With a heavy heart, I'm saddened to report the passing of the patriarch of the DM family | The Boneyard

With a heavy heart, I'm saddened to report the passing of the patriarch of the DM family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With a heavy heart, I want to share with my Boneyard family that Patriarch of the DM family passed away this morning. He was a World War II vet who would have turned 93 this coming August. My daughter, son and I were schedule to visit him in Montgomery AL at the end of the month. He lived a long a happy life. We had thought we lost him about 6 weeks ago, but he bounced back like one of our great UConn point guards, and actually played golf a couple times before he went into the hospital again. Team DogNabbit, the two time Boneyard Classic champions, thanks partly to my high handicap, ;) would have been proud to have him on our team. Even in his 90s, I'm pretty sure I still would not have been able to beat him. By the way, he too was a writer, for those wondering where my propensity for long posts comes from.

I was afraid that he was going to pass away yesterday, the same day we received the wonderful news that Sterling Gibbs chose UConn for his 5th and final year. I didn't want to cast any sadness to what was a happy day for Husky Nation. Since I knew what was looming, it did understandably take some of the joy personally out of the Gibbs' news.

One quick story that I felt might bring a smile to some since we all have dads and hopeful fond memories: Many years ago back when I was a teenager, I walked into the house holding this long aluminum handle and proceeded to tell my Dad that the rest of the roof rake was stuck on the roof and that bolt and wing nut that held it to the other end were missing somewhere in the deep snow. Somewhat angry he said, "You should have made sure the wing nut was tightened!" I then asked him, "Well how did you know that?" He paused and then replied, "Because the same thing happened to me!" We both began to laugh, realizing how funny that whole situation and conversation went down.

Like all Dads, he wasn't perfect. But he was a good husband to my mom, and after she passed, to his current widow, a good dad, and a very good man. He will be missed.

Anyhow, I wanted to share this news with my fellow Boneyard friends. Similar to family where you share happy and sad times, don't always get along, though usually do, the Boneyard is like a second family to many of us. My immediate family and most of my extended family aren't UConn fans, so it's here where I go to share my thoughts, feelings, impeccably accurate analysis :rolleyes:, and rare but occasional crow eating, the few times I'm...gulp...well...wrong, when it comes to all things UConn Hoops.

I'm now looking forward to the 2015/16 team raise up banner #5 on the walls of HGP to turn the page on what was a challenging year for our team and household, and to a new one filled with great celebration. Okay, 2015 wasn't all that bad. The Pats, who are my and my Dad's team, took the air out of other NFL teams by becoming XLIX Super Bowl champs. Don't anyone dare add a negative Pats' deflategate reply to this thread! This one is all about my dad. Yeah, that's a low blow for those Patriot Haters, but deal!! :D

Reaction Score
My sincere condolences. Lets go get that #5 for you and all our Dad husky fans out there!

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear the news, our condolences to you and your whole family.
A writer.... Hmmm. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear about the passing of your father.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My condolences to you and your family. Sounds like you and your dad had a great relationship. That can never be taken away from you.

And I second the Boneyard family sentiment. Wrote a long post of my own saying the same thing about the same time you wrote this post.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
My sincere condolences DM. I lost my dad in October (heart attack at only 66) and it's been tough. Awesome that your dad was playing golf and enjoying every day in his 90's. May we all be so lucky. Gods speed father of dogmania

Reaction Score
My condolences' to you and your family Dog. You are definitely part of this family.

Reaction Score
I'm really sorry for your loss Dog he sounds like he was a special man.
Anytime we lose someone from the greatest generation , it's a loss for all of us.
The hardships they endured in the Great Depression and WWII make us all indebted to them.
The fact that he was still hitting the ball at his age,is an inspiration ,to .
us hackers. Knowing that I still may have 20 years to hit my age and garner a few aces. will keep me motivated.

Reaction Score
Please accept my deepest sympathy. It's never easy to lose a parent.

Reaction Score
Sorry for your loss DM. Condolences to you and your family. Loved that snow rake story.

Reaction Score
So sorry; my condolences to you and yours. My father is 91 and hanging on but we know his time is short. Many great things and stories.Good man also a WWII vet; fought in the Philippines and Guam. Like all of us he had his shortcomings but I took his good stuff to be the best dad I could be. Again sorry for your loss.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Condolences on your loss. Survivors of The Depression, heroes home and abroad in WW II and builders of the American Dream. They were the greatest generation, IMO

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Very sorry to hear about your loss DM. He seems like he had a great life.

Reaction Score
My condolences to you and your family. Sounds like you and your dad had a great relationship. That can never be taken away from you.

And I second the Boneyard family sentiment. Wrote a long post of my own saying the same thing about the same time you wrote this post.
Yeah, I remember that. Thanks for the kind words.

Reaction Score
My sincere condolences DM. I lost my dad in October (heart attack at only 66) and it's been tough. Awesome that your dad was playing golf and enjoying every day in his 90's. May we all be so lucky. Gods speed father of dogmania
Within the last year, there has been a few of us who have lost our dads or even a child, which is infinitely much harder. I'm sorry for you loss as well. Thanks for the kind words.

Reaction Score
Very sorry to hear DM, your family is in my thoughts.
Thanks, Carl. Much appreciated from a good long time Husky friend! I remember you helping your mom who had some health challenges if I remember correctly.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear the news, our condolences to you and your whole family.
A writer.... Hmmm. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Thanks, DPSr! I miss our occasional chats when I used to stop by your desk, though I'm sure retirement outweighs that by leaps and bounds. :)

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to you and all of his family and friends. That is a great heart-warming story about the roof rake. Reminds me of my Dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom