OT: - Wimbledon | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Wimbledon

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Serena looked like an old heavyweight champn who can't move her feet, can't jab, can't move her head but still has lethal knockout power.

The stats on how Halepn won every point on rallies over 9 strokes and a big majority in the 5-9 range says it all.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Halep holding up that plate and her forearms looked bigger than her biceps.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Serena looked like an old heavyweight champn who can't move her feet, can't jab, can't move her head but still has lethal knockout power.

The stats on how Halepn won every point on rallies over 9 strokes and a big majority in the 5-9 range says it all.
The strangest thing to me about the current tennis scene is how players who would be on the senior circuit 20 years ago have been able to extend their careers this long. At some point your legs just won't react the way they used to.

Reaction Score
The strangest thing to me about the current tennis scene is how players who would be on the senior circuit 20 years ago have been able to extend their careers this long. At some point your legs just won't react the way they used to.
some hybrid of better conditioning, nutrition, chemical enhancements, medical treatment/PT, lesser competition, maturity, psychology, etc may be considerations

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
some hybrid of better conditioning, nutrition, chemical enhancements, medical treatment/PT, lesser competition, maturity, psychology, etc may be considerations
Chemical enhancements is most likely have to the greatest effect.

Reaction Score

Advancements in court surfaces and coating systems also

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I think feds backhanded slice has lost a little steam due to age Nadal will be Workin that side all day with heavy topspin,4 sets
Roger Federer is one of the few great players left who has a one handed backhand. He can hit it with power and topspin but as you mentioned also can slice it. That's a huge advantage for him on grass. It's also the reason he's the greatest player of all time. It's no coincidence that the two handed backhand has grown in popularity while at the same time the number of grass courts worldwide has fallen off a cliff. Of the men's top 20 only about 6 or 7 play with a one handed backhand, on the women's side I think it's almost extinct.

My prediction for tomorrow is five sets. I will say that Joker does also have an advantage in that the center court now is so beat up it plays more like clay which helps his game.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Watching the men's double championship. Going to a 5th set where all 4 sets were decided in tie breaker. A real pleasure watching true doubles teams who specialize rather than smushing singles players onto a team. The quality of the tennis is incomparably better.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Watching the men's double championship. Going to a 5th set where all 4 sets were decided in tie breaker. A real pleasure watching true doubles teams who specialize rather than smushing singles players onto a team. The quality of the tennis is incomparably better.
Match has been really high quality. Glad they're showing this

Reaction Score
This is great for USA Tennis and badly needed, so many public tennis courts are empty these days if they even have a net. The two sports that have died in popularity since the 80's are boxing and tennis. A new young superstar will help.

Well recreational tennis is booming in the United States, but you are right about how pro tennis in the United States is not what it once was. I checked the WTA top twenty rankings from 1986 and ten of those were American women. On the men's rankings eight were Americans.

1983 top five rankings, 2 through 5 were American women tennis players

1) Martina Navratilova
2) Chris Evert Lloyd
3) Andrea Jaeger
4) Tracy Austin
5) Pam Shriver

Kathy Rinaldi, Kathy Jordan, Zina Garrison, and a couple others rounded out the top twenty.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Roger Federer is one of the few great players left who has a one handed backhand. He can hit it with power and topspin but as you mentioned also can slice it. That's a huge advantage for him on grass. It's also the reason he's the greatest player of all time. It's no coincidence that the two handed backhand has grown in popularity while at the same time the number of grass courts worldwide has fallen off a cliff. Of the men's top 20 only about 6 or 7 play with a one handed backhand, on the women's side I think it's almost extinct.

My prediction for tomorrow is five sets. I will say that Joker does also have an advantage in that the center court now is so beat up it plays more like clay which helps his game.

Djokovic has an advantage because he's better than Federer.

Reaction Score
Djokovic has an advantage because he's better than Federer.
When Federer was in his prime Djokovic couldn't touch him. After about 2011 when Federer started slowing down was when Djokovic started winning. Lifetime they are 25-22 in favor of Djokovic, but in 2011 Federer was 13-6 vs Djoker. Djoker is 32, Federer is 37, might not seem like a big difference but in tennis it's light years.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Djokivic takes the 1st set in tie breaker 7-6 (7-5). Federer had his chances. Djokovic is not serving as elite as he can.

Drew

Reaction Score
Second to Fed 6-1, about to grab a coffee and settle in here. This should be fun.

Anyone else see Djoker wobbling a bit? Fed looks in control

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Second to Fed 6-1, about to grab a coffee and settle in here. This should be fun.

Anyone else see Djoker wobbling a bit? Fed looks in control

Reminds me of when Nadal took the 2nd set 6-1. Djokovic will rebound

Drew

Reaction Score
And just like that:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Fed looking pretty damned good for 38 breaking Joker's serve there.

Reaction Score
Look I know this is a #hottake but Federer is like really good at tennis

Reaction Score
With all the chicks fighting for being treated "equal" why do they let men play 5 set matches and settle for just best of 3. Do they want to be equal or not? Why aren't Serena and Billie Jean fighting for women's equality? Stop letting the man keep you down and demand 5 set matches!

Reaction Score
With all the chicks fighting for being treated "equal" why do they let men play 5 set matches and settle for just best of 3. Do they want to be equal or not? Why aren't Serena and Billie Jean fighting for women's equality? Stop letting the man keep you down and demand 5 set matches!

How did someone as old and ignorant as you figure how to use a computer?

No one here cares about your opinion or “thoughts”

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Thought Fed was losing it when Joker broke him, but guess not. This next 40-50 minutes is gonna be fun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom