Wisky stupidity + refs blown calls= Duke win | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wisky stupidity + refs blown calls= Duke win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was that view the one that the refs see? Because other than that view I can understand how they may not have had enough

They blew it, saw everything we did. It's unbelievable they came out of there with that call - incredible.

Reaction Score
My point is both teams wanted it. Upstater said Duke wanted it more. Thats ridiculous! Thats all i meant. All this other crap has nothing to do with what i said. Unless im completely missing something.
I agree with that. I was just saying that in a reference to basketball

Reaction Score
Duke foul trouble won them the game.

Yeah because the fouls went the other way in the 2nd half for K. Made me real nervous that UW only 2 fouls at the half as you knew the 2nd half wasn't going to be pretty!

Reaction Score
What floors me is the fact you have 3 referees huddle around what, a 14" monitor to look at a replay..Did Winslow tip the ball? They said no, and their opinion is the one that matters. But he did touch the ball, and to those of us watching the replay on 46" HDTVs, this was obvious. So, why wouldn't you send the call up to a media room to have a ref watch the damn play on a screen large enough to ... you know ... utilize the HD video the game is shot in?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How many times have I said this year, and this tournament, that the officiating was not just bad, but seemed to have an agenda? Was there any chance that Wisconsin was going to be the beneficiary of all the bad calls? Of course not. The Duke/Gonzaga game was worse. Winslow ran around the court like a free safety tackling people in that game, and only picked up 3 fouls. College basketball was unwatchable at times this year, and this is the worst officiated tournament I can ever remember.

This is part of why I am increasingly gravitating to the NBA. There are superstar calls in the League, but there are so many stars now, it seems fairly balanced for the most part, not the absurd charade that college hoops has become.

Reaction Score
The second half was unbearable. Jones flops and gets the call. Winslow should have fouled out with two charges not called. The replay that wasn't overturned and should have been. Jones jumping into and elbowing the Wisconsin player in the face and getting the call. Duke played well, the refs didn't hand it to them, but they made it very difficult on Wisconsin.

It's easy (and lazy) to say "Duke wanted it more", when only one team is forced to adjust to the way the game is being called.

Reaction Score
Officiating was so awful! Winslow blatantly charged twice, with 3 fouls already. Just dribbled directly into a defender, he didnt find a pocket and the defender tried to close too late, he decided, I can jump THRU this defender, and twice they didnt' make the right call. So that's Winslow, one of 3 Duke players who could actually do anything who should have been on the bench in foul trouble. Then there was the out of bounds that wasn't called, then there was the fingertip on the ball called the wrong way...

So those 4 major calls in the last like 5 minutes, to me decided the game. I would have been upset if Duke won in any way, but this was so pathetic. How many points did they get off of Jones flopping early in the 2nd half? Kid is a joke

Reaction Score
What floors me is the fact you have 3 referees huddle around what, a 14" monitor to look at a replay..Did Winslow tip the ball? They said no, and their opinion is the one that matters. But he did touch the ball, and to those of us watching the replay on 46" HDTVs, this was obvious. So, why wouldn't you send the call up to a media room to have a ref watch the damn play on a screen large enough to ... you know ... utilize the HD video the game is shot in?

Agreed, I think they need a ref at the scorers table with access to all angles in super slow mo and HD. Have this guy literally sit there scrutinizing every call and making sure it is right while the other guys take care of the game action. This way, in the last 2 minutes, if theres disputes about out of bounds or a flagrant, by the time the on court refs get to the table ref, he should almost have the right answer. There's no excuse to watch tape for 10 minutes and still get the call wrong when the announcers are right down the table also watching on a small monitor and saying "oh thats definitely off winslow's finger". they got the shot and showed it forward and reverse, ball clearly touched his finger... MAKE THE CALL!!!!

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
While I believe that the refs cost Wisc the game, someone still has to explain to me why Kaminisky did not show at the top of the key on those picks that kept setting up Tyus for jumpers. And quess what guys. Nolan would have showed.

Reaction Score
While I believe that the refs cost Wisc the game, someone still has to explain to me why Kaminisky did not show at the top of the key on those picks that kept setting up Tyus for jumpers. And quess what guys. Nolan would have showed.

Kaminsky was worked like a mule in the 2nd half. That's entirely on Bo Ryan for not finding a way to rest his meal ticket in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Once again good Guard play determined the Championship.

Yeah I mean you're right. Imagine playing that kind of defense as guards for Duke, that "tight and physical" for 40 minutes mind you, and having ONE fool on your 4 guards? I mean of course it was what determined the outcome :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
As much as I am not a fan of Coack K, he coached a helluva game last night. Went with a smaller lineup late in order to take Wisco out of their gameplan, and Bo Ryan didnt adjust. In the final 10 mins, whomever Frank Kaminsky was guarding would flash to the top of the key to set a pick for a guard. Kaminsky switched off but it was a soft switch and guys like Tyus Jones were raining 3's. Refs certainly didnt help the situation either.. but they weren't entirely to blame.

Reaction Score
You mean Okafor sitting with 4 fouls at roughly the 9 minute mark (en route to a 10 and 3 performance) won them the game?
well you could say that allowed coach K to play a smaller line up with that Grayson Allen kid, who actually, I think was the difference maker in the game..

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Did the refs help Wisconsin? Heck no. But the primary reason Duke won is that their guards made plays that Wisconsin's guards were neither good enough or athletic enough to make.

This. The tournament is all about great, athletic guard play these days and Jones and Allen proved that last night. Plus it shows how unathletic the Harrison twins are for having been worked like dogs by Koenig and Gasser in the UK game...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The whistle was VERY inconsistent and it ended up favoring Duke. They also flat out blew two calls that lead to 5 Duke points.

Wisconsin missed three open layups and their guards couldn't penetrate the lane in the second half (see above). Decker couldn't hit a jump shot. They also gave away that shot from 3 at the top of the key way to easily.

At the end they panicked and stopped rebounding.

That's why they lost.

Reaction Score
As much as I am not a fan of Coack K, he coached a helluva game last night. Went with a smaller lineup late in order to take Wisco out of their gameplan, and Bo Ryan didnt adjust. In the final 10 mins, whomever Frank Kaminsky was guarding would flash to the top of the key to set a pick for a guard. Kaminsky switched off but it was a soft switch and guys like Tyus Jones were raining 3's. Refs certainly didnt help the situation either.. but they weren't entirely to blame.

Coach K is a great coach I will say. But he was forced to find out "how good' Allen could be. Without foul trouble he uses him as much as he used him all year, very little. He looked brilliant only because. He is by the way a great coach but this situation he was forced into certainly helped matters for him. The kid Allen made him look "brilliant"as did the guys in stripes!

Reaction Score
Did the refs help Wisconsin? Heck no. But the primary reason Duke won is that their guards made plays that Wisconsin's guards were neither good enough or athletic enough to make.

When one is allowed to grab, bump and clutch and the other not so much, things like this happen. Having said that despite all the ridiculous flopping which make him look like an a-wipe, Tyus Jones made all the big plays and shots the other guys couldn't.

Reaction Score
It's hard to not like Jones, even with the uniform he wears. Reminds me a lot of a certain former UConn point guard . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom