OT: - Wimbledon | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Wimbledon

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I think feds backhanded slice has lost a little steam due to age Nadal will be Workin that side all day with heavy topspin,4 sets

Reaction Score
I’m not a tennis fan but tune in to the big matches. Why are the courts at Wimbledon so beat down? It’s like dirt, not grass. If this is their keynote fortnight, can’t they get the courts to be in better shape? Sorry if that’s a dumb one but it always bugged me.

Reaction Score
It just wears down over the course of two weeks.

Can’t they limit practice rounds or rotate courts? Shouldn’t the last 2-3 matches be on a pristine grass court?

Reaction Score
You mean like not have any matches on center Court for the 1st week?ok

I guess. I just watch the matches now and they’re on dirt. Seems like the best matches should be on better conditions.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I’m not a tennis fan but tune in to the big matches. Why are the courts at Wimbledon so beat down? It’s like dirt, not grass. If this is their keynote fortnight, can’t they get the courts to be in better shape? Sorry if that’s a dumb one but it always bugged me.

It’s just hard with grass. Everyone plays from the same area on the baseline these days and it completely wears it down over the course of two weeks. Given how short its cut and how many steps and matches are played on it there really isn’t much they can do although they do give the courts a day off on the Sunday after the first week every year.

Fed/Nadal tomorrow should be great

Reaction Score
Wimbledon and England really should control the weather better. After all, they should have arranged for an extended heat wave with temps some days near and higher than in Greece and Spain much later. Darn meteorologists, they really should have expedited arrival of heat wave breaking thunderstorms earlier than this weekend’s finals.

Drew

Reaction Score
To a third we go

Reaction Score
I guess. I just watch the matches now and they’re on dirt. Seems like the best matches should be on better conditions.
I think the conditions are fine, it just doesn't look as pretty. I've never heard the players complain. Interestingly, it shows how the game has changed. It used to be that the baseline and net area would get worn down from everyone going to the net. Now they all just volley.

Amazing how long the top tennis players last. We've been watching Federer, Nadal, even Joker for a long time. It's probably helped the popularity, while the women's game has more turnover (other than Serena).

Reaction Score

Fed v Djoker Sunday AM should be awesome

These guys should be by far the biggest story in the sports world, the three best tennis players ever all still at the top of their game. Federer about to turn 38, incredible.

Love Fed but Djokovic is my guy and I think he wins Sunday.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am bit surprised how reliant Nadal seems to be in using his Top Spin forehand as his primary weapon and how often he will run around his backhand to get to it even if it pulls him out of position. I guess it is a residue of how unbeatable that shot is on clay but I think his backhand (not just a slice) is very strong and he can flatten out his shots on both sides. I think he is more dangerous if he played with more variety ,

Anyway, kudos to Federer for his win. I think he will get a set on Djokovic but that is it.

Reaction Score
These guys should be by far the biggest story in the sports world, the three best tennis players ever all still at the top of their game. Federer about to turn 38, incredible.

Love Fed but Djokovic is my guy and I think he wins Sunday.
It's crazy that Federer has been able to reinvent himself and continue to be this good late in his career. I'd be surprised if he bets Djokovic, though I'd be happy if he did personally. I like rooting for players who don't have a ton of time left. He hasn't beaten Djokovic in a final since 2007.

Reaction Score
Nadal never quits. But the guy is the Nomar Garciaparra of tennis. He goes all sorts of routines with his forehead/headband before every point. And he tries to control the pace of the game, making other players wait until he's ready. If I was cynical, I'd wonder if he took the tape off his ankle to throw off Federer's concentration.

Reaction Score
I would have to guess US Open courts are their least favorite of the majors. Post tension concrete with Decoturf coating (awful coatings laykold is so much better) with no sand added so it's the fastest surface possible. Gotta imagine the body aches after a week on those courts

Reaction Score
Nadal never quits. But the guy is the Nomar Garciaparra of tennis. He goes all sorts of routines with his forehead/headband before every point. And he tries to control the pace of the game, making other players wait until he's ready. If I was cynical, I'd wonder if he took the tape off his ankle to throw off Federer's concentration.
He's a bulldog but my least favorite out of the three. I think he'll go down the third best of all-time, after Novak and Roger.

Drew

Reaction Score

Serena getting worked so far. Gotta be honest I wouldn’t mind seeing her lose here

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I have not been the biggest Serena fan but it is getting more and more painful for me to watch her get so ridiculously tight and sabotage her play. And her negative body language is beyond my comprehension. :confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::oops::oops::oops:

Drew

Reaction Score
I have not been the biggest Serena fan but it is getting more and more painful for me to watch her get so ridiculously tight and sabotage her play. And her negative body language is beyond my comprehension. :confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::oops::oops::oops:
The US Open was the final straw for me with her. Totally ruined Osaka’s first major win with the way she behaved. I like Halep and a lot and would love for her to get the job done. Just locked up the first set 6-2 and hoping she does the same here in the second

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Well, I think I need to edit my statements. Serena has shaken off her tightness but it is the brilliance of Halep with some unbelievable passing shots that has allowed her to take set 1

I expect it to be much more competitive in set 2 (and beyond?)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom