OT: - Wimbledon 2019 - Gauff (15 yr old girl) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Wimbledon 2019 - Gauff (15 yr old girl)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
One of the differences that separated Osaka from Coco was that Osaka could absorb just about any level of pace and subtly direct the shot towards the lines (and often at severe angles). I hope Osaka uses this as an internal lesson that she is her own worst enemy. If she plays freely, I think she will win the US Open.

I agree that NO was better at absorbing but Coco in the first set did plenty of this as well - as Evert pointed out , she was hanging point for point early , and during this time she also was able to absorb and redirect , even on the forehand side but especially on the backhand. Of course there were many instances of purely defensive shots (sliced/blocked back) but I mean redirects that were offensive , like NO is so good at.

Anyway, casual observers simply have *no* idea how hard these guys are hitting it! I remember once at the Open I was watching Courier vs. Agassi. I was up around mid-level but for a little while I snuck down near court level and hung out on a stairway to watch , until an usher moved me along and back up to my seat. These two guys obviously knew how to beat the ball, but the appreciation of their power and speed goes to a whooooole ‘nother level when you are down low around the court. I still remember the analogy that popped in my head then; that of two howitzers on wheels, firing across at each other and flying back and forth across the baseline. Simply incredible power. I’d venture to say that Osaka/Gauff was at a similar level at many points, which is saying a lot. (The top men now are at an even *crazier* level!) I learned that pace has to be seen from the players’ level to be truly appreciated.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Coco is a pretty freakish athlete by tennis standards. Makes me wonder what sort of basketball PG (or soccer player, etc.) she would have been.

Powerful (but not necessarily refined) serve, good backhand, very fast around the court. Not a very good forehand at this point - that's something she needs to work on. A long way to go still between where she is and an actually great (top 20 / top 10) tennis player. There'll be pressure to overcome to get there as well, with the corporate sponsor and American tennis media pressure being way, way higher than the average 15 year old gets.

Hopefully she'll get there - tennis could use some more new stars.

She is very speedy and negates a lot of her opponents’ power this way. I’m excited to see how her game develops. To have the feel she already has for changing pace and for moving to net , I’d say her future game will be very strong. Most high level 15-year-olds are still very one-dimensional. She is miles ahead in that respect.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
On a day when favorites Barty and Pliskova fall, Serena plays a very strong match 6-3, 6-4. One of the cleanest games I can remember her playing. Her serve was not exceptional (for her) but ground strokes, volleys and movement (for her) were all very good.

She had turned her ankle coming in for a volley deep into the second set and needed treatment (rewrapping) but it appears not to be an issue going forward.

I think an Osaka , Williams final has a very good chance. No one else seems to be playing well enough (or has the pedigree) to crash the party. :D:D

McNally, Gauff doubles going on now. 6-3 2-2 as of now. They are alot of fun.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
On a day when favorites Barty and Pliskova fall, Serena plays a very strong match 6-3, 6-4. One of the cleanest games I can remember her playing. Her serve was not exceptional (for her) but ground strokes, volleys and movement (for her) were all very good.

She had turned her ankle coming in for a volley deep into the second set and needed treatment (rewrapping) but it appears not to be an issue going forward.

I think an Osaka , Williams final has a very good chance. No one else seems to be playing well enough (or has the pedigree) to crash the party. :D:D

McNally, Gauff doubles going on now. 6-3 2-2 as of now. They are alot of fun.

Well, McCoco (their nickname) wins 6-3 7-6 (11-9) and apparently has not lost a set in doubles in 3 tournaments (1 juniors). Doubles is such a tough and nerve wracking game for such a young team, very impressed. :D:D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I was a tennis TV junkie throughout the 80’s , watching tons of matches, mostly on the men’s side but also women’s . . . .and as I watched Coco and (especially) Osaka pummel the fuzz off the ball with their ground strokes last night, I realized they were hitting significantly harder than the guys were in the 80s, even after the switch to graphite frames etc.

Obviously , this is not totally new—Serena and a number of other women have been hitting it really hard for awhile. I guess it stuck out more last night bc A) Coco is only 15 :eek: and B) many of the hardest hits from both did not even result in winners but were simply part of a continued rally.

Scary, scary, SCARY PACE !!!!!!!
Yes, and it all continues to be, for me, boring boring boring. Thank goodness for this new breed of serve and vollyers on the come up.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Madison Keys drops set 1 7-5.

It is frustrating to see a player with such physical power play just enough loose points to lose important games. Head bang

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Bencic takes first set 7-5. Osaka's ground strokes are so shaky and her movement looks so slow (especially to net) and Bencic is not a gazelle either. Nothing like what she did to Gauff. Tennis is so bizarre. I guess matchups count. Apparently, Bencic has won the last 3 head to head matchups and does well against the top players. :confused::confused::confused:

Only her serving is even keeping it close.

Edit: 7-5 6-4. No drama, quick points, Parity

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Oh, hubris. What a bummer. Spoiled a perfectly good press roll. The genius of sports.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, except for Serena, the americans are getting their clocks cleaned.

Mertens takes out Kristy Ahn 6-1 6-1

and the carnage of McCoco by Azarenka / Barty in doubles is thorough 6-0 2-0 (so far). Experience does count after all.

Hope Townsend fares better.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Svetolina first Semifinalist beating Conta. 6-4 6-4. Interesting that her Tennis Boyfriend Gael Monfils is still in it (QF match tomorrow) and going further than he ever has.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Serena up 6-1 3-0. Safe to say, this one is done. An absolute clinic. Can't see how she does not get #24.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I've thought the same in previous grand slams.... Head bang:oops:

She has not looked this sharp since her pregnancy. Her movement, ground strokes (accuracy and power) are all there. She is not even needing to serve at her highest level.

And I think older sister Venus who they keep showing is a wee bit jealous :oops:. Can't be easy having a younger sister turn your career into a footnote.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow. Federer goes out in 5 sets. Up 2 sets to one, Dimitrov pulls out a gutty set under pressure. Federer calls for the trainer and leaves the court. Mystery illness?
5th set was not competitive losing 6-2 with Federer looking disinterested and wanting the match to end.

So much for the dream Federer Nadal Final :(

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wow. Federer goes out in 5 sets. Up 2 sets to one, Dimitrov pulls out a gutty set under pressure. Federer calls for the trainer and leaves the court. Mystery illness?
5th set was not competitive losing 6-2 with Federer looking disinterested and wanting the match to end.

So much for the dream Federer Nadal Final :(

Personally I'd rather see new blood in the final. But I'm probably in the minority

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Berettinni blew a match point at 5-3 on his serve (double fault) in set 5 against Monfils. Now 5-5 in set 5.

Still, Nadal would annihilate both of them

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Berettinni blew a match point at 5-3 on his serve (double fault) in set 5 against Monfils. Now 5-5 in set 5.

Still, Nadal would annihilate both of them
I don't see anyone touching Nadal from here on out. He's playing way too well, and no one else looks great.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't see anyone touching Nadal from here on out. He's playing way too well, and no one else looks great.

Berettinni 'won' in a 5th set tie breaker (7-5) but Monfils had 4 double faults in the tie breaker I think. Guppies to the shark of Nadal

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd love to see new blood in there. Berettinni is a hard hitter - like Wawrinka. Don't discount him. Still, I think it's Nadal's to lose (ugh). Also if Dimitrov and Medvedev are both good. Neither will give up but not sure they have the firepower to beat Nadal, even on the hardcourts...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'd love to see new blood in there. Berettinni is a hard hitter - like Wawrinka. Don't discount him. Still, I think it's Nadal's to lose (ugh). Also if Dimitrov and Medvedev are both good. Neither will give up but not sure they have the firepower to beat Nadal, even on the hardcourts...

Ditto for the Women's side. Serena must be licking her chops.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ditto for the Women's side. Serena must be licking her chops.
Don't discount Bencic. She's not ranked that high but that's becuase she was injured and she dropped in the rankings. She's a crafty one. And Andreescu has the power to hit with Serena. Don't disagree it's hers to lose, but I don't think it will be a cake walk...

Reaction Score
Svetolina first Semifinalist beating Conta. 6-4 6-4. Interesting that her Tennis Boyfriend Gael Monfils is still in it (QF match tomorrow) and going further than he ever has.
Go Svitolina! Go Ukraine! Beat Serena in the semis! (but not very likely)

I have friends in Ukraine, so I have a bias, and as great as Serena is, I'm not a fan (because of her behavior, like in the US Open Final last year). Oh, and will people please stop calling the country "The" Ukraine. It's simply "Ukraine". Just because the name starts with a "U" does not mean one adds the word "The". No
one says "The" Uganda, or "The" Uruguay, or "The" Uzbekistan, so why "The" Ukraine??? Only countries beginning with the word "United" have the word "The" used in front of them in a sentence.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Something crazy happening in the Nadal- Schwartzman match

Nadal up 4-0 and coasting but Schwartzman gets even at 4-4. :eek::eek::eek:

Edit: The world is back to normal Nadal takes set 1 6-4 but Schwartzman is tough and hot so hard (especially for his size)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom