of the higher-ranked team. (The team ranked #5 would host #12; team #6 would meet team #11; team #7 would play team #10; and team #8 would meet #9.) Under the proposal, the quarterfinals and semifinals would be played in bowl games. The championship game would continue to be at a neutral site, as under the current format.

The four members of the working group (Big 12 Conference Commissioner Bob Bowlsby, Southeastern Conference Commissioner Greg Sankey, Mountain West Conference Commissioner Craig Thompson, and Notre Dame Athletics Director Jack Swarbrick) presented their recommendation today during a virtual meeting of the full management committee that administers the CFP.

The CFP management committee members are Mike Aresco, commissioner, American Athletic Conference; Bob Bowlsby, commissioner, Big 12 Conference; Keith Gill, commissioner, Sun Belt Conference; Judy MacLeod, commissioner, Conference USA; Jim Phillips, commissioner, Atlantic Coast Conference; Greg Sankey, commissioner, Southeastern Conference; Larry Scott, commissioner, Pacific-12 Conference; John Steinbrecher, commissioner, Mid-American Conference; Jack Swarbrick, athletics director, Notre Dame; Craig Thompson, commissioner, Mountain West Conference; Kevin Warren, commissioner, Big Ten Conference.

The next step in the process is for the 11-member management committee to review the recommendation at its upcoming meeting in Chicago June 17-18.<-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom