Wilner (SJ Mercury News) - USC and UCLA planning to leave for B1G | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wilner (SJ Mercury News) - USC and UCLA planning to leave for B1G

Reaction Score
ND's commitment to join the ACC if they join a conference is looking dumber and dumber by the second.
Notre Dame could be a beneficiary in this chaos. They will have a plethora of teams to schedule that are not invited to the two big conferences. The SEC and Big Ten would welcome games against Notre Dame during the season as nonconference matchups. This is all about dynamic matchups on TV and regardless of your fandom with Notre Dame or not they move the needle ratings wise. The SEC and Big Ten would welcome 1-2 games a year against the Irish.

Reaction Score
So When does the PAC 12 call the following schools to see if they want to join them?

Air Force; Boise State; Colorado State; New Mexico; San Diego State; San Jose State; UNLV and Wyoming.

Reaction Score
UCFB fan is totally right. If anything, maybe some of the B12 will merge or bolt for Pac12.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame could be a beneficiary in this chaos. They will have a plethora of teams to schedule that are not invited to the two big conferences. The SEC and Big Ten would welcome games against Notre Dame during the season as nonconference matchups. This is all about dynamic matchups on TV and regardless of your fandom with Notre Dame or not they move the needle ratings wise. The SEC and Big Ten would welcome 1-2 games a year against the Irish.

Who cares about Notre Dame. I want UConn to benefit from this.

Reaction Score
So When does the PAC 12 call the following schools to see if they want to join them?

Air Force; Boise State; Colorado State; New Mexico; San Diego State; San Jose State; UNLV and Wyoming.
That depends if the B1G grabs Stamford and Cal
then it’s all over for them they’ve been Big Easted. California is too big a hole to fill It’s like cutting the heart out of the conference.
The Big 12 will add the AZ schools, CO and Utah .
It will emerge as a decent football conference and a basketball power conference similar to the old Big East. Uof A and Kansas in the same conference. Plus ASU, adding Rivals like BYU .
When I first moved here I thought all those people wearing big
blue Y‘s on their shirts were Yale fans , silly me,
for some reason they drop the first initial.
Raiding the MW won’t make the PAC a major conference.
If Stanford and Call stay then a war for survival with the B12 is the probability. It’s a slow painful death for one or the other.
I hate these things despite the excitement it generates because there will be significant losers and I remember the feelings of abandonment well.

Reaction Score
The key is what will happen to Cal and Stanford. I don't see how B1G can leave these 2 academic powerhouses behind. If anything, they will go for the entire CA sweep by adding Cal, Stanford, UCLA, and USC since the Bay Area is also a huge market. The only other asset left in the PAC-12 worth adding would be Oregon and Washington. With this raid, B1G basically ended the PAC-12 as we know it.

Oregon St, Washington St, Utah, Arizona State, Colorado, and Arizona should all be calling the B12 about now. It is possible B12 might add these 6 plus 2 more schools to go to 20 as well if there is value in the new media deal. Would UCONN be in consideration if such scenario played out?

Reaction Score
When both Mora and Benedict hinted at this in recent podcasts it was in response to questions about our independence, almost hinting that our status as football independents might change sooner rather than later. I hope they are right.

Reaction Score
Could the ACC consider adding ND, UConn, and Tulane? FB only: Army, Navy?
The ACC wouldn't have to consider anything Notre Dame told them if it meant they would join the conference. They would just do it.

The issue with that is ND continues to get away with playing the one foot in, one foot out game they played with the Big East for years and the ACC let's them.

The ACC's problem is that they have desirable programs that will soon be making half of what the SEC/B1G schools will make. The ACC has no choice but to desperately cling to the GOR in the hopes of keeping the conference together. Otherwise, at some point UNC, Virginia, Clemson, Fla St and possibly Miami & Ga Tech start sniffing around just like USC & UCLA did.

Nobody has challenged a GOR yet but, if half the conference wants out does a GOR matter anymore? I don't know but, I'd bet that we're going to see the ACC GOR challenged very soon.

So, back to your original question, if ND hasn't been willing to join the ACC up to now, as it's currently constituted, there is no way they are joining in a time of potential conference turmoil

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
At some point, do you think SEC and B1G should just rename the themselves to the following?

American College Football League
National College Football League

They will have regional divisions just like the NFL. Why even pretend at this point?
Not quite yet....still some movement they need to do before they can fully become their dream minor league.

Reaction Score
You bet your ass Clemson and FSU lawyers are looking at the GOR to see if there is a way to blow that contract up right now.
As I said in my post earlier, I don't think it's just Clemson and FSU. Are UNC and Virginia going to pledge their undying loyalty to the ACC when they know that with a phone call they can double their revenues? Could Miami & Ga Tech think the grass is greener somewhere?

If that happens it's 4, potentially 6 schools looking to get out. I know we have much better legal minds here than me but, if half the conference wants out, how strong is the GOR?

Reaction Score
As I said in my post earlier, I don't think it's just Clemson and FSU. Are UNC and Virginia going to pledge their undying loyalty to the ACC when they know that with a phone call they can double their revenues? Could Miami & Ga Tech think the grass is greener somewhere?

If that happens it's 4, potentially 6 schools looking to get out. I know we have much better legal minds here than me but, if half the conference wants out, how strong is the GOR?
They are probably all kicking the tires on other options. With the money Miami is pumping into their athletic department now, you can be sure they are looking.

Reaction Score
Regarding the ACC potentially being raided, do you think the B1G sticks with AAU schools only (with Notre Dame being the only exception)? Or do you think schools like Florida State, Clemson, and Miami might have a shot at the B1G while allowing the B1G to invade SEC Country?

Or, will Florida State, Clemson and Miami only have the SEC as an option?

If you are Virginia, North Carolina and Duke --- would you prefer to be in the B1G or the SEC?

Reaction Score
Notre Dame Rivals in the B1G: Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, USC (plus the obvious big game non-rivals Ohio State and Penn State).

What happens to the USC-Notre Dame annual football game now? Will it still be played? Will it have to shift to the earlier nonconference schedule? The B1G doesn't play nonconference games to end the season........at least they haven't yet.

Reaction Score
Do you think Stanford is on the phone with Notre Dame to see if they would be interested in joining the B1G as 17 and 18?

That lineup would have to be appealing to Notre Dame - USC, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue - the five biggest rivals the Irish have - all in the same conference. Navy could be one of the 3 nonconference games for Notre Dame each season. If the ACC grant of rights blows up, the B1G could add additional rivals of Notre Dame to lure the Irish.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom