OT: - Wimbledon 2019 - Gauff (15 yr old girl) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Wimbledon 2019 - Gauff (15 yr old girl)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Poop. Gauff's match is getting pushed back so much it is bleeding into the World Cup. . Hope that does not rattle her a bit.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What a pleasure to watch. So consistent and very clever. She works the points beautifully and is mentally tough. And on the opposite end of the spectrum, Keys lost her match with so many errors. Just no excuse for that. She would have faced Gauff in the 3rd round if she had won.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kyrgios loses to Nadal in 4 sets. Even though Kyrgios gave decent behavior and effort, the 4th set tie breaker showed Krygios at his most decision poor self. Quick over heated shots with no thought. Bye Bye. :D

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Surprising result. Wozniacki loses to Shuai Zhang 6-4 6-2 after leading 4-0 in first set

Anyhow. Getting psyched for Gauff match against Keys killer Polona Hercog

Also in late TBA action will be the Willaims / Murray Mixed doubles.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Gauff game is going on now on center court. I suppose it is nerves but Gauff is making so many errors and does not look confident. She still may win (2-2 in first set) but the luster is off the bloom. :(

I think her father's game plan of slice backhands (don;t see why? Her opponent is not great) is removing alot of her aggressiveness and hurting her mindset

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, Gauff was down 6-3 5-3 on Hercog's derve and Gauff fights to break, Now 5-4 on serve in set 2. Alot of it is Hercog melting down but if Gauff can get to a 3rd set. :eek::eek:

Edit

Gauff showed incredible guts and takes the second set tie breaker 9-7. :D:D:D

The pressure Gauff felt was palpable. The idea that she is a 15 year old who is coming in and playing without any pressure is clearly not true. She want's this bad. How wonderful compared to the stench of Kyrigos approach.

and the parents in the box are just as intense. What a spectacle.

Hercog now getting some medical attention. Not sure they can fix her nerves though. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Awesome match! I work with my one of her cousins but did not know that until earlier. We were in a meeting today and she said she had to leave to watch tennis, we asked why.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Next match against Halep who destroyed Azarenka. Halep will not make these mistakes so Gauff will have to play at a much higher level to have a chance. Halep has been known to underperform but I think the magic run ends at the Sweet 16.

She has so much to be proud of and has proven how much of a fighter she is. As she grows into her body, I see the next great women's player and perhaps an end to these so called champions that can't win 2 Grand Slams in a row.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It was a very nervy match from both players, but at this level it's at least as much about perseverance as it is about tennis. And Coco persevered well.

It's been a long time since a player so young made a big splash at a GS tournament. I grew up in an era when teenage girl prodigies were a dime a dozen. Wow have times changed.

Reaction Score
Mens's Tennis :confused:

The only 2 players I care to ever watch on the Men's side are Federer and Nadal. When they retire, the men's side will be limited of a bunch of cookie cutter ball whackers with very little tactical acumen.
Djokovic is better than both of them.

Reaction Score
Gauff game is going on now on center court. I suppose it is nerves but Gauff is making so many errors and does not look confident. She still may win (2-2 in first set) but the luster is off the bloom. :(

I think her father's game plan of slice backhands (don;t see why? Her opponent is not great) is removing alot of her aggressiveness and hurting her mindset

I do not think the slice battle was planned by her dad. Gauff has a very good group of coaches. And when you are hitting against a good slice on grass slice is your best option. The ball does not bounce high on grass which makes flat and topspin shots risky. I thought Gauff's shot selection was very good, especially on the long rallies.

Great battle. I am glad Gauff won.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I do not think the slice battle was planned by her dad. Gauff has a very good group of coaches. And when you are hitting against a good slice on grass slice is your best option. The ball does not bounce high on grass which makes flat and topspin shots risky. I thought Gauff's shot selection was very good, especially on the long rallies.

Great battle. I am glad Gauff won.

Not sure who is her primary coach. I know she is managed by some wing of Federer's management group and their are many coaches working with her on a daily basis but I thought they said her father was the main coach who coordinates the practices and game plans after studying her opponent on tape etc. ???

I think what may led to her slow start was that she was trying to slice everything and that shot is very hard to get the feel right (in the beginning) and it was just magnified by her nerves. I understand the slice can be very effective on grass but I thought perhaps more aggressive top spins or flatter shots might help knock the nerves from her game.

I thought her later sets were a much better mixture and by that time, she had a reasonably good feel for all her shots and was dominant in most of the rallys

In any event, she showed her heart which is the most important thing and I hope she internalizes all these lessons against Halep because she will need them all.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Cori's post match presser.

She prefer's Coco. ;)

What a delightful teenager. I must say she is very confident.

I like that she is getting useful advice from Mary Joe Fernandez. Another youthful prodigy and the breakdown of how her parents have helped and guided her and how she hopes her mom becomes a Meme. :D:D

Also, I liked the part where she thinks the release of Jaden Smith's new album is as big as her win :cool:

Jaden Smith to release new album ERYS on Friday

Reaction Score
Glad she pulled that off... what a battle. Now I have the energy to tackle some yard work.

Great win for the youngster, but Hercog choked this one away....double faulted on match point in the second set.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Manic Monday with most of the ladies going first.

Alison Riske (US) vs Barty (#1). After losing set 1 6-3, Alison took 2nd set 6-2. Third set is on serve 2-1 Alison. Unlike Coco, Alison has been steadily improving her game over many years. One of the nicest players on tour (so they report), it would be a nice morning wakeup if she can get to the quarters. Lets go Alison.

Edit. Alison wins playing almost flawless tennis. For once, me writing about a result in progress does not jinx the result. :D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Coco just beginning her warm ups with Halep — she’ll be a huge underdog again but I can’t wait to see how she does !!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Halep just won set 1 6-3. Coco can easily compete with the best in the world but she has made a few critical errors that hurt. Hope she can rebound.

Edit: Oh well. Halep wins 6-3 6-3. She was too cautious in my opinion. Not enough confidence this match. Still, a great effort for the tournament to be applauded.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Manic Monday with most of the ladies going first.

Alison Riske (US) vs Barty (#1). After losing set 1 6-3, Alison took 2nd set 6-2. Third set is on serve 2-1 Alison. Unlike Coco, Alison has been steadily improving her game over many years. One of the nicest players on tour (so they report), it would be a nice morning wakeup if she can get to the quarters. Lets go Alison.

Edit. Alison wins playing almost flawless tennis. For once, me writing about a result in progress does not jinx the result. :D:D:D:D:D
Perhaps Barty thinks you did jinx the result! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom